Thinking about dropping Directv for Xfinity

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
My Directv bill lost my new customer credits and now is $142 for a Genie and three mini's with HBO. Although I hate Comcast, I'm considering switching back since I already pay them for Internet.

In south Florida, Comcast is the only high speed internet option at least in my area (Ft Lauderdale) they have a Double play TV and Internet for 89. My bill would be 129+tax for the new X1 platform and three additional set top boxes. Even though I'm still three months short on my Directc commitment, it makes sense to go with Xfinity.

I lover Directv, but they just can't give me enough discounts to justify staying. Any thoughts? I remember Xfinity channel line up sucks with standard and HD and not too sure on the new X11.

Had the same thought, but with Mediacom. I swore I'd never return to cable, but paying $130 for TV alone was way too much. I'm paying roughly the same price for TiVo service in 3 rooms, an additional non-HD TV, plus internet and phone. Losing some sports, but gaining 60 dollars a month.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I am switching from Directv to Xfinity today. My installer should be coming soon. I've had Directv for about 5 years now and really like them a lot. I use Xfinity for internet only and my last bill went up $22 per month. I called up Comcast to see if they could lower the bill and they only offered me a $10 discount. They told me if I bundle TV with internet I could save a lot of money. So I called Directv to see if they could help me and all I was offered was a $10 discount. I wasn't very happy with that as I have been paying full price ever since my initial discounts ran out when I started service. So with Xfinity I will get their Preferred package which gives me all their channels and HBO and their X1 DVR. With Directv, I only had the Entertainment package and I had old equipment. Directv offered me the new Genie DVR but that required a 2 year contract which I couldn't do as I am planning on moving later this year and don't know if I will be able to get their service.

BTW, I use to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area (in Plantation and then I moved to Weston).

Reactions: Jillian
My parents recently switched from Dish to Comcast. The X1 is very buggy and slow. The HD and SD channels are still all over the place. Locals are scattered all over the dial, too. They do have auto-HD now so if you tune to a local PBS, WCFE-57, on Comcast SD channel 14 or select it in the guide, it will automatically switch to HD WCFE-57 on Comcast channel 702.

That was always the thing I hated about cable is the HD channels are in weird spots. I guess when I wanted to watch channel 6 I want to hit "6" and get it, not 803 or something goofy

I am switching from Directv to Xfinity today. My installer should be coming soon. I've had Directv for about 5 years now and really like them a lot. I use Xfinity for internet only and my last bill went up $22 per month. I called up Comcast to see if they could lower the bill and they only offered me a $10 discount. They told me if I bundle TV with internet I could save a lot of money. So I called Directv to see if they could help me and all I was offered was a $10 discount. I wasn't very happy with that as I have been paying full price ever since my initial discounts ran out when I started service. So with Xfinity I will get their Preferred package which gives me all their channels and HBO and their X1 DVR. With Directv, I only had the Entertainment package and I had old equipment. Directv offered me the new Genie DVR but that required a 2 year contract which I couldn't do as I am planning on moving later this year and don't know if I will be able to get their service.

BTW, I use to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area (in Plantation and then I moved to Weston).

Cool, let me know how it goes. I'm in the same boat as you. Also hate Comcast channel line up, that will take some getting used to. I can't seem to get a read on the X1, the reviews are all over the place.

Love Directv, hate Comcast, but the savings are kinda forcing me to switch. Directv did offer credits, but only for the three months I have remaining on my commitment. I'm waiting until the end of the month for the install to cut my early termination fee to $40

I had an install window from 9-11a today. Installer came at 940a. He was very polite and professional. He installed the X1 DVR and checked the upstream and downstream signals via the hidden diagnostic menu. All signals were exactly where they should be. Installer finished in about 40 minutes. The X1 is great. I have the Pace model and it has the new 2.0 firmware. The PQ on the HD channels look great. The audio sounds great running thru my Yamaha receiver. I really like the On Demand and the guide is so much nicer than Directv. No more stupid banners in the guide. Directv needs a toggle switch to turn on/off the guide banners.

Also, all the HD channels here in Danbury, CT are in the 1000's. A cool feature with the X1 is that there is a setting that when you select a SD channel, the X1 will automatically go to the HD version of that channel.

I called Directv and canceled service. No hard sell to try and keep me as a customer.

Comcast is actually decent in se Florida but I'd skip the x1 and go Romio

Not excited about the pending switch, but the savings is the deciding factor. Have been searching trying to find the pros of Xfinity?

Comcast is actually decent in se Florida but I'd skip the x1 and go Romio
I'm scheduled for a Mediacom install next Tuesday. I got the Roamio Plus for $99 plus $20/month with 2 year contract with Tivo. I can and will change the service to $149/year once I've got the Mediacom service going and find out if I like it. I have until the 1st of April for the 30 day return of Tivo and I can cancel Mediacom anytime since I'm not signing up for a contract deal. Did get some discounts though.
I got the Roamio instead of the XG1/MG1 from Mediacom because they have disabled some of the services that are now normal for Tivo. Like an external HD, Netflix, Amazon including Prime and Hulu Plus. I lose access to Mediacom's VOD and PPV, but I don't feel that is a loss at all.

I am all about the overall selection/offerings and the quality. So no COMCAST for me past the internet my work pays for. Any $$ saved isn't worth the lesser product to me. Been down that road and will never make the same mistake.

Reactions: JerryVolunteer
Meh its really about tit for tat here between the two providers. I wouldn't go with the X1 as its garbage but if you go with xfinity get a Tivo Roamio and do it right. The Roamio is an excellent DVR. There are a few things the D* Genie does better but for the most part the Tivo is a better box.

As for quality, the two are pretty similar in SE FL. Xfinity has a good amount of HD and its pretty good quality. Its not D* but reality is most people can't tell the difference and even if you can they aren't side by side. I was happy with the quality of Xfinity when I had it.

As for the companies. I prefer Directv but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Xfinity if the opportunity comes up. I already have an awesome wife, I don't have to be married to my video provider.

If you go the Tivo route check out Ebay for some discount codes. You can buy a Roamio with lifetime and if you decide to come back to D* you can likely sell it and still make a profit. I did.

Some of the Xfinity bundle deals are impossible to beat. Don't hesitate to grab one and try it out.

Love Directv, hate Comcast, but the savings are kinda forcing me to switch. Directv did offer credits, but only for the three months I have remaining on my commitment. I'm waiting until the end of the month for the install to cut my early termination fee to $40
johnml,
Once your credits with D* drop, they will have more to offer, while your already getting credits, they are limited to what they can give you.
This goes for everyone.
I called last night and was told to wait till the end of this month, mine drop off on the 31st and to call back in ...

I am all about the overall selection/offerings and the quality. So no COMCAST for me past the internet my work pays for. Any $$ saved isn't worth the lesser product to me. Been down that road and will never make the same mistake.
This is the way I look at it as well.
Someone was dropping D* for $20, which is a lot of money, but in the over all scheme of things that others have mentioned, channels all over, some HD some not ... If I were in that position I would probably find another way to save $20 per month.

Btw, it's good to see you Charper ;)

Be careful switching to Xfinity. The equipment fees are pretty high. I've talked to Comcast already and yes in the beginning you'll save some money but after the promotion ends, you end up paying a higher bill than Directv.

My savings would be closer to $40 a month. I really do hate everything about Comcast, but have to use them for Internet. Both Uverse and Bellsouth speeds are ridiculous. I dropped Directv a couple years ago and bundled with Comcast, but once the promotions were up, my bill sky rocketed and back to Directv I went. I wish I had better options, but with the Internet, I'm kinda forced. The one thing I remember besides the horrible customer service was the even worse Chanel lineup. I'm unsure of the X1 hype.

Be careful switching to Xfinity. The equipment fees are pretty high. I've talked to Comcast already and yes in the beginning you'll save some money but after the promotion ends, you end up paying a higher bill than Directv.

From what I understand my bill is 89 for the cable and Internet 7 for the DVR and 10 each (X3) for the bedroom TV's for like 127 + tax. My Directv bill now is $142.73 and that's without Internet. They did offer discounts that will drop it to $111 only for the three months I have in my commitment. As you can see, my hand is pretty much forced to switch.

When the promotions end, I'll come back to Directv or Dish - whoever has the best deals.

From what I understand my bill is 89 for the cable and Internet 7 for the DVR and 10 each (X3) for the bedroom TV's for like 127 + tax. My Directv bill now is $142.73 and that's without Internet. They did offer discounts that will drop it to $111 only for the three months I have in my commitment. As you can see, my hand is pretty much forced to switch.

When the promotions end, I'll come back to Directv or Dish - whoever has the best deals.

DVR fee is $7? They quoted me something like $18 plus 2 receivers at $10 each. Also, are you renting their modem? It's $10 now to rent their modem or router.

When you were talking to D*, were you talking with CSR's or the Retention dept, make SURE you had/have the Retention dept.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)