Thinking About Upgrading Subwoofer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I currently own the Polk PSW-10. While it has been sufficiently powering my HT for a year and a half, I have been looking into upgrading this sub.

One that has caught my eye is the BIC Acoustech H-100. It features a 12" woofer, frequency response of 24Hz- 200Hz, Built-in Amplifier Power of 150 Watt RMS and 500-Watt Dynamic Peak.

According to my research, it outperforms just about every sub in it's price range and actually holds it's own to the entry level subs from HSU and SVS!

The new BIC H-100/ PA-10 model can be had through an authorized dealer on eBay for $229. I got a $50 gift card for eBay, so this deal seems like a no brainer.

Anyone else own this sub or have any thoughts?

I have been wanting to upgrade my sub as well. I have been considering the PSW125B from Polk. Have you looked at this sub? How does it compare to the Acoustech sub you have been looking at? Anyone else have any experience with the PSW125 from Polk?

I have been wanting to upgrade my sub as well. I have been considering the PSW125B from Polk. Have you looked at this sub? How does it compare to the Acoustech sub you have been looking at? Anyone else have any experience with the PSW125 from Polk?

I have the 10" version of what your looking at. While I love my Polk satellite speakers, I think the consistent viewpoint on Polk is that they don't make a great subwoofer. This is the reason why I'm looking elsewhere other than Polk for a future Sub. The Acoustech sub (H-100) has been getting stellar reviews so far.

Well, a new sub has entered the possibility list.....

The HSU STF-1 for $254

HSU STF-1 Subwoofer

I've been madly researching and I keep coming back to HSU and SVS subs. Both seem to be in a class of their own in the Subwoofer department.

stf-1-bottom-big.jpg

stf-1-black-big.jpg

Well, the Klipsch Sub-12 I just hooked up sent my PSW-10 to the little girls room.
Did you get a "deal" on your sub-12? I've been watching for a sale, but nothing in the last few months. I saw references to them on sale for around $300 last August. If you can point me in the right direction... Thanks!

Did you get a "deal" on your sub-12? I've been watching for a sale, but nothing in the last few months. I saw references to them on sale for around $300 last August. If you can point me in the right direction... Thanks!

I asked for bbuy cards for Christmas that were intended for a rcvr. When my wife surprised me with cash, I couldnt pass up the Denon 1909 deal. I then racked up on g cards and cash so I paid bbuy price for the sub. Its a tad high, but i was limited on options. I will say, that the damn thing is loud and the bass it pretty low.

It handled everything cloverfield threw at it, and the scene in iron man where he walks out of the cave in the first suit gave my PSW10 hell and it sounded horrible. The Sub12 hit it just fine.

The sub makes the system IMHO
I have an older (2001) but very good Velodyne HGS-18
Yeah it cost some $$$, but you may be able to find some cheaper as they age
This thing brings movies to life, and actually shakes the house:)

The sub makes the system IMHO
I have an older (2001) but very good Velodyne HGS-18
Yeah it cost some $$$, but you may be able to find some cheaper as they age
This thing brings movies to life, and actually shakes the house:)

I use a Velodyne is my media room and my roommate has a REL. Both phenomenal if you're willing to drop some bucks.

Want to spend some money AND get the feeling of accomplishment? Sub kits! :D
Parts Express:Dayton T1203K 12" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit

Ok, I'm a little cautious about the BIC sub still. I've read bad things about their customer service and buying from an eBay dealer doesn't exactly make me very confident about this little know subwoofer.

I've now shifted the leading candidate to the HSU STF-1.

My room is 10.5' W x 18' L x 7.5' H, or 1,417 cubic feet. The STF-1 is spot on for HSU's recomendation Room Size.

I guess my question is, am I crazy in thinking about replacing my Polk PSW10 (10" driver) with an 8" driver? Will the HSU be much more efficient to warrant the upgrade?

BTW, I am coupling this sub with my Denon AVR-1909 and Polk RM6750 satellite speakers.

I run through the same pain last year and bought HSU VTF-3 MK 2 Subwoofer for 13' X 24' X 7'6' room. It happened to be the best part of my system. Then, after few month, I paralleled this one with old 100w JBL sub to equalize upper buss in the room. Now the sound started really present in the room like in the music hall.

Finally! I made up my mind and pulled the trigger!

Ok guys, I did it! I bought a new sub for the home theater. I've been researching for quite a while and narrowed it down to the HSU and SVS PB10. The winner? The HSU-STF-2.

Here's the specs:

10" Woofer
200 watt Bash digital amp
+/- 25 Hz Bass extension

Final cost of the STF-2 after shipping was $382. The PB10 would've been $477.

One of the final selling points that pushed me towards the STF-2 and saved me narly $100 was a head-to-head comparison between the two subs I found on a forum. See here for the review between the HSU STF-2 and the SVS PB10-NSD.

Apparently the STF-2 (according to this reveiwer) even beat out the SVS sub in a few aspects. Needless to say, I'm quite anxious to get this sub and replace my current Polk PSW10. It's supposed to ship via FexEx ground.

I'll keep everyone updated once I get it setup and will be sure to share my reviews...

After you're done playing with your new sub, you may want to try using both. I run two in my room, and it goes a long way to smoothing out bass response. Give it a try, it will take a lot of experimentation with placement, but it will be worth it.

After you're done playing with your new sub, you may want to try using both. I run two in my room, and it goes a long way to smoothing out bass response. Give it a try, it will take a lot of experimentation with placement, but it will be worth it.

I was actually hoping to sell the old one on eBay to put towards the purchase of the new one. (Well, at least that's what I told the wifey. ;))

Alright fellas, as I'm eagerly awaiting my new sub, anyone have any suggestions for movies with some serious bass to really test out this puppy?

War of the Worlds, King Kong, etc.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)