The "We know this channel is down at the moment" screen

jfkittredge

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Tucson, AZ
It seems like, lately, I have had an increasing number of times when I have gone to watch a DVR'ed program on my 612, only to be greeted with a half hour/hour of the "We are aware that this channel is not currently available and are working to restore service" screen. I never had this happen before a week or so ago. Am I just unlucky, or is something technical going very wrong with Dish? Has anyone else experienced this?

All three times it's happened, it's been on a national channel. It was FX once, Discovery another time, and Nickelodeon the third (explaining to the 3 year old why there was no Dora was a blast).

That screen stating they are aware or the problem and "don't bug them," is actually generated from the BOX and not from Dish via satellite. On a rare occasion this same screen appeared to me while on an LIL, but I found that I have to tune to another channel, then re-tune to the "problem" channel in order to get video and audio again. If I don't do anything, the stupid screen will stay there--well, it seems, FOREVER. The real problem is that it could be a lost signal or hiccup on your box that just occurs for a second, and the "don't call us" screen pops-up, but it seems, in my experience, it won't go away by itself and display the video and audio when all is well. You must tune to another channel, then re-tune to that c"problem" channel.

I stumbled across this when I got the stupid screen on my TV, but mom was watching the very same LIL on her TV in the next room with no problems. I had to tune, then re-tune for all to return to normal.

Others on this board have confirmed that it is, indeed, the box that generates this "don't call us" screen. Kind a stinky.

That screen is called the Regional Outage Screen. It comes up when you are not getting signal on that transponder, but you are getting signal on other transponders on the same satellite. This normally happens for Local Spotbeams. I would go to the channels with problems and go into the Point Dish Screen and check signal strength on those transponders. Could be LO drift or bad alignment of the dish.

FX is on 119 T12
DISC is on 119 T8
NICK is on 119 T16

Looks like 119 is the problem... or they are all EVEN Transponders, so LO Drift from a bad LNB might be the problem.

this a annoying problem. If you are recording when this screen appears the receiver will not reset to the picture when the signal returns unless you stop the recording and change the channel and back.
Although this screen happens rarely,when it does it will make you miss your recording even though the signal may actually be back.

How about just changing your name to DB Cooper bob, you are highjacking threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the rate increase, and you are really starting to become an ass! :rolleyes:

His reply was a obvious joke.....

Mine keeps coming up with a message telling me to upgrade my brain to be more computable with the new software !!

So I asked how much is the fee for this? another obvious joke:)

I used to have this issue all the time, especially with my locals. Lucky for me dish were coming out to install a second receive so they re-pointed it as well (plus I got credited for the non-working channels)

bad LNB

That screen is called the Regional Outage Screen. It comes up when you are not getting signal on that transponder, but you are getting signal on other transponders on the same satellite. This normally happens for Local Spotbeams. I would go to the channels with problems and go into the Point Dish Screen and check signal strength on those transponders. Could be LO drift or bad alignment of the dish.

FX is on 119 T12
DISC is on 119 T8
NICK is on 119 T16

Looks like 119 is the problem... or they are all EVEN Transponders, so LO Drift from a bad LNB might be the problem.
Maybe not the LO, but the LNB is deff half dead. Get a replacement LNB. Might be cheap just to get a replacement one from Dish store or ebay.

I had the same issue on my system, changed the LNB out and the problem was solved!

The reason why they do it is because the spot beams are sometimes weaker than the conus signals, and because people like to call in every time their signal goes out this helps cut down on the number of phone calls they receive.

I got that screen when a bad wind storm bent a support leg on my dish and twisted it about 30 degrees. Now I don't quite know how Dish knew of this problem and was working on it, but nobody showed up at my house until I called Dish to schedule a technician to come out and fix it.

That screen stating they are aware or the problem and "don't bug them," is actually generated from the BOX and not from Dish via satellite. On a rare occasion this same screen appeared to me while on an LIL, but I found that I have to tune to another channel, then re-tune to the "problem" channel in order to get video and audio again. If I don't do anything, the stupid screen will stay there--well, it seems, FOREVER. ...
The really odd thing about this screen is it comes up AFTER the signal is restored!!!!! Try pulling the coax to the dish while tuned to a LIL. You'll get the normal lost signal screen. Now plug the coax back in. Chances are you'll get the "don't call us" screen when the receiver detects signal again. Very annoying and obviously a bug. I submitted a report months ago but they haven't fixed it yet I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts