Thinking about getting a DVR for my Winegard antenna. Which one should I get?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
yes they have weak OTA tuners. The Series 3 or Roamio's have good OTA tuners
So many people have said that, that I'm sure it's true. But I haven't had any problems tuning in OTA or cable card channels with my Premiere. My Premiere has far less problems than the Cisco 4642HDC cable box I get from my cable provider.

From your zip code, it looks like you can get maybe 5-7 channels?
And you're worried about how many tuners?
i live in the Los Angeles suburbs, and can honestly scan 90-100 OTA channels.
I have a dual tuner, and it serves me well. ;)
My recorder consists of a multi-media laptop I got several years ago, with Windows Vista HOME on it.
It has a built-in free application that only needs a tuner and an IR remote to become a PVR.
My dual input tuner is HD Home Run from Silicon Dust, located in another room and plugged into my house LAN via Ethernet (under $100).
The IR remote was a common Windows Media device from Amazon for around $15.
I only have the one setup in my bedroom, but you -could- have duplicates in other rooms.
I have a cheaper solution.
Sorry. Out of time.
If you have any interest, I'll continue later.
If not, that's fine.

Actually from here in Rochester I can get up to 62 depending on the conditions. My antenna picks up Rochester, MN, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, and La Crosse, WI. I want more than two tuners for when I was with Dish I had too many scheduling conflicts with the Hopper and that had three; and I like to change channels while recording shows, and being able to record only one while flipping will be too frustrating.

Actually from here in Rochester I can get up to 62 depending on the conditions. My antenna picks up Rochester, MN, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, and La Crosse, WI. I want more than two tuners for when I was with Dish I had too many scheduling conflicts with the Hopper and that had three; and I like to change channels while recording shows, and being able to record only one while flipping will be too frustrating.
One of the members here set up his system with two HD Home Run boxes (4 tuners).
( at about $100 per two added tuners )
I suppose you could allocate the tuners to different antennas, if necessary.
The other thing I was going to mention, is how I play back the shows.
If you want to channel surf, you will want to use the remote at the computer.
But for viewing in other rooms, I just use an under $100 media player box on the LAN.
Didn't want the computer in the living room, so the 42" LCD is fed by a Western Digital HD Live Plus (which also can get Netflix, YouTube, etc.)
So, adding more rooms, would be quite inexpensive.
Got to look at the total system to appreciate the added capabilities and savings over multiple independent PVR boxes.
Edit: just realized you had your solution.
Congratulations! :)
So, what was the cost, number of tuners, and rooms serviced?

Yes, but like with most of these homebrew systems the the key is in name based recording and season passes. I got nothing against experimenting and building stuff up, but not sure I can give up the long term guide and NBR.

I wouldn't give it up either

Sorry, I forgot to mention that using the Windows software, you have an intelligent 2-week guide.
(Updated automatically over Internet connection)
Recording is selected with the remote by name, allowing multiple choices (single show | weekly | new or all | how long to keep | etc.).
Having looked at other home brew solutions in the past, most were too esoteric, convoluted, expensive, etc.
Windows just works, if you have the right version. :up

I looked around and ended up getting the TIVO Roamio. I am dumping Dish at the end of the year and just going OTA and supplementing with Netflix/Hulu. Even paying for Tivo, Netflix, and Hulu, I will still be saving quiet a bit of money every month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)