The three things stopping me from switching back to Dish Network.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't think they're currently in a position to terminate any accounts.

Good point, they'd probably be advertising that you could 'move' if the NAB and the FCC wouldn't be all over their a$$. Might get a few extra subs that would like out of market locals.

Reactions: pattykay
Back in the C-Band days we could choose.

One word: Advertisers/Advertising.
That is the reason you can't now.

Same reason for seat belt laws for adults(I can understand for children being forced).
Do you really think they care if you kill yourself in a wreck, nope.
Insurance companies push for this stuff. Hoping you get less hurt, so you don't claim so much.

Let's not make this thread political, I was just using the above as an analogy. :D

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish got in a lot of trouble some years back because of letting people sub locals they weren't "entitled" to, not properly verifying RV waivers, that sort of thing. Because of that they are legally prevented from offering Significantly Viewed locals in areas where others can. I don't know if or when that order ever expires.

As I’ve said before, I’d gladly pay for locals packages from the cities/states I want to see. Back in the C-Band days we could choose. I remember we had Denver, Raleigh NC, KTLA, on and on. Lots of fun.
Let me see if I can remember all we could get at one time. There was Primetime 24 East, WABC (later WKRN-ABC), WXIA-NBC (later WNBC), WMBB-CBS (then WRAL-CBS, and later WSEE-CBS), Primetime 24 West, that was KPIX-CBS, KOMO-ABC, and KNBC-NBC. Then Netlink had the Denver 5, KUSA, KCNC, KMGH, KRMA, KWGN, and KDVR, and for a short while Netlink had the 'Atlantic 3' that was WPLG-ABC, WHDH-NBC, and WUSA-CBS. Of course there was the 'Superstations' WGN-Chicago, WSBK-Boston, KTVT-Dallas, KTLA-Los Angeles, WPIX-New York, and WWOR-New York. Those were the days...

I don't think they really care, if all of your receivers are at the same address, and you keep the bill paid.
Believe, I've thought about doing this for years so I can get Buffalo locals and keep up with the city I call home. I never watch Peoria local news, etc.

AS for the 3 reasons, I call BS. I get the point about locals. I do, but the trade off in technology, etc out weighs that - for me, personally. Add in lower billing, etc. AS for Fox News - Dish Anywhere for the win (and trust me, I'm biting my tongue hard to not get political here on this one). As for picture clarity, my Hopper 3 looks amazing on my LG TV. Of course, I use Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables, not the cheapo's that come with the receiver

As I’ve said before, I’d gladly pay for locals packages from the cities/states I want to see. Back in the C-Band days we could choose. I remember we had Denver, Raleigh NC, KTLA, on and on. Lots of fun.
And then came Government regulating things..... :(

Your implication that the cables have something to do with it.
You think they don't?? THAT'S the most naive thing I've seen on here.

Should I get into the specifics of braided copper cable vs solid copper, soldered connectors vs stamped, welded points inline, etc and how that all contributes to AV distortion? Or just tell you I've used my own equipment to visually see (and hear) the differences testing 4 different grades/brands of HDMI cables?

People visually "see" what they want to see to avoid cognitive dissonance.

If you conducted a statistically significant, solid, blind test of a 6ft hdmi cable that comes with the H3 or a Monoprice cable vs high-end (high $) cables, in the end there would be no statistical difference. (FYI - This has been done time and again and the results are the same. In general, you get a signal or you don't.)

The point where the signal can start to break down where the eye can differentiate any reasonable difference is also the point where the picture disappears completely because the display can't render it. This is the nature of digital signals in general. In SOME instances a bad cable may deliver a picture, but any visual problems will likely be obvious with pixelation or white sparkles.

Last edited:
while it is true that cables either work or don't with digital signals,
Mileage of longterm physical durability of the cable can vary with build quality.
Spend some time plugging and unplugging a cable, howw long do the end connectors hold up?
Bend, twist, bend roll-up, stretch, squash, pinch the length of the cable, still passing signal?
Can you use it as an emergency laundry line on a sunday evening and still plug it back in for monday night football?

while it is true that cables either work or don't with digital signals,
Mileage of longterm physical durability of the cable can vary with build quality.
Spend some time plugging and unplugging a cable, howw long do the end connectors hold up?
Bend, twist, bend roll-up, stretch, squash, pinch the length of the cable, still passing signal?
Can you use it as an emergency laundry line on a sunday evening and still plug it back in for monday night football?
The point was that the idea of a better picture due to an expensive cable is baloney.

Sure, a better cable MAY pass a signal over longer distance or hold up better to abuse, but after I "abuse" my $5 hdmi cable I can buy another, and another, and another.

I am not sure what you guys do with YOUR cables, but mine just sits idly connected to the tv without twisting or repeated removal.

Further, independent testing has verified in many instances that many so called high-end cables have higher failure rates than el-cheapos like Monoprice.

One word: Advertisers/Advertising.
That is the reason you can't now.

Same reason for seat belt laws for adults(I can understand for children being forced).
Do you really think they care if you kill yourself in a wreck, nope.
Insurance companies push for this stuff. Hoping you get less hurt, so you don't claim so much.

Let's not make this thread political, I was just using the above as an analogy. :D

For the out of Market locals it still could be done by charging for the ones you want and that money going to the station to supplement the lost advertising. Some Markets are very competitive and many of the stations there do a very good job of local coverage. But some markets and that includes some larger ones don't do a good job. Maybe what they need is a some competition to the market.

For seat belts you are correct but that is just one component of the story. Since wide spread use of seat belts and the addition of airbags and crumple zones working in concert, Fire Department and Police resources needed at accidents has plummeted. Emergency rooms have far far less serious injuries filing beds from accidents than before. Recovery from injuries is much faster because generally the injuries are less extensive.

1: Lack of Fox News Go streaming access.

2: Dish is HD-Lite

3: I can’t get as many locals with Dish whether my service address is at actual location or at a “moved” location. Such as CW in my actual area, more PBS stations in whatever address I use, or SV locals that I could use when “moved”.

If Dish fixes those things, I’ll switch right away!

Doesn't sound like DISH is right for you. Unless you are so unsatisfied now better not to switch though the PQ in DISH is very good the other two things may not change.

For seat belts you are correct but that is just one component of the story. Since wide spread use of seat belts and the addition of airbags and crumple zones working in concert, Fire Department and Police resources needed at accidents has plummeted. Emergency rooms have far far less serious injuries filing beds from accidents than before. Recovery from injuries is much faster because generally the injuries are less extensive.

To take this a step further, insurance companies could not care less. When industry costs go up, they just pass on the cost to the consumer. In the long run, it is you and I who pay for people who are too stupid to use safety devices, smoke cigarettes, drink excessively, etc.

If one doesn't want to start a political discussion, one should not use a political analogy. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)