They finally beat me!!!!

sammy4041

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Well, there is someone out there that insists that I should not be able to enjoy this new technology that is out there. I don't know what I did to this person to have this whammy put on me, but I truly apologize.

For starters, my LCD TV had the same part go out on it twice during the 3 year extended warranty. I would say that loss of TV time during those two breakdowns was about 4 months, and that is no lie. Now that the TV is out of warranty I am getting some other problem that is occuring that go figure is being experienced by all the other Samsung owners that own the same TV. So I have been dealing with that, (red pixils all over the picture.).

When the free dish for life happened to occur I didn't know anything about it and did a package change to one of dish america plans and apparently that un-grandfarthered me from Free HD for Life. I am still trying to fight with them about that.

Well the kicker happened today, I have the VIP622 and lost everything, all the shows on the DVR, no pause, no rewind, Nothing. So I guess that would indicate a blown hard drive.

So that leads me to my question. I have DHPP, but am really thinking about getting rid of Dish, I mean I cant even enjoy the HD I do have with all the red pixels all over the screen. So is it possible to terminate Dish network with a receiver that is not working. I could see them having a clause saying that all equipment has to be in working order.

Sorry for the long post, just had to vent. I am tired of the whole thing.

And just for the record, this is not a hate on Dish, so I can get Direct thread, if I get rid of it, I will probably have nothing but the OTA.

I can't argue with it, I also cant afford a new TV right now, I just think a TV should last more that 4 years,(LCD or PLASMA)

Anyways, I just talked to my wife and we are going to get a new 622 and watch the crappy TV and pay 20 bucks for HD that everyone else in our same situation is paying 10 dollars for.

Oh well.

Well, there is someone out there that insists that I should not be able to enjoy this new technology that is out there. I don't know what I did to this person to have this whammy put on me, but I truly apologize.

For starters, my LCD TV had the same part go out on it twice during the 3 year extended warranty. I would say that loss of TV time during those two breakdowns was about 4 months, and that is no lie. Now that the TV is out of warranty I am getting some other problem that is occuring that go figure is being experienced by all the other Samsung owners that own the same TV. So I have been dealing with that, (red pixils all over the picture.).

When the free dish for life happened to occur I didn't know anything about it and did a package change to one of dish america plans and apparently that un-grandfarthered me from Free HD for Life. I am still trying to fight with them about that.

Well the kicker happened today, I have the VIP622 and lost everything, all the shows on the DVR, no pause, no rewind, Nothing. So I guess that would indicate a blown hard drive.

So that leads me to my question. I have DHPP, but am really thinking about getting rid of Dish, I mean I cant even enjoy the HD I do have with all the red pixels all over the screen. So is it possible to terminate Dish network with a receiver that is not working. I could see them having a clause saying that all equipment has to be in working order.

Sorry for the long post, just had to vent. I am tired of the whole thing.
As I understand the rules....No..just cancel and send back the receivers and remotes. They may ask you for the LNB ,but you can just tell them the dish is inaccessable.

red pixels

I can't argue with it, I also cant afford a new TV right now, I just think a TV should last more that 4 years,(LCD or PLASMA)

Anyways, I just talked to my wife and we are going to get a new 622 and watch the crappy TV and pay 20 bucks for HD that everyone else in our same situation is paying 10 dollars for.

Oh well.

The red pixel problem on the sammy sounds like the drive circuitry is going bad. Sammy's had a bunch of service problems in the past few years. Went thru that w/ some DLP's at a station where I formerly worked. Probably not worth the price of getting it fixed. You will be better off getting something else when you can afford it. Just get an exchange for the 622 maybe you will get a 722 or they will not have it and get a 722k. Since you have DHPP then it will cost little.

All I can say is that based on all your bad luck- you must have the same evil, spell casting, mother in-law that I do - good luck to you

Thanks for the help guys, one good thing might come out of this is I might get rid of that ugly silver receiver that sits next to my other 5 black components.

Sammy under any other name

I have a Sony that is four years old and it has blue pixels all over two thirds of the screen. I know what you mean.

To paraphrase a Sammy under any other name stinks just as bad. I really don't know who made your $ony but since they don't (make them) it could be a different Sammy model. I think blue would be better than red eye, heck it even goes along w/ the blu ray. :D

Samsung is generally good to me, but I got one 50 inch set with the same problem with the red pixils.

Not sure what caused it, but I think its due to the fact that my girlfriend purposely left it on for weeks at a time on the screen saver screen from the 722 without using it.

Its her Tv, so I don't care but I think she did it to spite me because I kept on putting post it notes on the TV to remind her to turn it off.

Oh well.

Got news for you: NO manufacturer, nor engineer, is going to say that modern TV's will last anything beyond 3 years. So get over that one :). I know, it is hard; I'm still having a hard time getting over it, as well. However, some do last close to 5 years, with some luck, of which you have not had, the good kind, anyway.

However a good brand and good model, better than entry level, has a better chance (still some luck) of lasting more than 3 years. Yes, some cheap, entry levels could somehow make it to 5 years as well. If you can get 5 years out of it in normal use, than you have exceeded what is expected from today's electronics and should consider it a triumph. These are not the days of 1980's CRT that would last DECADES. Those day were long gone a long time ago. I still have a Sony I use from 1983 and, in particular, a JVC from 1992 that has been and still is heavily used every single day, although they both look like they could go any day now, they both keep on ticking. We really dread the day they die because we really don't need nor want an additional flat screen TV. The old CRT's serve their purpose perfectly.

However, I fell you pain. The 3 year average really stinks, even it we do mange to make it last 5 years, that is really far too soon to have to buy a new TV, especially if it is the main, fancy, high-end model, expensive HDTV. My brother is having sob stories regarding the lamps on his DLP, and man, he is upset about it, but they do watch a lot of TV and the kids play Guitar Hero, etc. In other words, they run that lamp almost all the time. He is going on 2 years with it.

I'm with you on this, it is just unfortunate that the realities are just the opposite. Best of luck to you, and yes PLASMA HDTV's are very affordable right now and with big screens and under $1,000. Try Target or Wal Mart for your budget, but please do research on a model you are interested in buying to save yourself heartache.

Last edited: