Things I wish I had known before getting a 922.

I just got my vip-922 last week. I am very disappointed with this. I do not believe that dish should have released this unit with all the bugs that are in it.
I am hoping there are some fixes out there.. According to the Dish tech support I will just have to wait until they finish the software. What the heck is that?

Anyway my major complaints are:
1) When I play back (Via web interface) within my own network, it "seems" to be streaming out from the vip-922 to dish and then back to my browser, limiting my stream to about 600kb (My upload speed). I don't understand why it would not be going directly to my sling box.
2) The sling player is disabled for the 922 and they spit out a message to use the web only.
3) if an older sling-player is used, it can't go through setup for the 922, but it will play, but at a very reduced resolution. (Is there a better sling player out there that works with this unit? Would love to know).
4) Dish Networks site connects to my vip-922 only intermittently. Often the unit shows as offline, but I can see it online within my own home. Other times it shows as online, but the sling-box portion is offline. (BTW, My firewall is open and forwarded on the required port 5101)
5) The unit will not even save recorded information to the external hard drive. Support said "We never advertised that you could use an external, just that it would hook up"

I have had nothing but 4 bad years of experiences with Dish, and this is just 1 more I guess. I would not reccomend this unit to anyone who is considering this as an upgrade at this time.

Last edited:
It's been known to be a work in progress, a box for trailblazers and tinkerers, not the general public.