The three things stopping me from switching back to Dish Network.

I concur with you. There needs to be a certified double blind test. There has been several other post in the past about the different quality of HDMI cables. I think it is time for this to be officially tested by a credible source. I am sure there is better quality in material and workmanship in the cables but I would like to see the different companies/products ranked so we could make a decision on what to purchase.
Yes, you make a good point. The cheaper HDMI cables usually use the wart of the ferrite, and while people don't see it, I can understand people having concerns about the added weight pulling on the HDMI connection that can also pull on the board. Also, the can just be harder to work with in tight places, so convenience and not having the wart rip something else and doing damage is something to think about, and I've had situations when the HDMI connections on a device does not have enough space between HDMI connections such that the ferrtie core cables take up too much space between the HDMI connections and you are looking at what will be damaging connections. That is a legitimate concern about "cheaper" HDMI cables, depending upon the set up if the cables drop right at the connection with the heavy weight of the external ferrite warts, as well, on the cheapest HDMI cables.

So, absolutely, it may be worth the money for some to pay a higher price for HDMI cables with superior shielding to avoid the situations or problems that the extra weight and space the ferrite core wart can present. Of course, for the most common uses in homes of lengths around 6 feet, in most US homes, I just can't imagine the difference in PQ that either ferrite cores or extra shielding in place of the ferrite cores or even the "best" and expensive HDMI cables can provide. However, at much longer lengths, there certainly could be an appreciative difference, and if it is really long, well then you are looking powered cables with chip-sets and there is no getting around that and the higher price is simply is what it is if one wants to be able to see something at the other end of that cable.

I will say, that when I did some renovations and completely upgraded all the consumer electronics in several rooms of the house, I really preferred to get the more expensive HDMI cables with superior shielding that don't need/have the ferrite core warts. But a lot of dough was already budgeted and I would be purchasing A LOT of HDMI cables at ONE time, and the cost multiplied just did not make sense to me: it would cost way too much money. So I went with the cheaper cables with ferrite core warts. The perform very well. I never had a doubt about that, but I do admit that at times they can be a PITA if I have to re-arrange or mess about here and there because those ferrite cores just get in the way and in a few places, they are really weighing heavy on a few HDMI connections that it is a little disturbing. So, yes, if I had the money, I would have gladly paid for the lighter weight, more sleek HDMI cables for the convenience and peace of mind and even better look (to my eye), and they are far easier to handle, but not because I believed either one would perform any better in my most common 6 foot HDMI cable runs.

Sorry for the long post, but your point is a good one if someone prefers certain HDMI cables for other reasons.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)