There are too many ads on this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I've been a member here for over 6 years off and on.

When I was 1st on here, there were very few ads.

Now, there are many. In fact I count 3 huge banner ads while I'm posting this.

The ads in between threads is most annoying, and disrupts the fluidity of the page.

I know satelliteguys has to "keep the lights on", but this site is starting to look more like a video poker game than a forum.

You could become a supporter, instead of a thread starter, and all the ads will go away.....

I buy my membership for half price during the charity drive :) that means I'm paying a whopping 2.75 cents a day to be rid of the adverts. Wish I could do that with TV channels.

Last edited:
I actually removed 2 ad locations last week in a test. Although I should add them back in as our revenue is down about 70% over last year due to two of our biggest ad agencies going away. (Open X Marketplace closed down and pulsepoint stopped serving ads to forums)

While our earning are down the costs of running the site are going up and up.

We just did some big work to our servers including additional memory and new hard drives making the site the fastest it ever has been, which I like. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I've been a member here for over 6 years off and on.

When I was 1st on here, there were very few ads.

Now, there are many. In fact I count 3 huge banner ads while I'm posting this.

The ads in between threads is most annoying, and disrupts the fluidity of the page.

I know satelliteguys has to "keep the lights on", but this site is starting to look more like a video poker game than a forum.

Then get out. Bye. ...or.... just cough up 20 bucks for a Pub Membership & the ads go away, AND, we'll have no place to hide from you anymore! :eek: :facepalm

Word of the day: frugal

I have recently noticed additional advert inserts.
Even more intrusive.

We just did some big work to our servers including additional memory and new hard drives making the site the fastest it ever has been, which I like. :)
Faster doesn't make it better.
Especially when waiting for the adverts to load! :)

How about making do with what we got?
Is this deficit spending modeled on the US government?
We all know how well that's working out! ;)

Then get out. Bye. ...or.... just cough up 20 bucks for a Pub Membership & the ads go away, AND, we'll have no place to hide from you anymore! :eek: :facepalm
WOW and you're a Staff member! Great public relations skills!:rolleyes:

You just answered the reason for not getting my $20, And most likely the reason of many others!

I have recently noticed additional advert inserts. Even more intrusive. Faster doesn't make it better. Especially when waiting for the adverts to load! :) How about making do with what we got? Is this deficit spending modeled on the US government? We all know how well that's working out! ;)

People still don't get it that when we don't make enough to pay the bills the extra comes out of my pocket. Remember SatelliteGuys is NOT my Job. I actually work 50 hours a week too. ;)

WOW and you're a Staff member! Great public relations skills!:rolleyes:

You just answered the reason for not getting my $20, And most likely the reason of many others!
Sorry if my post bothered you. I would not have responded in that way to anyone else. There's WAY more to this than what you see here. I'll just leave it at that.

People still don't get it that when we don't make enough to pay the bills the extra comes out of my pocket. Remember SatelliteGuys is NOT my Job. I actually work 50 hours a week too. ;)

You must be the only person alive with an internet website that doesn't make you any money. LOL!

I would like to add that the times we do make money, we usually try to do something for the members. Such as our holiday party, random give aways, etc.

As already pointed out, this is from a staff member ? There are much more professional ways to respond....

Run MORE ads.

You have stated in the past that pub memberships were a drop in the bucket and the real money came from the "gold" sponsors. I presume you have fewer or have to charge less nowadays....

As already pointed out, this is from a staff member ? There are much more professional ways to respond....
Many times I don't agree with you Hall, but I do agree here unfortunately. Just some people are passionate at what we do here I guess.

I am sorry for his comment.

Even though we like to take the money and put it back into the site (and do things like out Holiday Party) none of the staff here is paid. I wish I could pay them, that would be cool to have a paid staff here... Maybe someday.

Run MORE ads.

You have stated in the past that pub memberships were a drop in the bucket and the real money came from the "gold" sponsors. I presume you have fewer or have to charge less nowadays....

No we stopped taking Gold Sponsorships almost 3 years ago, and in fact (And its already been announced) that we are discontinuing the Gold Sponsor program at the end of the year.

Many times I don't agree with you Hall, but I do agree here unfortunately. Just some people are passionate at what we do here I guess.

I am sorry for his comment.

Even though we like to take the money and put it back into the site (and do things like out Holiday Party) none of the staff here is paid. I wish I could pay them, that would be cool to have a paid staff here... Maybe someday.
Mind you, I just ask questions or point out things I see. I know it's none of my business if the site makes money, loses money, etc, etc nor have I second-guessed you (like comments above).

As for eurosport, pffft, he/she is new to this whole admin thing..... They just haven't had their orientation class yet :D

And why, on the multiple occasions where you again have agreed with my comments, you have to point out the times you don't agree with me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts