Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Here is your FTA tip of the day. Now most of you will look at it and go "DUH! Already knew that" but its just some simple things I thought of by reading posts. I'll have one of these daily for a little while to help out newbies (and not so newbies). It will be locked so only mods can add

FTA Tip of the day

Make sure to power off receiver with switch in back when adding/removing switches/LNB's so you don't do damage

Tip for 5/17/06

When aiming a dish, if you don't know where you are in the sky, do a blind scan**

its easier to scan and see approximatelly where you are versus pulling your hair out trying to aim for that specific bird. Obviously this doesn't work if you don't have a blind scan reciever

**-blind scan, power scan, smart scan. Receiver models use different names

Tip for 5/18/06

Universal LNB's (freq. 10.7-12.75mhz) have a LNB LO frequency of 9750/10600.
Standard LNB's (freq. 11.7-12.2 mhz) have a LNB LO of 10750

tip for 5/19/06 (this one comes from PSB)

The wonderful Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNBF is actually a STANDARD LNBF!

On the two Linear outputs the L.O. = 10750

On the two Circular outputs the L.O. = 11250

L.O. means Local Oscillator

Tip for 5/20/06 (keeping with the LNB theme)

If you use a Universal LNB, for a short cut set the LNB to "Standard", LO frequency 10600 and turn 22k on.

When you blind scan a normal satellite, it won't scan the low band (which just takes up time)

no tip tomorrow because its Sunday :)

Tip for 5/22/06 (this came from a member)

To Keep moisture out of the connections, use dielectric grease for all outside connections on splices, ground blocks, etc

tip for 5/23/06

Your True South satellite is at the same spot as your longitude. Not everybody has a True South satellite

As an example, I am at 45N 93W so IA6 is my true south satellite

Last edited:
Tip for 5/24/06

If you use the loop out feature, if both boxes are on the 2nd box will only get the same polarity as the main box

tip for 5/25/06

You cannot use a 22K switch with a universal LNB. You can use a 22K switch with a Standard LNB

The Universal LNB has a 22k switch built in

tip for 5/26/06

When aiming a dish, signal strength doesn't matter. Its signal QUALITY that you need for a picture to come in

This is for aiming for digital. Analog is different

There will not be a tip until Monday :)

Tip for 5/30/06 (this came from a member)

when aiming a dish, move dish no more than 1/8th of an inch at a time, wait 5 seconds for receiver to notice signal, then move again

This one I am guilty of as I just move until the signal maybe jumps :)

If you have a tip, PM me. I always enjoy suggestions

tip for 5/31/06

proper skew can make the difference in between no signal and awesome signal

tip for June 1

Do not use RG59 cable for satellite installations. Always use RG6 cable

tip for June 2

Offset dishes look 22 degrees above where they are pointed. If it looks like your dish is pointed at your roof and you are still getting signal quality, this is why

tip for June 3

When using a splitter to connect two recievers to one dish make sure to use a dc block on one output

This is to make sure that one receiver doesnt try to send H polarity and the other sends V...you may fry the LNB

The above is only for hooking multiple receivers to one output of a LNB.

Tip for June 5

Signal meters can be your friend. Just make sure they do not pull you onto the stronger circular DBS sats instead of the linear ku sats we want.

Tip for June 6

All receivers do not show the same signal quality. Some read low and some read high

Examples
-Satworks receivers read the signal quality low. I’ve had max quality on other boxes and it shows 50-55
-Coolsat’s read between 60-85. You could have barely a locked signal but the Coolsat reads 60. max signal is 85
-Digiwave/KUSat boxes if they have a decent signal will almost ALWAYS read 98 quality.
-Pansat & Fortec seem to have the most realistic reads but Pansat will read a little higher

Tip for June 7

make sure any splitters you use between the dish & receivers are rated for satellite installation

Tip for June 8

A genuine SG2100 motor has a "latitude" side for easy setup (motor would be set up the same as your latitude)

The knockoff ones only have an elevation scale. The genuine SG2100 has a elevation and latitude scale.

Tip for June 9

When setting up a LNB, make sure you have the right LNB LO frequency

C-Band is 5150
KU Band STANDARD is 10750
KU Band Universal is 9750/10600 (setting it to Universal this defaults)
DBS Band is 11250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)