Thinking about switching to Direct.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bsakoff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
VA.
I have Dish now but they do not have local HD channels in the Charlottesville VA. area so I "moved" to Charlotte NC. which uses the same spot beam as Charlottesville and was able to pick up there HD locals. My problem with Dish is their signal strength is terrible here (30-50) at best. I am thinking about switching to Direct but they do not offer locals here and was wondering if I did switch and "moved" does Direct use spot beams like Dish? and is it as easy to "move" as it is with Dish? If so I am switching. I have always liked Direct better.

Directv uses spot beams just like Dish. There are many people that have moved with Directv with no issues. You just have to make sure you move within the spot beam coverage.

Only my (sometimes not so humble) opinion..... Most often poor signal strength is a sign of a misaligned satellite dish, which sadly is all too common with both Dish Network & DirecTV installers. These guys are simply in too big of a hurry to get to the next job and make their daily quota.

KEY to proper alignment (and good signal strength) is a mast pipe which is perfectly dead-level plumb and bedrock rigid. Achieve those two fundamental milestones and proper alignment of a multi-sat dish is relatively simple. Fail to achieve those two milestones and accurate alignment is impossible.

Simple 10th grade geometry.

Before using the map links above use this link to find out what satellite/transponder the locals are on for the market you want to get. Then checking the maps - or better yet, the actual signal on a directv setup in your area, and you'll know for sure.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=173192

The beams are pretty tight, for example, in Lansing MI the Chicago beam is down below 50 signal strength.

Only my (sometimes not so humble) opinion..... Most often poor signal strength is a sign of a misaligned satellite dish, which sadly is all too common with both Dish Network & DirecTV installers. These guys are simply in too big of a hurry to get to the next job and make their daily quota.

KEY to proper alignment (and good signal strength) is a mast pipe which is perfectly dead-level plumb and bedrock rigid. Achieve those two fundamental milestones and proper alignment of a multi-sat dish is relatively simple. Fail to achieve those two milestones and accurate alignment is impossible.

Simple 10th grade geometry.

I have had Dish out to my house twice and they still can not get a signal above 50. My neighbor has Direct with DC locals and he has a signal over 90. He moved from DC installed his dish here himself and never changed his locals. My only fear is I have them install it and then have a hard time "moving". I have moved 3 times in a day with Dish and they never questioned it.

I don't think there's any trick to "moving" with DTV as opposed to Dish; I just think some people have a hard time explaining the simple scenario & the next thing you know the CSR is quoting you rules of using the service at two locations at the same time. Hi DTV, my employer has temporarily sent me to XYZ location which is already setup for DTV so could you please change my service location. I receive & pay all my bills at my current location so please leave the billing address alone......thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)