Things I wish I had known before getting a 922.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BearHuntr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
I've had the the 922 (upgraded from a 622) for a couple of weeks now and it has been working pretty decently. But, there were a few questions that I had before getting it that I couldn't get straight answers for so I thought that I would share my thoughts on a few things that might help someone make a more informed decision. If anyone has workarounds to my issues or has any other insights to share, please post them here.

1) The dreaded 574 timer event limit still exists, so if you have a bunch of timers with tons of events that are skipped, you will hit a wall that will not let you create a new timer. The only way I have been able to get around this is to set things weekly instead of new or all.

2) Related to #1, there is now no longer an indication of the number of total events or events per timer other than on the Remote Access website. On the 622 it would indicate that there were 12 'Mad Men' events on the schedule. This makes it a pain to find timers that have too many events to fix issue #1.

3) Only the included 32.0 and IR remotes work on the 922. Any previous UHF Pro remotes do not work. I have seen many people claim that the 21.0 remote will work, but that is only half true. It will only work in IR mode in the same room, it will not work from across the house in UHF mode.

4) On the Daily Schedule screen, when you click on an event, it does not give you an option to view that timer's details or events just for that timer. This info is only available from the Timer list.

5) The caller ID on screen display cuts off the phone number so the last 3 digits are just dots.

6) There is no way to convert an existing new or all timer to Weekly, you have to delete it and then recreate it from scratch.

7) When you make the cursor invisible, there are some screens where you can't tell what you are selecting. Local channels setup screen is the most notable.

8) On the 622, in the guide, the skip forward button would jump 24 hours ahead. On the 922, it only jumps 3 hours ahead.

9) If you are recording on both satellite tuners and start up remote viewing via sling, it will warn you that it will stop the recording on Tuner 2. However, you can say no and then proceed to watch something previously recorded.​

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret my decision, just wish I had known more of these before dropping the $200 to get this. Hopefully, some or all of these will be addressed in future updates. If anyone else has anything to add, please do!

Skip forward is now the fast forward button. What every possessed Dish to change it is beyond me. Why not have skip still be 24h and FF be 3 hour?

I'm so proud of you pioneers! I'll even help apply some Bactine if someone else will pull out those arrows. ;)

I'm so proud of you pioneers! I'll even help apply some Bactine if someone else will pull out those arrows. ;)

I'm getting tired of being a pioneer.... First time I have spoke out... I completely expected this box to blow away the 622/722 by now...

5) The caller ID on screen display cuts off the phone number so the last 3 digits are just dots.​

Umm... what? :confused: Both the small (during fullscreen playback) and large (when in the guide or other menues) Caller ID messages show the entire number for me. Not sure what you're talking about there.

7) When you make the cursor invisible, there are some screens where you can't tell what you are selecting. Local channels setup screen is the most notable.

Which is exactly why I left the arrow on. I think the option is a hold over from when the 922 was going to come with a touchpad remote.

8) On the 622, in the guide, the skip forward button would jump 24 hours ahead. On the 922, it only jumps 3 hours ahead.

Someone already addressed this, but my question to you is... did you even try using the FF button? I mean, there's a slight delay when you move ahead 24 hours, but come on... :facepalm

Thanks for your list. I have to say, as much as I would love to have the 922, it is things like your list (and other reports on this forum) that help me realize that if I were to get one, I would NOT like it. I have a great dependency on using the TV2 tuner function in Dual Mode, among other things I would lose with the 922. It seems to me, at this point, the beautiful guide with logos is the only compelling reason for me to get a 922. I hope Dish fixes all the problems and gets all the features activated and working well. In the meantime, I will continue to monitor this forum for 922 improvements.

Most of these issues have been discussed here...

Prior to getting the 922, I had posted a few questions directly referencing some of these things and no one replied. Sometimes it can be hard to find exactly what you are looking for with a search.

Skip forward is now the fast forward button. What every possessed Dish to change it is beyond me. Why not have skip still be 24h and FF be 3 hour?

Thanks for the tip! Why would they change this???

Umm... what? :confused: Both the small (during fullscreen playback) and large (when in the guide or other menues) Caller ID messages show the entire number for me. Not sure what you're talking about there.

Which is exactly why I left the arrow on. I think the option is a hold over from when the 922 was going to come with a touchpad remote.

Someone already addressed this, but my question to you is... did you even try using the FF button? I mean, there's a slight delay when you move ahead 24 hours, but come on... :facepalm
[/INDENT]

I'll take a picture of what I see regarding the caller ID when I get home tonight. I find the cursor to be annoying, even when on the smallest setting. Nope, never even occurred to me to try the FF button. Sometimes the simplest answers are not obvious to everyone. Thanks for making me feel stupid.

In evaluation threads like this I've seen mention of other receivers models(ie;921?) that were seen as poor(to be nice). Did they finally live up to expectations or just ultimately replaced by a new model coming out leaving the sub with a brick so to speak..

In evaluation threads like this I've seen mention of other receivers models(ie;921?) that were seen as poor(to be nice). Did they finally live up to expectations or just ultimately replaced by a new model coming out leaving the sub with a brick so to speak..

In the case of the 921 they essentially just gave up. They just came out with new working receivers.

I hope that DISH doesn't decide to do the same thing with the 922 as they did with the 921. Although the time it is taking to get the 922 receiver stable and with the same features as the 722k ,you would think that they are headed down the same path.

6) There is no way to convert an existing new or all timer to Weekly, you have to delete it and then recreate it from scratch.
I just changed a new timer to weekly.

I'll take a picture of what I see regarding the caller ID when I get home tonight.
Attached is a pic of what I see.

I just changed a new timer to weekly.
Sorry, should have been more clear, when it is changed to weekly, how do you specify the start and end time and day of the week?

Attachments

• DSCF5280.JPG
    DSCF5280.JPG
    762.1 KB · Views: 311
Huh... very odd. Mine sure don't do that. Maybe it has to do with how the CallerID info is sent from your phone company. It almost looks like there's extra space there. If you look at the CallerID history in the menus is the entire number there?

Caller ID History shows the full numbers. I have Vonage for my phone service, but I'm not sure that would make any difference. The 622 receiver always worked fine and all my phones show the full number and obviously the full number is getting to the 922 if the history is correct. Does anyone else see this and/or have Vonage?

Sorry, should have been more clear, when it is changed to weekly, how do you specify the start and end time and day of the week?

Not answering your exact question, but I think this is related so please bear with me. I've set a daily recording that comes on live at 6pm and reruns at 3am. I created that timer sometime at night after the 6pm showing, which meant that the next showing was at 3am, so the timer selected that as the daily recording time.

So my guess for weekly is that it would do the same thing--pick the next available showing at the time you create the timer and always record at that day and time every week. To my knowledge there's no way to tell it which showing during the week you want it to record other than to time the creation of the timer so that it works out the right way.

Not answering your exact question, but I think this is related so please bear with me. I've set a daily recording that comes on live at 6pm and reruns at 3am. I created that timer sometime at night after the 6pm showing, which meant that the next showing was at 3am, so the timer selected that as the daily recording time.

So my guess for weekly is that it would do the same thing--pick the next available showing at the time you create the timer and always record at that day and time every week. To my knowledge there's no way to tell it which showing during the week you want it to record other than to time the creation of the timer so that it works out the right way.

Yeah, that seems to hold true, I just miss the way it was on the 622 where I could specify the exact day and time by editing the timer.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Slingloaded VIP 922.

Have a question for anyone who already has this. Can 3 "seperate/individual: "LIVE" TV channels be watched simaltenously?

One through TV 1 (HD), the second through, TV 2 (SD), and the third through the Sling Option on my Laptop. Or does the Sling Option mean one of the TV 1 and/or TV 2 users have to be watching the same channel as the Sling user?

Slingloaded VIP 922

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Slingloaded VIP 922.

Have a question for anyone who already has this. Can 3 "seperate/individual: "LIVE" TV channels be watched simaltenously?

One through TV 1 (HD), the second through, TV 2 (SD), and the third through the Sling Option on my Laptop. Or does the Sling Option mean one of the TV 1 and/or TV 2 users have to be watching the same channel as the Sling user?

I've had the the 922 (upgraded from a 622) for a couple of weeks now and it has been working pretty decently. But, there were a few questions that I had before getting it that I couldn't get straight answers for so I thought that I would share my thoughts on a few things that might help someone make a more informed decision. If anyone has workarounds to my issues or has any other insights to share, please post them here.
1) The dreaded 574 timer event limit still exists, so if you have a bunch of timers with tons of events that are skipped, you will hit a wall that will not let you create a new timer. The only way I have been able to get around this is to set things weekly instead of new or all.

2) Related to #1, there is now no longer an indication of the number of total events or events per timer other than on the Remote Access website. On the 622 it would indicate that there were 12 'Mad Men' events on the schedule. This makes it a pain to find timers that have too many events to fix issue #1.

3) Only the included 32.0 and IR remotes work on the 922. Any previous UHF Pro remotes do not work. I have seen many people claim that the 21.0 remote will work, but that is only half true. It will only work in IR mode in the same room, it will not work from across the house in UHF mode.

4) On the Daily Schedule screen, when you click on an event, it does not give you an option to view that timer's details or events just for that timer. This info is only available from the Timer list.

5) The caller ID on screen display cuts off the phone number so the last 3 digits are just dots.

9) If you are recording on both satellite tuners and start up remote viewing via sling, it will warn you that it will stop the recording on Tuner 2. However, you can say no and then proceed to watch something previously recorded.
Don't get me wrong, I do not regret my decision, just wish I had known more of these before dropping the $200 to get this. Hopefully, some or all of these will be addressed in future updates. If anyone else has anything to add, please do!

Sherry, I am no expert on the 922--mine was installed July 16. After doing many hours of research and being assured that what I wanted to do would work, there is a problem. I knew ahead of time that initially the 922 was supposed to be able to control 2tv's, but that now they make sure you know it will control only one. However I wanted a regular and a slave tv connected. The installer connected my kitchen's HDTV to 922 with component and composite cables, and my sd living room tv through the home distribution connection. He left an hdmi cable for me to use when I replace my sd tv with a new HDTV. Basically this works but is an unsupported configuration--I later learned. Later I was told that the 922 was not intended to be connected to a sd tv and Not through the home distribution connection, which is supposedly for tv 2. Tv2 is for mobile devices-- like my iPhone and iPad. I can watch one live tv channel in kitchen (and same channel in living room) but select a different live tv channel from my iPad. My confuration will be a spurted config when I buy an HDTV for the living room, connected with an hdmi cable. In the meantime, we select the channel in the kitchen, then turn on the living room tv. When I unplug the living room tv (to be a supported config) pip works great-- otherwise sometimes the living room tv goes into pip mode and a 922 reset is needed.

If you need 3 tv channels at same time, the 922 is probably not for you. I use an old purchased Dish DVD to control bedroom tv.

Ps Despite the above problems and some sling server issues, I love my 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts