The Weather Channel is worthless

Currently still able to access local weather

I am grateful I can still get the add-on application that shows my local weather if I watch in SD. At least I can access some useful information while they blather on about volcanos, etc.

i don't watch twc any more. i was hoping dish would drop the twc.

I agree, they made an agreement to keep this channel, I can't imagine paying mega bucks for this channel. Its not even live anymore, just stories, and commercials. We need a real weather channel.

Well, if you think they should drop the weather channel because it 'never' shows weather, then they should drop MTV because they never show music videos anymore. Oh wait, they created MTV2 and they show... No wait... They quit showing videos too. Well, TWC will be coming out with TWC2 soon... So, we'll see what happens... :D

You forgot that SciFi changed to SyFy so they could avoid showing Sci Fi.

And that Headline News has tabloid shows in prime time instead of 24 hours news.

And you left off the second phase:

Start a second channel to do what the original channel used to do.

Such as MTV2 to show music instead of reality shows.
Such as the new Cooking channel to show cooking shows instead of the reality shows on the Food Network.
Such as TWC2 to show weather instead of movies and documentaries.
.)
The weather channel does have weatherscan that is like a 24/7 LOT8 with alot more then LOT8 has.

No one really comments on my weather suggestion -- so why am I a glutton for punishment and posting it again? I have no idea :confused:

Spend $40 or so dollars and get a weather alert radio. It's LOCAL (w/ forecasts and current conditions), on 24 hours-a-day, a FREE service via your tax dollars, and provides severe weather alerts as issued by your local National Weather Service. And, most are portable. It just doesn't have fancy graphics and sexy hosts -- but it gets the job done.

It's one of the many laws of cable programming. Niche channels slowly move to the mainstream.

Music Television now has no music
Nick at Night's TV Land now has original reality and scripted programming
The Nashville Network turned into Spike, which has pretty well become the CSI channel

Thw Weather Channel is no different.

I have suggestion....NBC U can change the name of The Weather Channel to MSNBCBS...With the emphasis on BS..
BTW Stephanie Abrams is a looker. But her attempts at ad-libbing are awful.

Do you think they will get better when COMCAST buys them out?
No way. I want Comcrap as far away from NBCU as humanly possible.
Imagine a cable company gettings it's grubby paws on a major network.
I guess the real question is, would TWC gone out of business had NBC U not stepped in and purchased the service?

I gave up on TWC at least 10 years ago when it became apparent that they had a bias for reporting weather in certain areas over ours. We live in east Texas and I don't know how many times I would turn on TWC to try to get information about approaching thunderstorms or serious weather systems only to have to listen to hours of blah, blah, blah, about the weather in the northeast - which did not include storms by the way.
HUH?

I gave up on TWC at least 10 years ago when it became apparent that they had a bias for reporting weather in certain areas over ours. We live in east Texas and I don't know how many times I would turn on TWC to try to get information about approaching thunderstorms or serious weather systems only to have to listen to hours of blah, blah, blah, about the weather in the northeast - which did not include storms by the way.

BTW, nearly 30% of the population of the US lives between Richmond VA and Boston.....
DO you really think a line of thunderstorms appraoching Texarkana is going to get a whole bunch of attention?
Heck I live in the mid south. If I don't see what I need to know on TWC , I find another source. In fact, we're on it...
Here......Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground
..............NOAA's National Weather Service
..............AccuWeather.com

No one really comments on my weather suggestion -- so why am I a glutton for punishment and posting it again? I have no idea
confused.gif

Spend $40 or so dollars and get a weather alert radio. It's LOCAL (w/ forecasts and current conditions), on 24 hours-a-day, a FREE service via your tax dollars, and provides severe weather alerts as issued by your local National Weather Service. And, most are portable. It just doesn't have fancy graphics and sexy hosts -- but it gets the job done.

I agree!! I have one that's on 24/7, set to broadcast any alerts/warnings for my area. Works a whole lot better than TWC - as does local TV weather coverage.

Thank you!!:)...for acknowledging my weather radio post!
I also have a weather alert radio. The only downside to the service is it scares the crap out of you when it goes off, especially in the middle of the night. But wait, it would be no good if you did not notice a tornado alert. The alert signal is loud enough to awaken me at the far end of the house and I have moderate hearing loss. They can be set for just your county so you know that it is important to take precautions NOW.

I also have a weather alert radio. The only downside to the service is it scares the crap out of you when it goes off, especially in the middle of the night. But wait, it would be no good if you did not notice a tornado alert. The alert signal is loud enough to awaken me at the far end of the house and I have moderate hearing loss. They can be set for just your county so you know that it is important to take precautions NOW.

I bought a new First Alert brand wx radio recently, and I really like the newer features. The alarm's audio level can be adjusted - to help awaken but not scare - and it has a list of warning types so the user can set the radio to ignore particular alerts. Since I don't live in a flood-prone area, I have set my radio to ignore alarms for Flash Flood Watches -- but I kept Flash Flood Warnings active, well just in case!

I had an older Midland that I used for a while, it had the S.A.M.E. technology but got recalled for some reason (but still works fine). So I got a good deal on a Midland WR-300 and really like it a lot!

Now I think I might get a Reecom for my 2nd unit (since I broadcast a feed on wunderground.com)..

I love listening to weather radio on a regular basis. They have great information on them. :D

Since the Weather Channel is located in Atlanta, I have no idea why they would have any special interest in the northeast. :confused:

I really don't watch the Weather Channel for my actual local weather. As has been discussed here many times, there are far better ways to get the local weather. I do watch the Weather Channel for 'live' coverage of flash floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes'.

I think for many folks, it is the 'live' coverage of significant weather events that draws them to the Weather Channel.

Ed

Stephanie Abrams talked about her pockets in her dress this morning not the 7 day forcast. Just give me the weather for the week please, not BS. Cant get the 7 day at 20 after the hour on Al, which is a joke at 6-7am est. So I wait til 7:20am to get her pocket story, which goes by so fast you miss a day or two. These storms in the south fire up fast and hard in the summer. I used to depend on TWC., not anymore NOAA radar for me.

It's one of the many laws of cable programming. Niche channels slowly move to the mainstream.

Music Television now has no music
Nick at Night's TV Land now has original reality and scripted programming
The Nashville Network turned into Spike, which has pretty well become the CSI channel

Thw Weather Channel is no different.

Always REALLY hated this. À la carte is the only solution.

Some day, ESPN or some other major provider will offer HD live streaming over the net for a fee. It'll be a tipping point followed by others. It's will be end of paying for 200 channels you never watch and 20 that you do. That business model needed to die years ago.

Prey for net neutrality.

Stephanie Abrams talked about her pockets in her dress this morning not the 7 day forcast. Just give me the weather for the week please, not BS. Cant get the 7 day at 20 after the hour on Al, which is a joke at 6-7am est. So I wait til 7:20am to get her pocket story, which goes by so fast you miss a day or two. These storms in the south fire up fast and hard in the summer. I used to depend on TWC., not anymore NOAA radar for me.

Looks like we are neighbors, they fired up today, and still firing! How about your way ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts