The Weather Chanel (C3-13) leaves analog

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lobo70

Original poster
May 29, 2013
99W 19N
Just for the record, 2002 days after TWC pulled the plug on residential subscriptions on 01-01-09, The Weather Channel (C3-13) has left analog, thus officially ending the VC2 era. For those that still use the analog signals to point and identify certain satellites, there are still three 24/7 channels.

C4-09 QVC
C3-07 C-SPAN
G4-16 The Shepherd’s Chapel

Reactions: richyrich
Let me rephrase that as : So much more information in the picture with no compression.
The digital compression artifacts drive me, well my eyes, NUTS. Really apparent with fast movement. Terrible 'Z' shapes on hockey sticks and such. Should outlaw those herringbone sport jackets also. The less compression, the better. FEC don't matter.

Well, and with that.....Videocipher has faded into technological oblivion....31 years since satellite TV viewers first heard of the existence of the system when HBO announced that they were going to be using the system to encode their analog feeds, and 28.5 years since they carried out their threat. (and nearly 30 years since CBS announced they would encrypt their satellite feeds with the Videocipher I that HBO rejected due to cost)

Hard to believe how satellite television has come in nearly four decades since somebody at HBO got the bright idea that you could get a better reach of viewers if you go satellite. One has to wonder how much longer we have before C-SPAN and QVC kill their analog and go all digital. Shepard's Chapel will probably be analog forever....or until Pastor Murray gets called home. :-D

You look at all the big names that were there 30 years ago....Oak Orion, BMAC, Videocipher I/II, Leitch......all faded off into the sunset with the VCII the last one standing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)