The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just got YTTV about 3 weeks ago. I got a roku ultra for xmas, and have stuttering video with it. Doing some research, evidently they updated a while ago, and lots of people are complaining about it. I went back to just using my T.V's app for now as the Roku is unwatchable. I'll probably just return the Roku, as it seems to have been happening for a while with no fix according to a few internet forums.

Hello rapidturtle. I just recently subscribed to YTTV and I have stuttering with all Fire devices (Cube 2nd Gen, 4k Firestick). Using my Sony TV app Android 8 there are virtually no issues. My Apple TV 4K has the smoothest playback. I just recently brought a Roku Ultra 2019 and it works almost as good as the Apple in terms of no stuttering.

Thank's Morgan, I got it working a little bit better yesterday. On my Hisense T.V. I found a setting under inputs, which allowed me to do either enhanced or 2.0 . I switched it to enhanced, and it seems much better now. I will play around a little more this weekend, and see how it works. So far, my 2 year old Samsung T.V. seems to work best with YTTV.

Hello rapidturtle. I just recently subscribed to YTTV and I have stuttering with all Fire devices (Cube 2nd Gen, 4k Firestick). Using my Sony TV app Android 8 there are virtually no issues. My Apple TV 4K has the smoothest playback. I just recently brought a Roku Ultra 2019 and it works almost as good as the Apple in terms of no stuttering.

I sent two Cube 2's back because of stuttering. Amazon (non)support was well, no support. My 4K stick I replaced with them seemed okay. Gave up on FireTV and went with Shield Pro 2019 which is flawless. Very happy with YTTV after 23 years with DirecTV. More importantly, wife's happy. Using Cube ver 1 and the 4k stick on bedroom and study TV's with YTTV.

I've had zero issues using YTTV on the 4K FireTV stick I got on Black Friday. I'm using it 90% of the time now over my 2016 Roku Premiere+. I love being able to say "Alexa, skip ahead 3 minutes" to skip commercials in my recorded shows while I'm eating or working out.

Yeah, never had any issues with YTTV or Sling streaming stuttering. HBO Now on the other hand...

I never had any issues with YTTV stutter. My best PQ is using the LG TV builtin app or Nvidia Shield both are identical in PQ.
I can see a difference using the Roku ultra primarily the color just doesn't appear as rich and natural. I found this by chance one day by switching back and forth.

Well, after much hassle and hair-pulling, I've decided I am going to need to subscribe to YTTV for the long term. Even if/when our local stations return to full power, my Amazon Fire Recast has proven to be unreliable. It routinely misses a recording or two each week. That is just not going to fly with us. I'll keep it as a backup in the rare case where YTTV misses something on our locals or we lose Internet access for some period of time, but that probably will be way less often than the Recast missing a recording.

I can see a difference using the Roku ultra primarily the color just doesn't appear as rich and natural. I found this by chance one day by switching back and forth.
This is a good data point. I suppose the follow up question is which is more "accurate" but it doesn't matter if you prefer the "richer" version.

I noticed PQ differences with my new 4k Fire TV stick, in terms of color and black levels while watching YTTV. And then after a few days I realized I had plugged it directly into one of my TV's other HDMI inputs instead of running it through the AVR, like all my other devices, which is connected to the one HDMI input on my TV that has been calibrated.

Question: Someone told me that YTTV's live guide only shows 4 hours at a time? And you can't "arrow over" to see what's coming on later or the next day or week? Surely that's not correct? Our normal viewing habits (Dish) are to bring up the guide and browse what's on for the evening, next day, etc. and select what we want to record from the guide that way. We also use the guide to simply see when certain shows are coming on, or find something interesting to record.

Question: Someone told me that YTTV's live guide only shows 4 hours at a time? And you can't "arrow over" to see what's coming on later or the next day or week? Surely that's not correct? Our normal viewing habits (Dish) are to bring up the guide and browse what's on for the evening, next day, etc. and select what we want to record from the guide that way. We also use the guide to simply see when certain shows are coming on, or find something interesting to record.
You can scroll up to 24 hours.

In a browser you can view up to 7 days now. 2 hours of data is shown and you can scroll thru the 7 days but it is painfully slow.

Last edited:
In a browser you can view up to 7 days now. 2 1/2 hours of data is shown and you can scroll thru the 7 days but it is painfully slow.
I checked earlier in Chrome browser and it only let me go 24 hours.

Edit...well, I just checked again and you are correct. I guess I didn't wait long enough when I got to 7 am tomorrow for the arrow to show. You are also correct that it's painfully slow.

In the browser, it does seem slow to advance the guide one program block at a time each time you click the arrow, if you're trying to get to programs several days ahead. But it's not slow in the sense that it's instantaneously responsive each time the arrow is clicked, at least it is for me.

Regardless, this is another instance where users have to let go of their preconceived ideas of how to find content based on cable and satellite TV models. Like you would on Netflix if you're looking for a specific movie or show, just do a search. And anything you are remotely interested in watching, just add it to your library.

Reactions: mackie99
In the browser, it does seem slow to advance the guide one program block at a time each time you click the arrow, if you're trying to get to programs several days ahead. But it's not slow in the sense that it's instantaneously responsive each time the arrow is clicked, at least it is for me.

Regardless, this is another instance where users have to let go of their preconceived ideas of how to find content based on cable and satellite TV models. Like you would on Netflix if you're looking for a specific movie or show, just do a search. And anything you are remotely interested in watching, just add it to your library.
Exactly. That's what I do. I click on the network icon and then series and add what I want to watch. If I can't find something like that then I do a search. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Zookster
Since I am here, thought I would ask...Is there a way to get a list of ALL the shows/series that have been selected to record? The scheduled recordings don't necessarily include the shows/series way out in the future and sometimes I forget if I added a show and have to find and click on it to see if it has been added to my library.

I also have a problem with "can't see the forest for the trees" when looking for specific recordings that don't appear in the "New in your Library" section. Would be nice to be able to remove stuff that has been watched from the "Recodings" section. 9 months of storage can be a lot of recordings to sift thru.

Since I am here, thought I would ask...Is there a way to get a list of ALL the shows/series that have been selected to record? The scheduled recordings don't necessarily include the shows/series way out in the future and sometimes I forget if I added a show and have to find and click on it to see if it has been added to my library.

I also have a problem with "can't see the forest for the trees" when looking for specific recordings that don't appear in the "New in your Library" section. Would be nice to be able to remove stuff that has been watched from the "Recodings" section. 9 months of storage can be a lot of recordings to sift thru.

Every show you've added to your library should be in your library, even if it hasn't aired yet. Sometimes it might be listed under Movies, Sports, or Events, instead of Shows.

If you're talking about brand new shows with an announced release date in the future, any guide for any service will only list upcoming shows two weeks out at most. I figure out some way to remind myself to do a search for a new upcoming show a couple weeks out to add it to my library. Fortunately, if I miss the first episode before I set a recording, an on demand version or a re-airing (for cable nets) gives me a second chance.

I know what you mean about searching the library and not seeing the show I'm looking for. The default "Recently Recorded" filter moves everything around multiple times a day. And the shows often change their tile image. Fortunately, there are different ways to sort the content in your library, including A-Z.

I'd almost agree, except that those preconceived models are what works for me. I wouldn't know what to search for, so I look in the channel guide for ideas of what I'd like to watch.........today, tomorrow, or the next day. I don't think searching for "what makes me happy" would work so well. :cool:

Sure, if I'm in the mood for a John Wayne movie, that's easy enough to search for, but I've seen all of JW's movies at least half a dozen times each. I'm still pissed at him dying and not making any more movies. Plus, the guide tells me what's coming up "live", that I probably wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Reactions: docdaddy
What he said. We often just browse the guide to see what's on, and often find things that are interesting we'd never know to look for. That includes movies, documentaries, or just TV shows that look interesting enough to hit the "record this episode" button to see if it's something we'll like.

Lack of a good guide system is a major negative for us. My son has YTTV and it doesn't bother him but his TV watching style/habits are different than ours; he watches sports and a few shows that are favorites and shows for his children and overall doesn't watch as much as we do.