The Times Are A Changing!

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
Slowly but surely the times are changing. IMO People are turning more and more to devices like Roku rather than depending on Cable or Satellite subscriptions to view programming. I just wonder how long it is going to take before people realize that companies like Netflix don't need Cable TV, Directv, and Dish Network to get programming out there. They can generally go with a streaming device and get what they want!

Now, having said that, it is also a fact that what makes using Roku like devices difficult to use is there is no programming guide that tells what programs are available on those devices. So, a person can't tell if their favorite program is available there without having to do a search for it. So, if a family watches say 35 shows in a month, they have to do a search for all 35 shows to see if they are on their Roku like device. With Cable and Satellite TV they just pull up the guide, look at the channel where the program is provided and hit record. I believe, once Roku like devices find some way to categorically show what programs they provide in a convenient easy way this will work to the advantage of streaming services.

Will Cable TV, Directv, Dish Network be gone in six months? No! But, slowly, the times are a changing. I believe the trend toward streaming devices will continue and subscriptions to Cable and Satellite TV will continue to decline.

And, I'm going to make a prediction! Eventually producers will film a show called Dr. XYZ (for example) and then they will provide that show at a price for people to either stream into their homes or download into their homes for a purchase price on a device like a Roku rather than providing the content ONLY to a particular network like CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. In the end what Netflix is doing in the production of video outside of the networks influence will be the more popular mode of transportation into consumers homes .

Channel providers like Cable TV, Directv, and Dish will still be around, but their absolute necessity for homes won't be. With the millions that still subscribe to Cable, Directv, and Dish Network this won't happen tomorrow, but, the beginning a different flavored trend has begun IMO. I for one, hate contract disputes, hidden fees, poor installations, poor service, etc. and I am watching more and more on my Roku like devices every day, because it is a lot less of a hassle. I don't have to put up with commercials, I can watch what I want to watch when I want to, and I don't have to have my viewing dependent upon a monthly cable bill, when I use a streaming service. Yes, I still have a television channels provider and won't be giving that up soon, but I am turing to my Roku devices more and more every day. And I'm looking forward to the future creativity of Streaming Devices like a Roku to expand my viewing horizon with great enthusiasm.

Reactions: Lue
And, I'm going to make a prediction! Eventually producers will film a show called Dr. XYZ (for example) and then they will provide that show at a price for people to either stream into their homes or download into their homes for a purchase price on a device like a Roku rather than providing the content ONLY to a particular network like CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. In the end what Netflix is doing in the production of video outside of the networks influence will be the more popular mode of transportation into consumers homes .

They already do that. Just about every show is available as a season pass from iTunes and Amazon Prime. I canceled Dish almost a year ago in favor of OTA and streaming only for a fraction of the price I used to pay.

I found that most of what I watch is available for free OTA and I just buy the couple that aren't as a season pass on iTunes. For example, I bought the current season of The League which airs on FXX for $25. At about 2:00am the morning after a new episode airs it is available to watch streaming on my Apple TV. I can stream it as many times as I want and I can download it to my iPad to watch on the plane or whatever. It's like buying a DVD box set without waiting until the season ends. Not only that but I get the episodes in 1080p versus the 720p it broadcast in on Dish/Directv/Cable and there are no commercials.

The only exception seems to be premium network series like Game of Thrones. These season passes aren't available to watch the day after an episode airs. For these they don't become available until just before the next season starts.

New streaming channel: CraveTV www.cravetv.ca
Pros: Lots of stuff not on Roku now. I can't even find Monty Python's Flying Circus on it. $4.00/month. Some Canada shows not on the other streamers.
Cons: You may need a VPN. No Roku support. Think it's tied to Cable for now.

Who's gonna get this? I see a lot of copying from it.

Reactions: Lue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)