Thinking about D*? Do it before OCT 17!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

downthedoor

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
D* plans to increase the early cancellation fee and the commitment time for customers activating after that date. Currently the price is 12.50 per month remaining in the contract. Standard receivers have a 12 months commitment, advanced receivers have 24 months.

After that date, the ECF will be 20 dollars per month, and the standard contract time will increase to 18 months.

Remember that the contract applies to all upgrades and defective receiver replacement.

This seems to be part of a recent cost cutting/revenue-generating mode at D*. They recently changed their suspend policy to make it less customer friendly. Before, you could suspend your account as much as you needed, between 7 days and 9 months. Now, you can only suspend between 30 days and 6 months, NO MORE THAN TWO TIMES A YEAR. A lot of people who have D* in a hunting cabin or other vacation home are going to be upset when they find out.

Where did you hear this? Do you have a link?

Where did you hear this? Do you have a link?

All I can say is take my word for it, or call d* and ask about changes to the suspend policy. Then speak with someone in customer installation support and ask about commitment time for the Q4 offer.

All I can say is take my word for it, or call d* and ask about changes to the suspend policy. Then speak with someone in customer installation support and ask about commitment time for the Q4 offer.

Ok, Thanks.

We could give you the dealer website address but we'd have to kill you afterward.

If you could see the advertising slick you could read the fine print. "If you fail to maintain your programming commitment, Directv may charge a prorated fee of upto $480." 24Mo. times $20=$480. "SYSTEM LEASE: Purchase of 18 consecutive months(24months for advanced receivers) of any Directv base programming package($29.99mo. or above)"

Believe it the facts are the facts.

The suspend policy thing sucks, probably to combat abuse or otherwise unintended use. The disconnect fee isn't a real big deal, affects such a small portion of the customers.

D* has read your post and will be turning it off tonight. Thank you. Please drive through. ;)

If they would without me having a fee they could. I don't use it, but I don't have the 2 bills to pay for the EOC fee. So they gave me the family pack for 19.99 for a year to help me finish the contract. Its been almost FOUR weeks now and I STILL don't have the kits to return these POS DVR's. :(

I wonder when they're going to send the new Lease Agreements to the HSP's so that we can start using them. The 50,000 or so we have laying around the shop are the old ones.
Starts on 17th should arrive on 16th that seems to be the new policy.:)

If they would without me having a fee they could. I don't use it, but I don't have the 2 bills to pay for the EOC fee. So they gave me the family pack for 19.99 for a year to help me finish the contract. Its been almost FOUR weeks now and I STILL don't have the kits to return these POS DVR's. :(

Why don't you suspend your service until you can save enought to pay off the ECF? At 20 bucks a month, you should be able to save up fast. (You can even send the money to DirecTv during the 6 months the service is suspended. And your boxes won't arrive until you service is canceled (unless you deactivated some of your boxes).

Normal when something like this happen, it is because people have been abusing the privalege of suspending there service. Not all but some, will suspend there service till there contract is satisfied then cancel there service so they don't have a cancelation fee or a monthly fee during the time there services are suspended

Why don't you suspend your service until you can save enought to pay off the ECF? At 20 bucks a month, you should be able to save up fast. (You can even send the money to DirecTv during the 6 months the service is suspended. And your boxes won't arrive until you service is canceled (unless you deactivated some of your boxes).

That's exactly what I did, deactivate all my leased receivers/dvr's and I am using an owned D10 now. I intend to go on suspension but not until they get these receivers back and accounted for. No worries, it'll happen soon enough. I was just looking for an easy way out, if they change the contract language the way I understand it from the other times they changed the contract I can cancel without the fee. I'd rather spend that 200.00 on my c-band dish. :)

Normal when something like this happen, it is because people have been abusing the privalege of suspending there service. Not all but some, will suspend there service till there contract is satisfied then cancel there service so they don't have a cancelation fee or a monthly fee during the time there services are suspended

From the way I understand it, when you suspend your service, you add that time at the end of your contract (this started a few months before they changed the rules).

That's exactly what I did, deactivate all my leased receivers/dvr's and I am using an owned D10 now. I intend to go on suspension but not until they get these receivers back and accounted for. No worries, it'll happen soon enough. I was just looking for an easy way out, if they change the contract language the way I understand it from the other times they changed the contract I can cancel without the fee. I'd rather spend that 200.00 on my c-band dish. :)

They are not changing your contract, only those who sign the new one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.