thinking of coming back to directv after 3 year hiatus

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So I called directv last night to set up service. They are supposed to be here this afternoon. I will post back on how it goes. One thing, however. On directvs website, they make it seem of you sign up for directv and have Att wireless you can get a 24 month lock-in for pricing. The woman insisted you can't. You have to have U-verse service. Also, concerning the att unlimited data plan. I know they say you can't use personal hot spot with that. Does att disable it on your account? On my iPhone if I were to go to settings and click on personal hotspot would I be able to turn it on?
I'm thinking it is att Internet or home phone that they are linking to, to get the price lock.

You have to have U-verse service. Also, concerning the att unlimited data plan. I know they say you can't use personal hot spot with that. Does att disable it on your account? On my iPhone if I were to go to settings and click on personal hotspot would I be able to turn it on?

its really not unlimited. they throttle after 22gb

I certainly agree that it is for cell service type of data. However, if you were to use a Wifi iPad occasionally using the hotspot feature on an iPhone, will AT&T terminate your account or throttle you just for that? I can see if someone was attempting to use "unlimited data" for their home use and using 300 gigs a month.

Does att disable it on your account? On my iPhone if I were to go to settings and click on personal hotspot would I be able to turn it on?
No, you can't enable it on iPhone's on AT&T unless it's been jail broken and you use a third party app such as MyWi or TetherMe. It's actually disabled in software and if you attempt it gives you a message to call AT&T and switch to a plan that allows hotspot/tethering.

I wonder how much or if they will even throttle after the 22gb unless you're 100gb+ user. Reckon we'll find out...wife has hit 13gb mark and we still have 23 days left in current billing cycle. LOL!

Corporations love the word 'may'......gives them an out to do whatever/whenever or nothing at all!

I wonder how much or if they will even throttle after the 22gb unless you're 100gb+ user. Reckon we'll find out...wife has hit 13gb mark and we still have 23 days left in current billing cycle. LOL!

Corporations love the word 'may'......gives them an out to do whatever/whenever or nothing at all!
Your wife watches her TV on the phone instead of the TV ?
Do you not have WiFi in the house ?

LOL....She watches YouTube at work......rather listens.......eats up a ton of data cuz i'm sure her phone is set to HD. I'm just curious if ATT will do anything unless we get crazy with it....like in the 100gb+ range...although, I'm unsure why you'd market an 'unlimited data' plan if you leave the option out there to impose limits. Funny marketing........LOL :)

We have WiFi at the house which all my devices utilize when at home...we don't use any cellular data at the house.

Ok. The install went off pretty good yesterday. Since I had Directv about 3 years ago, they didn't have to put up a new dish so it was easier for the installers. A couple of things. I am pretty sure when I called that I requested the wireless genie mini. When the installer shows up he says that the install was for the wired ones. I looked at my confirmation email and it says Genie DVR and Genie Mini. Maybe the sales person misunderstood me. In the end, I am fine with the wired for now because I have Coax but was thinking ahead because I may want to add a 3rd or 4th TV and they don't have Coax. The installer said that it is easy to do after the fact. Is that true? Will I have a hard time switching out to Genie Mini?
Second, I have a 4K TV and I know that Directv has a few 4K channels. I didn't have that as part of my order/install. However, how do I know if I am capable of getting 4K channels, if I wanted?
Third, I remember when I had Directv previously, the guide had some lighter colors and was grey, for the most part. The Genie is all dark. Not to mention a few of the settings icons look like they are from the 1980s. Does Directv plan on changing this up? Coming from Verizon Fios and using a Tivo, the colors were brighter and they had logos in the guide.
Also, I was using the personal hotspot on my phone just fine testing it out yesterday. I see no real prohibition on using it.

Ok. The install went off pretty good yesterday. Since I had Directv about 3 years ago, they didn't have to put up a new dish so it was easier for the installers. A couple of things. I am pretty sure when I called that I requested the wireless genie mini. When the installer shows up he says that the install was for the wired ones. I looked at my confirmation email and it says Genie DVR and Genie Mini. Maybe the sales person misunderstood me. In the end, I am fine with the wired for now because I have Coax but was thinking ahead because I may want to add a 3rd or 4th TV and they don't have Coax. The installer said that it is easy to do after the fact. Is that true? Will I have a hard time switching out to Genie Mini?
Second, I have a 4K TV and I know that Directv has a few 4K channels. I didn't have that as part of my order/install. However, how do I know if I am capable of getting 4K channels, if I wanted?
Third, I remember when I had Directv previously, the guide had some lighter colors and was grey, for the most part. The Genie is all dark. Not to mention a few of the settings icons look like they are from the 1980s. Does Directv plan on changing this up? Coming from Verizon Fios and using a Tivo, the colors were brighter and they had logos in the guide.
Also, I was using the personal hotspot on my phone just fine testing it out yesterday. I see no real prohibition on using it.

if you didnt request 4k, call back NOW
you need an hr54, a reverse band lnb, and a c61k
this is not being installed unless you request 4k service

Rumor and per high Archy. (yesterday ) but still no paper shown for confirmation or validity.
**Unlimited data is ending**
The #19 was mentioned as a date.( what month??)
We shall see.

Rumor and per high Archy. (yesterday ) but still no paper shown for confirmation or validity.
We shall see.

unlimited for which carrier? more details please

We shall see.
If this is for AT&T, not surprising. It's only been T-Mobile that has gotten the "unlimited" aspect working.

And if it is AT&T, and this is true, they'll likely rebrand and put unlimited on hold until second half of the year in prep for DirecTV streaming services.

However, the 19th of May would seem strange; that's a Thursday. Often times AT&T makes things happen on a Sunday, I believe. June 19th would fit the bill, but likely other months as well.

All speculation!

All speculation!

Correct.
And
Just the current combo cell / tv deal
( way/ criteria to rec unlimited data ) was mentioned also to clarify.

edit:
BTW anyone on uverse internet should've got or is route, the notification of enforcement of home data usage also.
=30$ surcharge IF you don't have TV option.
In paper form in mail box near you!

"Cha cha changes."

Correct.
And
Just the current combo cell / tv deal
( way/ criteria to rec unlimited data ) was mentioned also to clarify.

edit:
BTW anyone on uverse internet should've got or is route, the notification of enforcement of home data usage also.
=30$ surcharge IF you don't have TV option.
In paper form in mail box near you!

"Cha cha changes."
Yes, I got it as well.

We were discussing earlier about what services you needed to get the ATT Unlimited deal ....
After checking .... it is in combination with D* anyone having either UVERSE internet (home or work I would imagine) or ATT Cell service.
I thought it might have been one or the other earlier.

Reactions: Troch77
We were discussing earlier about what services you needed to get the ATT Unlimited deal ....
After checking .... it is in combination with D* anyone having either UVERSE internet (home or work I would imagine) or ATT Cell service.
I thought it might have been one or the other earlier.
It is for anyone with AT&T wireless, OR U-verse Internet.

I just got the offer via Email.
It's a 2 year price lock and 4 rooms included.
BUT it didn't say anything about unlimited Data.
So I have a feeling that just may be a thing of the past.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
We shall see.
AT&T is going to stop unlimited data plan if you have Directv???

It is for anyone with AT&T wireless, OR U-verse Internet.

I just got the offer via Email.
It's a 2 year price lock and 4 rooms included.
BUT it didn't say anything about unlimited Data.
So I have a feeling that just may be a thing of the past.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Actually, its the requirements for the 2 year price lock, not unlimited data.

*facepalm* bad installer... bad.

physically doing it, no its not hard. getting D* to do it for free? gooooood luck. if you plan to wait a while before adding more TV's, as in ~2 years, you're probably fine. but if you wanted to do it in say, 5 months, you're going to get hit the full price of the wireless mini ($100 per) and the wireless set up fee ($100 for the wireless video bridge). so if you add two minis, thats $300. if this is something you're not willing to wait for, get TV's for those locations and call in QUICK. you may get lucky and just have to pay the wireless set up fee (thats standard for everyone), but you may have to be very assertive.

As for 4k, yes, directv has live and VOD 4k. to view live you need a C61K on the 4k TV, the 4K tv itself (duh), and HR54 genie (they'll likely install a Reverse Band LNB as well, future proofing). again, if this is something you're not willing to wait (and pay) to get, you should call in quickly and explain that this was not explained to you even after you asked. btw, you know you're capable of getting 4K content (somewhere in your system) if your main genie box has a 4K section under "search and browse".

sorry you got bad info, hopefully you can recover quickly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)