Thinking about a 6' Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well I have not palyed with my setup in awhile.....I am thinking about getting a 6' fortec dish. Looking at Lyngsat 99w looks to be a good place to point it. I am just curious, I have a Fortec Mercury II and was wondering with a 6' dish will I be able to pull in this bird? I like the ideas of getting the Virgin Islands feeds ;) Thanks for any tips!

I've got the 6 foot dish and the Fortec Dynamic receiver. The dish is pointed at 99w and I enjoy the networks so far. I haven't found that sweet spot to leave it aimed at. The networks come booming in but sometimes I lose Kcwy unless I bump the dish slightly. Someday maybe I get a motorized Cband dish. Blind

Well I have not palyed with my setup in awhile.....I am thinking about getting a 6' fortec dish. Looking at Lyngsat 99w looks to be a good place to point it. I am just curious, I have a Fortec Mercury II and was wondering with a 6' dish will I be able to pull in this bird? I like the ideas of getting the Virgin Islands feeds ;) Thanks for any tips!

I just put one up for a client for DC-2 HITS on W5 (AMC-18) It's a nice dish, if set up right it should do G-16 well.

You can read about the dish, set up tweak's, the LNBF to use and more here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/169000-w5-fixed-system.html

Larry
If you want to get into C-Band, the 6 footer is a great dish. I get pretty much everything that Lyngsat shows available. As noted above, KCWY (NBC Casper) is a little wacky. If I move the dish and lock that great, then I lose the nets great signal

Check my thread in the review for the 120cm dish and conical scaler ring. I was able to get almost everything on there with that dish but the 6 footer would be better (and much cheaper to ship since its in pieces)

I have one fixed on 99W and one that is "ghetto moved". Pull it out of the garage and move it across the arc just fine

Larry
As noted above, KCWY (NBC Casper) is a little wacky. If I move the dish and lock that great, then I lose the nets great signal

Ice I would almost bet that your getting adjacent satellite interference. Try making sure the feed is dead on center. Make a focal finder. I used a piece of flat stock steel and attached a rod antenna in the center from an old tv antenna. Put it flat against the feed throat, ant rod in the middle and see where it points. You want it right in the center. I used that on the Fortec and it worked great. Then try under illuminating the antenna. Those two things will help with 2 degree spacing with a smaller dish.

If you want to get into C-Band, the 6 footer is a great dish. I get pretty much everything that Lyngsat shows available.

Tony, how does your Fortec 6 Foot do with Galaxy 13 C at 127.0°W?

Forgot to ask, have you got a chance to set up the Geosatpro new LNB yet from the Group Buy??

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Tony, how does your Fortec 6 Foot do with Galaxy 13 C at 127.0°W?
let me check tomorrow...right now its at a different spot for the nite

Forgot to ask, have you got a chance to set up the Geosatpro new LNB yet from the Group Buy??

yep. One on the fixed setup and one on the ghetto setup. Both gained me a few points and its more stable on the spazzy Pansat meter ;)

I'm glad I got 5 of them

let me check tomorrow...right now its at a different spot for the nite

OK, no hurry, just wanted to see if it was possible on a 6 footer. A buddy of mine is wanting RFDTV and asked about it on a 6 ft, of course dono, I don't have one but if it was possible he was looking at the deal Sadoun has with the polar mount job!

yep. One on the fixed setup and one on the ghetto setup. Both gained me a few points and its more stable on the spazzy Pansat meter ;)

I'm glad I got 5 of them

That is great! I just got 2 of them one for me and one for the Father N Law, wished that I got a spare. May not need it for a good while I hope plus by that time there will be something better out, always seems to go that way! Thanks in advance for trying Galaxy 13 C for me dude!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I can vouch for the 6ft FS6D also, been very happy with it since I got it last month. And gets plenty of signal on the channels I want to watch the most. It's also fun moving it ghetto style.

I pointed the Ku at 99w so I could see if I got a place for the 6 footer. I "think" I can hit 99w from the spot that will be hidden from the street. Got to get the compass out :)

Larry
The other thing is the 6 foot elevation reads true since its prime focus...it actually looks like its facing the sky :)

OK, no hurry, just wanted to see if it was possible on a 6 footer. A buddy of mine is wanting RFDTV and asked about it on a 6 ft, of course dono, I don't have one but if it was possible he was looking at the deal Sadoun has with the polar mount job!

as noted above RFD TV is now on AMC1 and I have had some bugger of a time locking AMC1

Thanks for the tip! That might help me out. I think part of the peak of my roof might overlap the dish. If it is pointed mmore up towards the sky I might be ok. 99w is not too far out from my ts so I am thinking it is doable. What do you think is the best bird to point at?

Larry
The other thing is the 6 foot elevation reads true since its prime focus...it actually looks like its facing the sky :)

global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html has a list of everything up there 24/7

99, 121 & 72 are 3 good ones

eh, they're just the nets from NY with really loud Spanish commercials thrown in

ABC & CW are from Puerto Rico
CBS, NBC & FOX are from USVI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

picture,no sound on amc 3

Where do I start for C band?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)