the tube on fta

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satellitedxer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
The woodlands,Texas
I was reading some old posts from years ago and I kept hearing about the tube channel on fta. Was it the tube from Houston? I remember that local channel here and it was a great channel, I watched it before I got into fta.

I miss the channel, It used to have some great ones. Just wondering if it is the same channel you all talked about or did they have several affiliates?

Music video channel The Tube, folded about 2yrs ago. Too bad too, was a great music channel.
It was carried on a lot of cable systems, and available free, while it lasted, on free to air..

A Houston area TV station might have had it as a digital subchannel (ex. 4.2, 4.3, etc.), but I don't believe it originated in Houston. It was available as a local subchannel in many cities, and the feed was available via FTA satellite.

The greatest music video channel EVER.

I wasn't active in FTA in The Tube days, but I really liked MTV2 when I first got onto C-band in 1998, until it went downhill in 2003 or so when they started shows, rather than just runs of music videos, and edged more into the urban nd new mwtal/punk, rather than adult rock/alternative. Even MuchMoreMusic (A Canadian kind of version of VH-1, affiliated with MuchMusic) was good until a couple years ago, when they started running reality programming.

They sure do have a problem with ruining programming. A music TV channel should be about watching music videos. I have heard that TV Land is going down hill as well. Why must these people continually ruin these nitch market stations.

I used to love "The Box" before it was MTV2, I remember watching Rage Against The Machine's "Freedom" video there in 92/93 since MTV didn't show them any love in the beginning

I have heard that TV Land is going down hill as well. Why must these people continually ruin these nitch market stations.

Don't get me started on TVLand... It's a shame. I used to watch TVLand nightly until about a year ago, when they increasingly chopped up shows, cut credits, and ran infomercials in more time slots. On top of that, they've been bitten by the Reality TV bug... If I want reality TV, I'll watch everyone else. Leave the Retro TV channels for Retro TV! Thank goodness there's FTA and RTN (er, RTV)...

dxer is talking about a Houston ota indie station that used to id itself as the Tube. I used to watch it some if I had to go to the Houston area. It was not affiliated with the Tube network.

The Tube was run on Channel 19-2 in Cincinnati. Yes it was a pretty good channel,.
I stopped watching MTV around the mid 90's, TV Land ..stopped watched them too. Likewise I use to watch AMC (American Movie Classics), then they started running commercials and editing the films...I stopped watching them.

A little OT. I rarely rant about programming...but here goes.

I attempted to watch TLC (The Learning Channel) the other day when they had a special on that 2004 Tsunami. Through the whole program they had the TLC Logo with a Santa Hat...and (above that logo and the Santa hat) ...then they had some absurd three line promo for some kind of Cooking show that will air today on Monday. The logo, Santa hat and the cooking show promo took up the entire right hand corner of the viewing screen, talk about ruining a viewing experience . Really I am surprised the viewers put up with that crap. I ended up changing the channel...it was unwatchable.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)