Thinking about coming back to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rapidturtle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
North Eastern PA
Hey guys, like the title says, I'm thinking about coming back to Dish. Got a card in the mail offering a $200 gift card to return, and all of the new promo offers. Right now with Direct,(which is getting to expensive) I have a HR34 on main T.V. and 3 other regular receivers on bedroom T.V's. From reading I guess that I would be looking at a Hopper, super Joey, and 2 regular Joey's for a similar setup? I already got a quote from chatting with Dish of about $75 a month for the first year, with the 250 package for $39.99 for the first year, and then of course going up after that. With Direct, I had some discounts that continued in year 2. Does Dish also do this, or does it go right to full price after the first year?
Does the Dirt team do sign ups, or are they just for troubleshooting?
When using the sling feature on the hopper, does the T.V. in the home have to be tuned into the same channel, if in use?
Any channel feuds on the horizon for Dish, that you guys know of?
On top of the offer that I am receiving, would I be able to get the $50 referral credit?
Has anybody recently switched from Direct and have an opinion of how they like Dish?
Thanks for any help, and sorry for so many questions...

I changed back to Dish from DirecTv in June. I have been VERY satisfied with the Hopper system. Beats the hell out of the Genie (especially the HR34). Of course that is if you have multiple Hoppers. I would recommend two or at least a SuperJoey with your Hopper. I have 4 hoppers a Joey and a Wireless Joey and am very satisfied, much more so than with DTV.

I'm not sure if DIRT can get you signed up but you can do an online chat on Dish's website. I believe you should also be able to use a referral number.

Love my Hopper w/Sling. Just two of us. One Hopper and one Joey more than adequate.

If I had it all to do over again I would probably stay with DTV.

I've only been back with DISH for six months now and am on my second HWS already!

Have had numerous missed recordings because of the way DISH evidently interprets the tribune data. Never had the problem while with DTV and If I understand correctly, they also use tribune. For example, if I want to tape PGA golf today on channel 401 from 1-2:30pm and then turn around and tape a different new showing of PGA tour golf on NBC at 3-6pm I will have to set up a manual timer for the NBC showing because if will cancel it. Update: I just noticed that the two showings have different episode numbers now! For the last several weeks the episode numbers between The Golf Channel and CBS remained the same And I think that may have been what was causing the problem. I am going to cancel my manual recording today and see what happens.

I get stupid pop ups all the time telling me the HWS needs to change channels for a recording while I'm watching a show. If I click no it still changes channels and I have to switch it back. This happens even when other tuners are avail and not being used!

I hate that the DISH guide only goes out 8 days. DTV went out I believe 14 days and allowed the ability to search for new shows months ahead of their premier. Was helpful when new seasons were getting ready to start.

DTV supports Boolean searches which eliminates problems such as what's on the current NASCAR thread in this forum. I used it to filter my PGA recordings by eliminating Champions and Web.com showings.

While with DTV I had the HR34 and while buggy, it wasn't any worse than the HWS. Had one HR34 replaced in two years and have had one HWS replaced in six months.

What I do enjoy about DISH is the sling feature and DISH anywhere app. But, I imagine if I was still with DTV I could just purchase a sling player. I also enjoy the PTAT feature and not having to set up individual timers for recordings of prime time network shows. The auto hop feature is cool but not immediately available on a couple of networks so not a major benefit in my opinion.

Picture quality for a novice viewer like myself is pretty much a toss up.

From what I've read on this forum the DISH CSR's are not nearly as liberal as the DTV ones in handing out credits. Haven't had a chance to pursue it myself yet. Will probably try when my first year is up and see how it goes.

Good luck, either way.

Reactions: rapidturtle
You can only get a Super Joey if you have only 1 Hopper.
The Hopper can be in Standby when you use Dish Any Where, I use it when I'm on vacation or traveling.
If you have 2 Hoppers and there is a recording conflict with timers, it will offer the option on recording on the other Hopper.
The Hopper will support at least a 3 tb ehd and can support 2 ehd's at a time.

For example, if I want to tape PGA golf today on channel 401 from 1-2:30pm and then turn around and tape a different new showing of PGA tour golf on NBC at 3-6pm I will have to set up a manual timer for the NBC showing because if will cancel it. Update: I just noticed that the two showings have different episode numbers now! For the last several weeks the episode numbers between The Golf Channel and CBS remained the same And I think that may have been what was causing the problem. I am going to cancel my manual recording today and see what happens....

...I hate that the DISH guide only goes out 8 days. DTV went out I believe 14 days and allowed the ability to search for new shows months ahead of their premier. Was helpful when new seasons were getting ready to start...

All you had to do was unskip the second timer on the timer schedule. It's not the Hopper's fault if Tribune has bad episode numbers...

I'd rather have Dish's 9 day guide showing 3 hours at a time, than DirecTV's 14 day showing 1 1/2 hours at a time...

Simply go to the epg and go to the show you want to record and Select Info and then Record This or press the Select button and select either record series or once.

I have the HR34 now also, and I do love it. Never have any recording conflicts because on the other T.V.'s, the receivers are independent tuners for a total of 8. Five them being on the Genie available for recording.
It is my understanding that with a super joey setup I would have 5 tuners for 4 t.v's? I am assuming the regular Joeys take a tuner from the Hopper when in use? How long do PTAT recordings stay on the DVR before being deleted for more recordings? If timers are back to back on the same channel, does it take up 2 tuners for that time of overlap? I was reading some posts that claim if the timer is only set to a minute over, that it will only use one?

Simply go to the epg and go to the show you want to record and Select Info and then Record This or press the Select button and select either record series or once.

If it was always this simple nobody would ever complain! The fact is that the HWS is a buggy receiver. Have had several missed recordings for no apparent reason over the last few months. In most cases the daily schedule didn't even show they were suppose to record much less why they didn't. Had one just today! Have a series set to record all LPGA events on channel 401. According to my HWS it recorded this from 1-5:30am this morning! That's what it tells me when I go to the Daily Schedule and scroll up. Says it was completed: by user Family Room. Well, there is no recording on this HWS for that event, regardless of what it says. There are a couple in the deleted recordings folder but they are for Thurs and Fri events, not today's!

As far as info from tribune being the culprit on some of the passed missed recordings that's just my hypotethesis, DISH says that it's a known issue and the only way around it is with manual timers, so yes, it is DISH's fault for not getting it worked out. No excuse for what seems like all this foot dragging on known issues. If the tribune data worked fine on DTV then it should on DISH!

Sorry about the previous comments. Tried to edit them but it told me I was too late! What's new.

As far as golf goes it's just different strokes for different folks. Watching baseball puts me to sleep by the second inning. I have nothing in common with a bunch of almost 7 footers running up and down a basketball court either! I'm also not going to waste my time watching some guy doing a little dance every time he does his job in pro football. Now, I do love watching college football but I can't do that 12 months a year like I can golf. I should probably give up watching golf also. I only watch it in the hopes I will learn something! Well, I must have A.D.D. because that sure hasn't worked either!

Now, as far as some of my DISH problems go, I know how to set up a recording and I know how to unskip a recording when needed. But when you do these before ever posting here, it gets frustrating listening to the way some talk down to others! The problem with the unskip is that I've sat there right up until 3pm sometimes and the daily schedule says it's due to start in one minute and I will sit there and it doesn't start I go back into the daily schedule and there is nothing there showing it was ever scheduled to record. Like I said, frustrating.

I'm a baseball fan, and it is hard to watch on TV also. Live events, with beer and hotdogs and friends is the only way to go. As far as football... Is it football season yet. Starting to have withdrawals here. I was just giving you a hard time on the golf, that's why I put the winking face. Each person has their thing.

I understand. That's why I apologized. College football cannot get here soon enough as far as I'm concerned. Take care.

With baseball, they really need to fix the velcro on the batting gloves. For some reason when a pitch goes by, the batter has to step out of the box and adjust the straps on his batting gloves. Must be the wind from the pitch that loosens them up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)