They won't let me have the HBO Showtime promotion...

jcw74801

Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I got Dish for the first time back in January. At the time I got Cinemax for a penny and HBO Starz for 3 months.

The current HBO Showtime 3 month promotion says you are ineligible if you have had HBO as a promotion during the last 6 months. It's been longer than 6 months for me.

I tried to order it over the phone and with chat and both reps said I can't have it because I already had the HBO Starz. The phone rep got the supervisor involved who still said no. The chat rep said the system would not let her add it because HBO Starz promo was showing on my account. But it has been more than 6 months ago.

If it's free I'd like to have it. I think I qualify and they think I don't. So what do you do when they don't seem to understand? Wait for the next offer to come along? Or is there something else I can do?

thanks,
John

Go bang your head against a brick wall, you seem to like pain.

System says you don't qualify and DISH computers are very hard to argue with.

I got Dish for the first time back in January. At the time I got Cinemax for a penny and HBO Starz for 3 months.

The current HBO Showtime 3 month promotion says you are ineligible if you have had HBO as a promotion during the last 6 months. It's been longer than 6 months for me.

I tried to order it over the phone and with chat and both reps said I can't have it because I already had the HBO Starz. The phone rep got the supervisor involved who still said no. The chat rep said the system would not let her add it because HBO Starz promo was showing on my account. But it has been more than 6 months ago.

If it's free I'd like to have it. I think I qualify and they think I don't. So what do you do when they don't seem to understand? Wait for the next offer to come along? Or is there something else I can do?

thanks,
John
Current Promotion are for New Customers . You and I are not new customers. Every time they advertise a promo that is usually for new customers.

no its not, if you provide a valid email and have not had either service for 6 months you qualify if you are a current customer, dont just spew out bogus info

Since you went through the proper channels, I would suggest a Email to ceo@dishnetwork. Every time I was right and the computer was wrong ,his people fixed it for me.

no its not, if you provide a valid email and have not had either service for 6 months you qualify if you are a current customer, dont just spew out bogus info

I'm sorry but what makes you think you are "entitled" to Free HBO again when you haven't even been a customer for a year yet. MY GOD !!! :rant:

It all ready takes almost 2 years for a provider to break even on a new customer with everything they give away for free in the beginning. Giving away more free stuff just prolongs their break even point.

These type of whining complaints are what is wrong with America today. Today's generations all feel they are "entitled" to everything.

I'm sorry but what makes you think you are "entitled" to Free HBO again when you haven't even been a customer for a year yet. MY GOD !!! :rant:

It all ready takes almost 2 years for a provider to break even on a new customer with everything they give away for free in the beginning. Giving away more free stuff just prolongs their break even point.

These type of whining complaints are what is wrong with America today. Today's generations all feel they are "entitled" to everything.

Funny post.

The so called "whining" is because Dish website says that you are entitled. Get Dish to remove it from their website and the whining would stop.:rolleyes:

Funny post.

The so called "whining" is because Dish website says that you are entitled. Get Dish to remove it from their website and the whining would stop.:rolleyes:

Here is what is says about the promo for existing customers right from the dish site..........................

Other restrictions may apply. Customers who have received HBO or Showtime as part of a free promotion within the last 6 months are not eligible.

I do not see it anywhere where it says "EVERYONE QUALIFIES". It clearly states......."Other restrictions may apply". Just another case of people only reading what they want and not the entire disclaimer.

The op obviously didn't read this part or just chose to ignore it and thinks he's entitled.

Here is what is says about the promo for existing customers right from the dish site..........................

Other restrictions may apply. Customers who have received HBO or Showtime as part of a free promotion within the last 6 months are not eligible.

I do not see it anywhere where it says "EVERYONE QUALIFIES". It clearly states......."Other restrictions may apply". Just another case of people only reading what they want and not the entire disclaimer.

The op obviously didn't read this part or just chose to ignore it and thinks he's entitled.

LG 55LH50 55 inch Full HD Multi system LCD TV For 110-240 Volts
$4,199.99 - Samstores

......and the resrtictions are???
You can't tell me and Dish can't either. That is what has the op and others puzzeled.

Let me add.

I called Dish when this promo started and was told "you qualify" and they will appear in your guide within 20 minutes. Called back after an hour and was told the same. Called back after an hour and said I did NOT qualify and to call back in November. Called back in November. Told me it is on my account notes to call back in November but I did not qualify. Could not tell me why. Just that it was locked out and could not be added. The problem is that some, that are in my exact situation did get it added. If I were told I did not qualify, fine. I can except that. Don't tell me that I do Twice and then tell me to call back later to get the promo. This is a Dish problem, not mine.

LG 55LH50 55 inch Full HD Multi system LCD TV For 110-240 Volts
$4,199.99 - Samstores

......and the resrtictions are???
You can't tell me and Dish can't either. That is what has the op and others puzzeled.

He went through the channels and was told no. So he now wants to go cry up the tree to someone to still try to get his free HBO..... AGAIN for the second time in under a year.

This would fall under..........."other restrictions may apply". Just accept it and move on.

If he's had a 6 month break, without the channels as Dish states, why can't he get them?

Your point has no point, damjr. He's within the rules.

Not sure what your generation is, but making up the rules as you're going along doesn't sit too well either.

If he's had a 6 month break, without the channels as Dish states, why can't he get them?

Your point has no point, damjr. He's within the rules.

Not sure what your generation is, but making up the rules as you're going along doesn't sit too well either.

Do we know his entire story and record with Dish? No. The only ones who do are Dish.
Maybe he was late on some bills or has a lower end package or whatever Dish has decided to not qualify him for, but the fact is HE DID NOT QUALIFY. So, again........... "some restrictions may apply".

It's a free offer to customers who may qualify. If you just so happened to not qualify DON'T EXPECT IT. You are not entitled to everything which is the point I was trying to make.

Do we know his entire story and record with Dish? No. The only ones who do are Dish.
Maybe he was late on some bills or has a lower end package or whatever Dish has decided to not qualify him for, but the fact is HE DID NOT QUALIFY. So, again........... "some restrictions may apply".

It's a free offer to customers who may qualify. If you just so happened to not qualify DON'T EXPECT IT. You are not entitled to everything which is the point I was trying to make.

"Valued customer" here. Never late on bill. Highest package (not AEP).

I take it that you did not read post #11.:)

And JCW better stay off my lawn!

"Valued customer" here. Never late on bill. Highest package (not AEP).

I take it that you did not read post #11.:)

Not talking about you. Talking about the op.

This offer is no different than trying to do a DIU. Some customers qualify for better and free hardware and some don't.
All I'm trying to say is, if you don't qualify don't cry and expect it.
If you don't qualify for the best interest rate on any kind of loan what do you do in this circumstance? If you're doing a paper for a school subject and you get a B instead of an A what do you do?

I'm using these examples because they all fall under the same subject. Today's society is becoming an "I'm entitled" society. My wife is a teacher and we see this attitude more and more in the children. And where do you think they get this attitude?

I'm sorry to be venting here but Americans need to stop putting there hands out and expecting everything for nothing, think they are entitled, and start getting back to proving to the world that we are the best and not just a bunch of fat whining freeloaders.

There seem to be a lot of corporate apologists in these forums.

Yes, people that pay for a service under agreed upon terms EXPECT SAID CORPORATION WHO THEY ARE PAYING MONEY TO EACH AND EVERY MONTH TO HONOR SAID AGREED UPON TERMS.

But, of course, as we all learn, Dish has a contract that pretty much says 'We can do whatever we like, so TS.'

"Whatever we like" includes changing the channel line up you thought you agreed to, the price you thought you agreed to, canceling any promos or offers you thought you agreed to, and general lying about it all without remorse.

You kind of wonder at times if Dish sprinkles these forums with fake accounts to spread the "Oh, pity the poor company that lies to its customers...it's barely breaking even poor sad thing..."

I'm sorry to be venting here but Americans need to stop putting there hands out and expecting everything for nothing, think they are entitled, and start getting back to proving to the world that we are the best and not just a bunch of fat whining freeloaders.

How is $50 to $100 a month 'for nothing'?

Who's freeloading?

Perhaps the problem with America is we no longer can produce quality products nor back them up with any reliable service

You've tried to make your point many times in this thread but appear to be completely misunderstanding the complaint. You instead are judging the OP as being a person that is fat, whiny, and doesn't pay bills. Really mature.

To clarify, the issue is that Dish has a reputation for making offers, and then failing to follow through on them. They are doing bait and switch tactics. This is not an isolated issue. It's happened to me. It's happened to many folks.

Which leads to two conclusions. 1) They are purposefully misleading customers and have close to zero corporate ethics. and/or 2) they are completely incompetent.

If dish would simply offer packages that they could deliver for an agreed upon price for an agreed upon time, I think no one would be complaining...even if the cost was more.

I'd much rather pay more and have a company be up front and transparent with the agreement than have to deal with random price increases, random channel outages, random offers being given than taken away.

The way Dish operates leaves very little sympathy from me as a customer.

To be fair, DirecTV and CableCos aren't angels and saints either.

I do wonder why a company hasn't come along in this industry and just made a go at it by being honest and following through with decent support. I think there's a market for that...even at a premium price. Then again, this is America, land of Wal-Mart. We tend forget everything once we see the word SALE.

i think the hidden restriction is:

"if customer has previously had a free premium channel promotion and canceled it the day it ended and we did not even get a chance to make back one cent of the investment of the free channels, then screw him, we wont make that mistake again"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts