Thinking about dropping Directv for Xfinity

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm pretty sure it was retention because I told them I wanted to cancel. I don't think they could give me enough credits to come close.

DVR fee is $7? They quoted me something like $18 plus 2 receivers at $10 each. Also, are you renting their modem? It's $10 now to rent their modem or router.

DVR fee is $7? They quoted me something like $18 plus 2 receivers at $10 each. Also, are you renting their modem? It's $10 now to rent their modem or router.

It's 7.99 for the first year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 195
My Mom is in Ft Lauderdale and has the triple play pack from Comcast. It's actually pretty good, the picture quality is decent, and it's under $140/month for all three. That's including a $25/month discount because she pays for bulk cable in her common fees, so it would be $165/month. Still not bad considering.

I found myself reviewing our media bills - direct, comcast (internet and some tv), netflix, and I guess part of Amazon's prime -
We've been with direct since the initial test in LA and MS, adopted the tivo the minute we could get one, have a genie AND a tivo HD currently..
and are spending too much based on what we actually view. And worse, direct seems to be the one that's more expensive in terms of channels required to subscribe to - to get the ones we want.
It is hard for me to imagine a world without direct, but $ talks, and the fear of AT&T added in.. ..... I'm for the first time really uncertain about continuing with direct.

I found myself reviewing our media bills - direct, comcast (internet and some tv), netflix, and I guess part of Amazon's prime -
We've been with direct since the initial test in LA and MS, adopted the tivo the minute we could get one, have a genie AND a tivo HD currently..
and are spending too much based on what we actually view. And worse, direct seems to be the one that's more expensive in terms of channels required to subscribe to - to get the ones we want.
It is hard for me to imagine a world without direct, but $ talks, and the fear of AT&T added in.. ..... I'm for the first time really uncertain about continuing with direct.
Fear of att to do what ?

Do you get ALL the channels you want/need without Directv ?

Fear of att to do what ?

Do you get ALL the channels you want/need without Directv ?
re: AT&T proposed purchase of Directv - my daughter has ATT cell and constantly compains about their customer service, so i worry about what will happen to Direct's CS if ATT buys. As to channels, yes, mostly, ;-\
I guess my point is I'm suffering from "mission creep", a few channels became many, etc. ,....

Let's hope - and while we are hoping let's hope no cut in personnel, etc., and all the "stuff" that has made direct what it is. Large companies increase profits by centralizing personnel across their various branches when they can - done right its fine, done poorly its a consumer's nightmare.
While I think its prices have gotten a little out there, I've always been treated decently by direct.

People expecting business as usual after the merger are in for a surprise. There will be a period where that is the case but d*has been incredibly aggressive in obtaining and retaining customers and those costs are going to add up. The first thing ADD executives will do is synergize billing and other departments and then start looking at high cost items like promos and discounts for existing sub's to raise the bottom line.

I doubt most of the fanbois will even be able to recognize the company in five years.

People expecting business as usual after the merger are in for a surprise. There will be a period where that is the case but d*has been incredibly aggressive in obtaining and retaining customers and those costs are going to add up. The first thing ADD executives will do is synergize billing and other departments and then start looking at high cost items like promos and discounts for existing sub's to raise the bottom line.

I doubt most of the fanbois will even be able to recognize the company in five years.
ATT may not have D* in 5 years .... could be bought by someone else, say Comcrap :eeek

$10 here - $30 there; I am not about hoping from provided to provider. Hell, the hassle and non-stability of jumping back and forth is worth any piddly amount supposedly saved. I have used their cost estimate tools and spoken with others and at the end of the day its always less services for same or more money.

Reactions: Jimbo
This is TV, how can you have a TRAUMATIC experience ?

It's a lot more common than you may think. A person can suffer a traumatic experience watching ABC's The View.

At over $125/mth with HBO as the only premium & just 2 TVs I'm seriously thinking of dropping D* for ota & streaming options. I already have Netflix & Amazon Prime with a Mohu amplified antenna already installed but I'm a huge sports fan so it's been hard for me to cut the cord. But with the thought of saving almost $80 per mth by going to Sling TV with Hbogo, I could satisfy with what I can get from ESPN there & just find streaming options for the other sports I want or just do without. I'm hoping with all the competitive streaming options coming online now that D* would be forced to reduce rates by later this year, but I doubt that will happen in that time frame.

At over $125/mth with HBO as the only premium & just 2 TVs I'm seriously thinking of dropping D* for ota & streaming options. I already have Netflix & Amazon Prime with a Mohu amplified antenna already installed but I'm a huge sports fan so it's been hard for me to cut the cord. But with the thought of saving almost $80 per mth by going to Sling TV with Hbogo, I could satisfy with what I can get from ESPN there & just find streaming options for the other sports I want or just do without. I'm hoping with all the competitive streaming options coming online now that D* would be forced to reduce rates by later this year, but I doubt that will happen in that time frame.

$125 is outrageous. These companies make a hefty profit after they pay their employees and TV stations. Both the CEO's make millions a year. The worst part of it all is they think $125 is giving you a great deal.

I have AT&T cell service, and had to call them for some troubleshooting, and a billing issue once. I must say, it was one of the easier companies that I have dealt with over the phone.

Reactions: Jimbo
I can see saving when one has a traumatic experience, but how does one have them every 6, 12, 24 mos and jump from service to service.

$10 here - $30 there; I am not about hoping from provided to provider. Hell, the hassle and non-stability of jumping back and forth is worth any piddly amount supposedly saved. I have used their cost estimate tools and spoken with others and at the end of the day its always less services for same or more money.

You mean the $120/yr to $360/yr in savings? Damned straight I'll take that money!

The hassle? You mean unplug, ship back, plug in new one, turn on and watch TV? Not much hassle at all. Let's see what that labor costs you. Say $30/month for a year when you switch which is generally going to be the case. That's $360. Swap out time is maybe an hour if a tech is a real nimrod at my house. If I was paying him $40/hour, I still have saved $320 for that swap. At my house D* or E* could just send me the Genie/hopper and I could hook them up in about 5 minutes. For those that have more than one unit there could be upfront costs involved depending on what configuration you want.

And whether or not is is more or less services isn't the question or answer at all. It is do I get the channels I will watch and save money by switching? For me D*, E* and cable have all the channels I actually watch, so the answer is yes.

Try these numbers :
1. 1st year deals save at least $360/year, more if premiums are involved because of the 3 months you get free for them. So assuming a $45+ cost for all premiums, that's $135+$360=$495 in the first year.

Now if you cancel and pay the ETF at the end of the 1st year of $240, then even if you switch every year you have a net savings of $255.

EDIT: Let me add to that a little. If you go to E* get a referral and get $50, if you go to D*, get a referral and get $100 @$10/month. And those referrals aren't hard to get at all!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts