The Weather Channel....is BACK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can I just call it the channel I haven't actually turned on in 10years. :D

I remember back in the early 1990s when NBC was dropping its Saturday afternoon Major League Baseball Game of the Week, a friend of mine who had watched it religiously in the 1960s was apopleptic and wanted to start a letter writing campaign in protest. He did not realized that his own local NBC affiliate had dropped it three years earlier, in favor of running Creature Double-Feature.

I think TWC is getting a bad rap. There are by far worse channels, they are good for getting the big picture.

24/7 of uneventful weather reporting is boring, I can understand the need for filler. They are no different than the other channels we pay for.......lots of crap content.

The whole idea behind The Weather Channel was that any individual would watch the channel a few times a day for no more than 10 minutes each time. In that brief time, the viewer would see at least two minutes of commercials. Their viewership retention was not an issue because their business model was to have all cable subscribers tuning in to the channel for a short time through the day, every day. It actually worked. It did make money, but not that much. When it was sold to BeanCounters-R-US, all of the sudden viewer retention became an issue. They went off message.

Did it work? Last I heard, a few years ago, was that TWC never turned a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I like the WeatherNation's slogan. "Real Weather Pure and Simple". and from seeing their commercials it said they are doing more enhancement with maps and storms graphics, more in depth coverage on the ground, and a new look coming this year.

Did it work? Last I heard, a few years ago, was that TWC never turned a profit.
From 1988-2001 The Weather Channel was one of the most profitable cable channels out there by percentage. Low expenses, with good return on investment. The channel was held by a private company so the numbers did not have to be released. However the info I have shows it was turning 50% profit for nearly two decades. In 1999, the only year I actually have hard numbers for, TWC had a gross revenue of nearly a quarter billion dollars against expenses of just over 100 million.
The channel was still profitable, though the trend was WAY down in 2007. What was worse was that the trend was showing no signs of reversing. From what I know, Landmark decided to cash in and sell since the channel was no longer making as much money as it was. TWC went on the market and sold for 3½ BILLION dollars (including the web site which is a gigantic revenue source). Many analysts say this means the entity was still earning close to $150 million dollars in net profits a year.

The Weather Channel

No, as of now, it's still off....thank goodness. And I hope it stays that way. I used to watch it every day....but not since those idiots at NBC bought and changed it. They can't even get one of their shows in the top 10, let alone run a decent weather channel. . :rain:

Impressive ad on the weather channel iPad app. Call directv and cancel service. Ok, sure....

image.jpg

If one is that desperate to get TWC they should get a C-Band dish, analog C-Band receiver, and a VC2 module of a certain color with special modifications.

I'm only assuming the analog VC2 feed of TWC is still up because it's still listed on Lyngsat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, check it out, a FREE Over-The-Air Weather Channel we have here.

View attachment 94570 View attachment 94569

The STL area had that channel on NBC subchannel 5-2. I always wondered why a NBC affiliate would broadcast a competitor to the WX Chan. Someone got the message a few months ago and it's now gone :-( . Most of the females meteorologists were uhh, well, let's just say they blocked more of the middle map than the guys.

If one is that desperate to get TWC they should get a C-Band dish, analog C-Band receiver, and a VC2 module of a certain color with special modifications.

I'm only assuming the analog VC2 feed of TWC is still up because it's still listed on Lyngsat.

I think they only have that analog VC2 feed due to the old Weather Stars still in use.

Also UHF-TV Inc. is a low-powered television broadcaster which relays stations to people in the Willmar, Minnesota area. Has the Weather channel on OTA tv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF-TV_Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K34HO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_TV,_Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K50DB-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)