thinking of coming back to directv after 3 year hiatus

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New Jersey
My Verizon Fios agreement will be coming up in about 60 days. I was thinking of switching to Directv. I haven't had them for about 3 years. Part of the reason to coming back is that AT&T will give you an unlimited data plan on your wireless if you sign up with Directv.
One of the things that also intrigues me is that it appears that you can use wireless Genie boxes so you can put a TV where there isn't any coax or ethernet. However, how good is the quality? Can you get HD content?

Unlimited data= 22gb. After that they can and probably will slow you down. No hotspot or tethering either.

I can't speak about the wireless Genies because I just have the older HR22 boxes.

Hmm. So since the newest iOS permits personal hotspot, AT&T could take that into account and still use that against you?

Yes, it's true. AT&T has *always* restricted "unlimited" data to *disallow* Personal Hotspot connectivity on, say, one's iPhone. While I'm an AT&T shareholder and subscribe to their wireless services, I've taken to social media when the "unlimited" data plan originally came out and spoke out against AT&T's greed (let's just call it what it is) regarding data usage.

This is why we won't convert, because our kids use our Personal Hotspots on an ad hoc basis when we're traveling, and that's not something I want to give up.

Regarding wireless Genie mini devices -- don't hesitate, go for it. When thinking through your Genie topology (e.g.: how you ultimately want your receiver setup, because there are things to consider when implementing the system in your house), wireless minis are absolutely fantastic and work like a charm, even multiple rooms away from the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) antenna that the Genie network uses to communicate with these smaller devices. We've had ours for almost two years now and have never had issues with them.

The downside to the minis is if the Genie system goes down, so do they. That's why it's advisable to have at least one other HD-DVR (non-Genie) on your DirecTV coax network as a "backup" to the main system.

I hope this helps!

Unlimited data= 22gb. After that they can and probably will slow you down. No hotspot or tethering either.

I can't speak about the wireless Genies because I just have the older HR22 boxes.
22 GB isn't squat for in home services.
Our home averages around 275GB a month.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Yes, it's true. AT&T has *always* restricted "unlimited" data to *disallow* Personal Hotspot connectivity on, say, one's iPhone. While I'm an AT&T shareholder and subscribe to their wireless services, I've taken to social media when the "unlimited" data plan originally came out and spoke out against AT&T's greed (let's just call it what it is) regarding data usage.

This is why we won't convert, because our kids use our Personal Hotspots on an ad hoc basis when we're traveling, and that's not something I want to give up.

Regarding wireless Genie mini devices -- don't hesitate, go for it. When thinking through your Genie topology (e.g.: how you ultimately want your receiver setup, because there are things to consider when implementing the system in your house), wireless minis are absolutely fantastic and work like a charm, even multiple rooms away from the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) antenna that the Genie network uses to communicate with these smaller devices. We've had ours for almost two years now and have never had issues with them.

The downside to the minis is if the Genie system goes down, so do they. That's why it's advisable to have at least one other HD-DVR (non-Genie) on your DirecTV coax network as a "backup" to the main system.

I hope this helps!
I agree with everything you said here ....
I also expect other provider to do the same thing if they are not already doing it.

That package is not meant to be used for in home internet. It is cellular data only. You still need cable/fiber for internet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That package is not meant to be used for in home internet. It is cellular data only. You still need cable/fiber for internet

Apparently.
But it's equal to Satellite Internet offerings. Which are sad.
So what's Directvs and Att solution for Rural customers?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I personally don't feel directv has a plan for Internet outside of uverse plants. I'm happy with my xfinity internet, don't have fiber available in my area. I would bundle directv and fios Internet if I had the option.

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of HD? Will I notice any difference coming from Fios? How does the Directv app for iOS work as well? Can you stream recorded content when out of your home on LTE or wifi?

Apparently.
But it's equal to Satellite Internet offerings. Which are sad.
So what's Directvs and Att solution for Rural customers?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

there is no plan by any internet provider for rural customers

Can anyone also comment on what you do for Internet? Does Directv have any offer with Verizon Fios for Internet and home phone? Seems like standalone Internet can be pricey once you remove TV/video. What do most people do in such a situation?

I agree with everything you said here ....
I also expect other provider to do the same thing if they are not already doing it.
In reality, they don't.

In fact, T-Mobile has their own plan that exempts certain music and video streams from caps.

I believe this is what's moving the needle with AT&T for when, later this year, they unveil their OTT bundles for streaming services.

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of HD? Will I notice any difference coming from Fios? How does the Directv app for iOS work as well? Can you stream recorded content when out of your home on LTE or wifi?
In answer to your questions (based on what I know):

- PQ of HD on DirecTV is among the best in the business, based on the compression algorithms that DirecTV uses versus others. In other words, it's almost as good as uncompressed OTA HD (in my opinion);
- iOS DirecTV app is decent; I've been able to crash it a few times;
- You cannot stream recorded content outside of home unless you have the Nomad device (which I hear will be integrated in the next Genie-family receiver). It's a Digital Rights Management (DRM) thing.

Can anyone also comment on what you do for Internet? Does Directv have any offer with Verizon Fios for Internet and home phone? Seems like standalone Internet can be pricey once you remove TV/video. What do most people do in such a situation?
We've had Comcast Xfinity Internet for a few years now. Started at 25MB, they freely upped us to 50, and now we're at 75 (and it's tested at about 90). We maintain a deal with them by having basic video included (but I've never taken the set-top box out of its wrapper in over two years).

AT&T is attempting to get as many folks wanting video over onto DirecTV; their recent earnings call confirmed this. Then, at the end of the year, they're apparently going to do something with their alleged three-tier streaming service. Also note that other services are planning for streaming video content going into 2017; Youtube was the most recent to announce this.

So, I'd say that most folks use cable if they want >6Mpbs to their premises, unless they happened to be serviced by U-verse (DSL by any other name) or FiOS.

So I called directv last night to set up service. They are supposed to be here this afternoon. I will post back on how it goes. One thing, however. On directvs website, they make it seem of you sign up for directv and have Att wireless you can get a 24 month lock-in for pricing. The woman insisted you can't. You have to have U-verse service. Also, concerning the att unlimited data plan. I know they say you can't use personal hot spot with that. Does att disable it on your account? On my iPhone if I were to go to settings and click on personal hotspot would I be able to turn it on?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)