Thinking of a plug and play

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
I have been with Sirius (and loving it) since early 2003. I have a kenwood head unit that controls the tuner under the seat. When I got mine, it came with the seperate dashboard controller in case you were not installing into a Sirius ready head unit. But I obviously don't use it.
Anyways on trips in the wifeys car, which we use for longer hauls, I go nuts w/o it. So what I do is toss my tuner, and a few adapters for power and RCA to cassete tape adapter all in a cardboard box and hook it up that way. Controlling it with the "spare" dash controller, which I just lay on the center tray. Sure aint pretty but it lets me take it along.
However I have been contemplating a plug-n-play. I understand that the sound degration going from the direct connection I have now to an FM modulator would be very disapointing. So I would want on with a line out so I can hook it up more directly (there is an input adapter I can get for indash unit) while in my car. In hers then I would just use the wireless FM modulator and make things alot easier.
I want to know are the antennas that I have now with the square connections incompatible with the newer units? And how are these for performance and sound quality? Will I be disapointed? I would also like to more easily bring it in the house, especially for Packer games. Although I do still do it with my "box" setup, it loses the presets everytime and is annoying to hook up. I sort of find that small visor unit interesting, though it may be too small.

I would recomend you look into the JVC SR-3000 plug n play receiver and pick up the home and car kits. The new style ant. are different than what you have I am not sure if there is an adapter or not. This unit has line outputs and that is what I use it for both kits. I do not think that you will be disapointed in the sound quality using that connection. I also use the built in fm transmitter (you can use the line out and fm transmiiter at the same time) to pick up the signal in my garage and it works great via an old fm radio I have out there, since its only about 25' from the unit. The unit is very easy to take from car to car or into the house. It has a reddish display if that matters to you. There is tons of info @ www.siriusbackstage.com. good luck

Hey thanks to you both. Sorry for being a smartass earlier. Thanks alot for that link to sirius backstage, that is very interesting. I love Sirius, and would NEVER think of switching to XM, as I have discovered I do not like thier offerings near as much. And of course the NFL. But if they do not fix this crappy sound that suddenly is being played on the non music channels, I will contemplate dropping it. I cannot STAND this "swirly, tinny" sound to the sports and talk channels. It just came back last week and it has yet to go away. It is awful. Does anyone know what is up?
Back to the subject though. Is that JVC more feature packed than say a replay or sportster? The S50 is not an option, due to price.

I do not think the JVC has the replay features of the Starmate Replay and the Sportster R. If that 44 minute buffer is not important, I'd go with the cheapest. If it is, consider the Sportster4 as it has the latest features. One being the 44 minute buffer has a menu that shows the songs played by title and lets you pick and choose a song to be played.

More on the Sportster 4.

Yes the JVC does have the replay feature the 2000 model did not the 3000 does. I got mine from jr.com a while back. I beleive crutchfield carries it too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)