Thinking of ditching E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4d3fect

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
central Cali
been with Dish for a few years, now out of contract w/their AT120 and HDFFL.

Wife likes Cooking Channel and I like MLBTV, looking like comparable D* package (Choice, I think) would total would be about what we're paying now (about $57) With an HD DVR and a two year contract.

Really dislike switching providers around but this looks do-able.

Any thoughts you'd care to share would be appreciated very much, e.g., equipt. differences, likely choice of receivers, hardware differences, , anything else I might have missed.

-btw, just the two of us and the one HDTV.

Thanks for looking, great forum!

I just switched the other way, so I can give a few things.

1. D* HRxx equipment is slower in operation than anything you've seen from Dish. how much that will bother you would be just guesswork on my part. For me, the difference wouldn't be an issue to base a decision on. Other than slower, they operate as well as the Dish stuff.

2. HD will be slightly different, with D* being a bit better.

3. SD will be worse for the most part though it is somewhat channel specific.

4. Search is much better than E*'s, VOD is better imo, and program info is much more complete than on Dish.

As to equipment. If I were to go to D* today with a single DVR, I would get the HR34 (or HR44 if it has become available). No charge upfront, monthly fees the same as any other equipment from them. The 5 tuners would be welcome I would think.

The rest is down to money and channels that are important to you. If the money is better and the channel selection is good enough, then it isn't a leap to switch.

Note that D* does do some things differently, but I don't figure that as a big deal and shouldn't take you long to get used to.

LP thanks for the help.

1) Don't figure that to be a dealbreaker, pretty much impossible to figure in advance I suppose.

2) with our little 37" Vizio (720p) probably won't notice any difference

3)SD, see 2)

4) I remember being dismayed at the search/guide info difference when we switched from D* to E* a few years back but got over it.

and IDK what HR34 or HR44 are, at a guess, the new and newer genie models, or?

Other things being equal, a few channels we're very interested in D* has and E* doesn't. Which is the bottom line I guess,

LP thanks for the help.

1) Don't figure that to be a dealbreaker, pretty much impossible to figure in advance I suppose.

3)SD, see 2)

4) I remember being dismayed at the search/guide info difference when we switched from D* to E* a few years back but got over it.

Other things being equal, a few channels we're very interested in D* has and E* doesn't. Which is the bottom line I guess,

Yup,
Programming should be the place to START when looking for a provider.

If they don't have the channels you need, who cares about the rest.

LP thanks for the help.

3)SD, see 2)

Yeah, the HR34/HR44 are the new Genie with 5 tuners. If you only have one TV and that model, you'd have excellent flexibility for recording.

As to the rest, on that smaller set you probably won't notice any difference at all, though some SD channels might not be so good.

When I switched to Dish it was over channels too. I wanted Reelz in HD and the EPIX channels and D* doesn't offer them yet. In a year or so... well, who knows? :)

From my perspective as a not die-hard sports fan, D* and E* are pretty much 2 sides of the same coin. I really like my 2 Hopper setup, and the speed is very nice. But I do miss the simplicity of the D* guide and the better VOD and program info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.