The Weather Channel is worthless

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No way. I want Comcrap as far away from NBCU as humanly possible.
Imagine a cable company gettings it's grubby paws on a major network.
I guess the real question is, would TWC gone out of business had NBC U not stepped in and purchased the service?

There will be FCC hearings in Chicago regarding the comcrap Normally Bulls*it Crap merger. The best way to prevent this from happening is to appear at the hearings AND write a SNAIL MAIL LETTER to your Congress person and representative. [Snail mail is much better than e-mail because the actually read the snail mail letters.]

Looks like we are neighbors, they fired up today, and still firing! How about your way ;)

They went by me yesterday I just got a sprinkle(main storm was northeast of my house). But they had to get everyone out of the river in the Cherokee big cove area because of the water rise from this GSNP storm. Our local stations have better weather forecasts than the TWC (WLOS does a good job). When we have days like yesterday and probability today I go to the NOAA radar so I can see where in the mountains these storms fire. If it rains on top of the mountain its got to go somewhere and when you live by a river you need to know which mountain. The river/creek basin areas is where its drains, which we have in abundance. As you know the water can get up fast in these mountains, so I need to know where storms are at. In the old days when TWC did weather we would use it to see storms firing in Tennessee/WNC and get people out of the river before it hit. TWC used to be a public service not just a TV channel, not anymore. A few years ago my son called me from his basement with his wife and my two grandsons in Springfield, IL. to see if the Torando had passed his house. TWC was showing storm stories and his local cable was out. I went to NOAA an watched the storm go by Springfield before they went upstairs. Trees were down on his street but the torando hit a mile down the road.

They went by me yesterday I just got a sprinkle(main storm was northeast of my house). But they had to get everyone out of the river in the Cherokee big cove area because of the water rise from this GSNP storm. Our local stations have better weather forecasts than the TWC (WLOS does a good job). When we have days like yesterday and probability today I go to the NOAA radar so I can see where in the mountains these storms fire. If it rains on top of the mountain its got to go somewhere and when you live by a river you need to know which mountain. The river/creek basin areas is where its drains, which we have in abundance. As you know the water can get up fast in these mountains, so I need to know where storms are at. In the old days when TWC did weather we would use it to see storms firing in Tennessee/WNC and get people out of the river before it hit. TWC used to be a public service not just a TV channel, not anymore. A few years ago my son called me from his basement with his wife and my two grandsons in Springfield, IL. to see if the Torando had passed his house. TWC was showing storm stories and his local cable was out. I went to NOAA an watched the storm go by Springfield before they went upstairs. Trees were down on his street but the torando hit a mile down the road.
If his cable was out, what good would it have done if the TWC was showing the approaching twister?
Newsflash. The Weather Channel was not produced with the intent on providing instant local weather conditions. That is still up to local tv, radio and civil defense people.
I am not defending TWC..It think NBCU has turned TWC into a gab fest mothpiece for the sorry performing MSNBC.
Save for a couple of people, TWC should clean house.
I want scientists who have decent camera presense. Not these bubble headed telepromter reading people who thinmk it's ok to goof off on the viewers time.
Stephanie Abrams is number one on my list. She needs to go do fluff stories on some small market tv station. Like in Little Rock or Dubuque.

If his cable was out, what good would it have done if the TWC was showing the approaching twister?
Newsflash. The Weather Channel was not produced with the intent on providing instant local weather conditions. That is still up to local tv, radio and civil defense people.
I am not defending TWC..It think NBCU has turned TWC into a gab fest mothpiece for the sorry performing MSNBC.
Save for a couple of people, TWC should clean house.
I want scientists who have decent camera presense. Not these bubble headed telepromter reading people who thinmk it's ok to goof off on the viewers time.
Stephanie Abrams is number one on my list. She needs to go do fluff stories on some small market tv station. Like in Little Rock or Dubuque.

TWC at my house in NC was showing storm stories and probably at his house if he had power & cable at the time then he could have gotten local channels. I turned on the TV while my computer booted up to get to NOAA radar, I thought maybe TWC would cover a Tornado that wrecked a mall in a city live. Newsflash: I was going to NOAA radar not TWC to get the update of the storm. I can read a radar after many years of doing so from my past outdoor shop. The Point is that TWC is not what it used to be or what it should be.

Always REALLY hated this. À la carte is the only solution.

Some day, ESPN or some other major provider will offer HD live streaming over the net for a fee. It'll be a tipping point followed by others. It's will be end of paying for 200 channels you never watch and 20 that you do. That business model needed to die years ago.

Prey for net neutrality.

And how is net neutrality going to help other than give government control over something they have no business controlling.

TWC at my house in NC was showing storm stories and probably at his house if he had power & cable at the time then he could have gotten local channels. I turned on the TV while my computer booted up to get to NOAA radar, I thought maybe TWC would cover a Tornado that wrecked a mall in a city live. Newsflash: I was going to NOAA radar not TWC to get the update of the storm. I can read a radar after many years of doing so from my past outdoor shop. The Point is that TWC is not what it used to be or what it should be.

What does any of this have to do with TWC.
Whether TWC changed content or not, the fact of the matter is the alert would not have been broadcast by TWC anyway.
Jeez..
I can interpret weather radar too. SO can just about anyone who looks at it. So what?

Here's an example of why TWC has gone from a weather driven service to a light news oriented tv show..
Tueday morning, I turn on TWC and what do I see? Stephanie Abrams interviewing two gay guys( not that there's anything wrong with that) from NYC who decided to buy a run down home and acreage in Upstate NY and become goat farmers.
I changed the channel.

On cable TWC is a little better - you get the local forecast and alerts will flash across the screen if there's something in your area (although the locals usually flash them too).

But only on the SD version - HD version is the same as satellite.

Can't really comment on the programming, never really watched it anyway, except for during hurricanes and other high-profile bad weather events elsewhere in the country. And that's not that often.

I have worked at TWC for about the past 4 years - in this time I have watched the channel go HD - and I also watched the NBC takeover - since NBC's management took over - TWC has gone downhill - and continues to go downhill with no end in sight - more and more - everyday... Budget cuts (NBC) results in people being fired left, right and center which results in lower production values which results in shows being axed which results in a decrease of the amount of shows produced. Do you have any idea how much money is saved by airing 4 hours of Storm Stories instead of actual weather coverage? Enough to make it justifiable - which is disgusting.

Regardless of what people say - the goal of this network is to cover weather - 24/7 - 365 - it disgusts me how far away from our values we have gone over the past year. It's made me re-think my employment here.

Since the NBC takeover - it's ALL about MONEY and that's IT.

Wonder what it would take to see Accuweather launch a channel? They have a TON of "weather people" <---whatever there technical term is :)

weather channel's weather maps are old and outdated.. they should be updated with HD in mind and to the times. Use some of the maps here as an example

NOAA Graphical Forecast for CONUS Area

They could put in cloudcover maps that show the percent cloudcover for the day along with the percent chance for rain, wind maps that show the general amount of wind there will be that day, with much more accuracy then their current maps which are quite outdated. And of course, providing local forecasts for those on satellite. With the advent of HD, there's enough space to have a program running at the same time as local forecasts, or keep a local radar on the screen full time, something like what CNBC does with their tickers and such.

weather channel's weather maps are old and outdated.. they should be updated with HD in mind and to the times. Use some of the maps here as an example

NOAA Graphical Forecast for CONUS Area

They could put in cloudcover maps that show the percent cloudcover for the day along with the percent chance for rain, wind maps that show the general amount of wind there will be that day, with much more accuracy then their current maps which are quite outdated. And of course, providing local forecasts for those on satellite. With the advent of HD, there's enough space to have a program running at the same time as local forecasts, or keep a local radar on the screen full time, something like what CNBC does with their tickers and such.
In theory, a great idea. However, if TWC used more sophisticated maps and graphics, the casual viewer would be lost and tune out. Not a good idea for a service who's parent company ( accroding to poster above who claims to work there) is slashing costs.
I would like to see weather and more advanced features, but i knwo that isn;t going ot happen. TWC is rapidly on it's way to my "liste de poop"....

And how is net neutrality going to help other than give government control over something they have no business controlling.

OK, imagine verizon is your landline local phone company(could be AT&T or someone else) and they are allowed to selectively filter or deny you calling your son/daughter/mother/whomever happens to have Comcast voip service as their phone provider.

This is what's going on with the big isp's selectively restricting where you pull content(peer to peer such as bit torrent is the current hot issue with the isp's). And one day, ESPN decides to offer their main channels, in HD, for live streaming over the net for a fee. As a Comcast customer, you would be able to effectivley bybass Comcast as your cable tv provider. This is a direct threat to their cable tv business model (same threat for Dish/Direct TV for that matter). Under the guiess of "these sites consume a disproportionate amount of bandwidth (the current ISP argument against peer to peer), they could block your access to whatever site they deem necessary.

They could redirect your browser to a different site when, for instance, you attempted to access this streaming from our ESPN example. They could also simply block your access.

They are already redirecting traffic.

Stop Comcast from DNS Hijacking Redirects - OS X Daily

Comcast Goes Live With DNS Hijacked Advertising

I don't believe that AT&T should be able to 'decide' who I make am able to call on my phone.
I don't believe that any ISP should have the same power to control where I wish to visit on the web.

The shift of content delivery from traditional cable and satellite providers is happening now. This is why the ISP's (who's infrastructure build out was funded in large part by the gov, I won't bore you with more links, use google) are fighting tooth and nail to control what content you will have access to.

Great thread on the current fight in Washington here:

Slashdot Politics Story | FCC Vote Marks Effort To Take Greater Control of the Web

Read up.

OK, imagine verizon is your landline local phone company(could be AT&T or someone else) and they are allowed to selectively filter or deny you calling your son/daughter/mother/whomever happens to have Comcast voip service as their phone provider.

This is what's going on with the big isp's selectively restricting where you pull content(peer to peer such as bit torrent is the current hot issue with the isp's). And one day, ESPN decides to offer their main channels, in HD, for live streaming over the net for a fee. As a Comcast customer, you would be able to effectivley bybass Comcast as your cable tv provider. This is a direct threat to their cable tv business model (same threat for Dish/Direct TV for that matter). Under the guiess of "these sites consume a disproportionate amount of bandwidth (the current ISP argument against peer to peer), they could block your access to whatever site they deem necessary.

They could redirect your browser to a different site when, for instance, you attempted to access this streaming from our ESPN example. They could also simply block your access.

I don't believe that AT&T should be able to 'decide' who I make am able to call on my phone.
I don't believe that any ISP should have the same power to control where I wish to visit on the web.

The shift of content delivery from traditional cable and satellite providers is happening now. This is why the ISP's (who's infrastructure build out was funded in large part by the gov, I won't bore you with more links, use google) are fighting tooth and nail to control what content you will have access to.

Slashdot Politics Story | FCC Vote Marks Effort To Take Greater Control of the Web

Read up.
Ok.....your theory.
The telcos and ISP's could do these things, but why would they?
What makes you so sure companies are trying ot control what sites you can visit, etc?
PLease tell me this not one of those black helicopter things

Ok.....your theory.
The telcos and ISP's could do these things, but why would they?
What makes you so sure companies are trying ot control what sites you can visit, etc?
PLease tell me this not one of those black helicopter things

They do it now, as you read this.

Comcast appeals FCC traffic-blocking ruling | Politics and Law - CNET News

Comcast Sued over Traffic Blocking | The Buzz Media

Vonage and skype have suffered blocking as well. It isn't my theory that happened to them: it's reality.

Vonage CEO Slams VoIP Blocking - PCWorld

Why would an ISP block Vonage? Because Vonage allows users to use a different voip than the one offered by the isp.

The reason for blocking is that some web sites and web services threaten certain aspects of the isp's revenue stream. They have a large financial interest in traffic shaping.

Anyway, whether you believe that this represents a threat to you or not, this is what the dust up in Washington over net neutrality is about.

I'm not saying that that there is a boogie man rolled into what the ISP's want in the net neutrality legislation. I'm saying that as corporations, they will act in the best interest of themselves and their shareholders. Sometimes the best interest of a corporation is to hinder or stifle competition. This is usually not in the best interest of the consumer.

I certainly believe that it is not in my best interest.

Sorry to have turned this into a thread jacking. Back to the thread subject: The weather channel sucks.

Read up.

I am sorry but I am a free market guy, I would prefer the FCC stay out of my internet. I have no issues with my internet access now and do not think Govt. intervention will make ANYTHING any better. Please don't tell me you want the Fairness Doctrine back.

wow, did this thread went off topic quickly, we went from talking about how bad of state The Weather Channel is now to talking about Comcast ruining people's web surfing and computers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)