The YouTube TV Thread

One more UI question: On the TV app, when looking at the guide, how can I get info on a show on the guide without actually selecting the channel to watch and then going down to the info?

One more UI question: On the TV app, when looking at the guide, how can I get info on a show on the guide without actually selecting the channel to watch and then going down to the info?

Unfortunately, that is the way to get info from within the tv apps.

Regarding Hallmark, Lifetime, and AE. Add Philo TV service. It has all 3 Hallmark channels and 2 or 3 of the Lifetime channels in addition to the A&E network family.

$20 a month, 30 day dvr retention and unlimited recordings. I use Philo and YTTV with Amazon 4K Fire sticks and just use that remote, so can’t help with the Harmony.

Unfortunately, that is the way to get info from within the tv apps.

Regarding Hallmark, Lifetime, and AE. Add Philo TV service. It has all 3 Hallmark channels and 2 or 3 of the Lifetime channels in addition to the A&E network family.

$20 a month, 30 day dvr retention and unlimited recordings. I use Philo and YTTV with Amazon 4K Fire sticks and just use that remote, so can’t help with the Harmony.

Thanks. Is there a page down vs. one channel at a time down option in YTTV?

Third: There's no YTTV remote, I have a Logitech Harmony 650, but we're currently using the Sony remote. Normally, for say Roku for example, I'd program the Harmony for the key commands. But we can't figure out some things for YTTV. For example, with the live guide, how do you do a page down instead of a single channel scroll?

4th: along those lines, what are the "shortcuts" we should know about?

5th: UI. When you are looking at the episodes on a smart TV app, is there any way to see info other than selecting the show to watch? On the apps there's a drop down arrow (we STILL don't have the ellipses to mark a show as "watched") but nothing on the TV app.

6th: Is there a difference in the Roku app and the TV app? Is one "better?"

Use the mobile or tablet app to edit and rearrange the channel lineup to put your favorites at the top. Then on the tv app select custom at the top right instead of default guide. That will save a lot of scrolling. You can do the same with Philo by favoriting a channel and it will move the favorites to the top of the guide.

I haven’t used the Roku app as the only Roku I had at the time didn’t support YTTV. However the app is supposed to be universal across all platforms in its look and function. Performance may be different because of hardware. Personally I currently prefer the Amazon 4K Fire sticks for my streaming needs.

Currently marking YTTV episodes as watched is only supported via the mobile/tablet and browser.

One shortcut is hold the back button down and it will take you back to the top of the guide.

Use the mobile or tablet app to edit and rearrange the channel lineup to put your favorites at the top. Then on the tv app select custom at the top right instead of default guide. That will save a lot of scrolling. You can do the same with Philo by favoriting a channel and it will move the favorites to the top of the guide.

I haven’t used the Roku app as the only Roku I had at the time didn’t support YTTV. However the app is supposed to be universal across all platforms in its look and function. Performance may be different because of hardware. Personally I currently prefer the Amazon 4K Fire sticks for my streaming needs.

Currently marking YTTV episodes as watched is only supported via the mobile/tablet and browser.

One shortcut is hold the back button down and it will take you back to the top of the guide.

Ah, rearranging the channels is a huge help, and one I don't know I would have stumbled upon (There should be a sticky FAQ on here with "How to adjust from cable and satellite to YTTV.") Thanks!

Unfortunately I STILL don't have the marking as watched on my iPhone or TV apps. Birmingham AL if that matters.

Anyone know if it takes some time for changes made to the guide (order of channels) for that to show up on the Android/Smart TV app? You don't have a guide choice on the TV app, it appears to default to what you choose on the computer/iphone app, and I see some changes, but not all.

Anyone know if it takes some time for changes made to the guide (order of channels) for that to show up on the Android/Smart TV app? You don't have a guide choice on the TV app, it appears to default to what you choose on the computer/iphone app, and I see some changes, but not all.

It should be immediate. Click on live tv in the tv app and arrow down to the first channel and on the top left is a menu button showing default. Arrow left to the network logo of that first station then up to the default button. Click it and a tab will open to change to Custom.

It should be immediate. Click on live tv in the tv app and arrow down to the first channel and on the top left is a menu button showing default. Arrow left to the network logo of that first station then up to the default button. Click it and a tab will open to change to Custom.

Yeah, the TV app doesn't have a custom or default option. It just goes to what you set up in the phone or computer app. The TV app is not as full featured as the computer and iPhone app. Also discovered that rearranging the channels was MUCH faster in the iPhone app than the computer app.

The TV app has now caught up with the others, so does take at least a few minutes.

Reactions: osu1991
One of the biggest tips for YTTV is to access various menus and options by arrowing down a couple times while in live TV. You can access the last few channels viewed.

Also, add everything you watch, or are even slightly interested in, to your library. Forget about browsing the channel guide. Total waste of time. Just do a search if you know the name of the show. If you're bored and looking for recommendations, scroll down the Home menu and drill down with the browse category selections (Movies, Comedy, Sports, Cooking, etc.).

When accessing DVR'd content, always select it from your library and choose the recorded option rather than the VOD option (clearly marked). If you just started adding content to your library, almost everything will be VOD at first with forced commercials until the programs air and are recorded from the linear channels. Those will stay for 9 months, whereas the VOD content is at the mercy of the network.

OK guy, help me an my wife learn if we can make the switch to YTTV from Dish. We just closed on our house in IA where we had Dish and we're in an apartment until we find a new house. I cancelled Dish, and we are seeing if we can learn to live with YTTV before we move to a house and have to decide whether to get Dish again. We need help in learning how to best use YTTV and the changes. We've had satellite TV (Directv or Dish) since 1995 so this is a major change for us (and we watch a lot of TV.)

First: In addition to YTTV, we have Netflix, Hulu and Prime. Also, all questions are on the smart TV app as that is the only way my wife will be watching (at least for now.)

Second: The only channels we REALLY need to have in addition to the current YTTV lineup is (according to my wife) - Hallmark, Lifetime, and A&E. How do we get those in the easiest way for her to use. She is not a tech person, she likes that our new Sony 950G TV has the apps built in and she doesn't have to switch inputs etc. FWIW.

Third: There's no YTTV remote, I have a Logitech Harmony 650, but we're currently using the Sony remote. Normally, for say Roku for example, I'd program the Harmony for the key commands. But we can't figure out some things for YTTV. For example, with the live guide, how do you do a page down instead of a single channel scroll?

4th: along those lines, what are the "shortcuts" we should know about?

5th: UI. When you are looking at the episodes on a smart TV app, is there any way to see info other than selecting the show to watch? On the apps there's a drop down arrow (we STILL don't have the ellipses to mark a show as "watched") but nothing on the TV app.

6th: Is there a difference in the Roku app and the TV app? Is one "better?"

Thanks! I'd love to be able to cut the cord, so we are forcing ourselves to use YTTV instead of the cable than comes with the apartment.
We recently made the change too from Dish to YTTV. We had Dish for over 11 years (thanks Claude!), with DirecTV before then. The wife also watches the Hallmark Channel and UPTv, so we also subscribed to Philo. I think one can subscribe just to Hallmark channels for $5/mo direct through their app.

The device we have been using are the Roku Ultras. We had been using them for all our streaming channels anyway. Picked them up last year during Black Friday for $50. Our internet is great here, so we don't have any issues streaming in the house. Last month, my reports showed the family room Roku streamed over 600 GB worth of data. Glad I have the unlimited data plan. I find that separate streaming boxes get much better support than the apps through the TVs.

I have only found that the mark show as watched is on my computer browser. Haven't seen it on my IOS app or Roku.

The only negative my wife has is the fact that there isn't much of a guide with the Roku. Searching doesn't find the program that very often either unless you are very specific. I think a lot depends on how one is computer savvy. YTTV is quite slow at times making changes, but overall we like it. I love the fact that we each have our own profiles, so we can record our own shows. That way my wife doesn't need to see any of my sports shows if she just wants to watch her own shows.

I think one can subscribe just to Hallmark channels for $5/mo direct through their app.

That is Hallmarks streaming service, Hallmark Movies Now and it does not include the live linear channels programming or any of the new movies. It is strictly an archived library service and occasionally they may debut a movie on it once or twice a year that for whatever reason they didn't feel would be good for the regular tv service.

That is Hallmarks streaming service, Hallmark Movies Now and it does not include the live linear channels programming or any of the new movies. It is strictly an archived library service and occasionally they may debut a movie on it once or twice a year that for whatever reason they didn't feel would be good for the regular tv service.

Regular Hallmark channels have commercials,Hallmark Movies Now has no commercials.

HBO Max is now available through Youtube TV for $14.99.

What's weird is HBO is also available for $14.99.
As I posted in the other thread, my guess is YTTV is contractually obligated to offer HBO as a standalone. They effectively "hid" the standalone HBO at the bottom of the list of all the add-on options, whereas HBO Max is at the very top (with Showtime, Starz, Cinemax and Epix). If someone signs up for HBO Max, the checkbox for standalone HBO disappears, so it's impossible to sign up for both through YTTV by mistake.

The fact of the matter is, if you only have a Roku or FireTV device, you won't have access to HBO Max content anyway, except on a computer or mobile device.

Reactions: mackie99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts