Thinking of getting VOOM... BUT phone line?

DRAKO

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
VA
Hey guys, I just recently discovered this forum and I've been looking at several threads with great information about this new SAT service..

I currently subscribe to DirecTV and only have the basic HD package (only 4 channels) HDNET, NDNET MOVIES, ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD

DiscoveryHD is the main reason as its awesome..

Anyway enough babbling on my part :p

One of my main concerns is that I currently do not have a phone line at my house, basically it is much cheaper for all of us in my house to use cellphones so I never had one installed or plan to

I saw this could be a requirement, but is there any way around it??

I dont want to have to get the phone line as I dont have to for DTV... is it possible?

thanks for helping the n00b :)

Zero Down, just get it and if they harass you in the future tell Voom to pick up the equipment. Remember no contracts!

well I dont plan on getting any PPV, I rather just rent the dvd...

but I guess what I really meant was that if the phone line was necesary for the installation when the tech comes over or for software upgrades etc...

just wanted to make sure..

thanks for the replys :D

Wilt from Voom, claims it is needed for anti-pirate measures. When you sign up online, it claims the phone line is required. When I called to sign up, it was one of the first questions asked. When I signed for the equipment, it was in the contract.
Do not assume that it will ONLY be needed for PPV.

I guess I will just call and ask.. can't at the moment cause im at work, but again thanks

Hmmm, maybe this will work?

I don't know if this is practical or not but it might be worth looking into.
http://www.cellsocket.com/files/CellSocket-AdvancedInstall.pdf
http://www.cellsocket.com

This device allows any phone connected to it to dial through the cell phone so that you can use a standard home phone to call on your cell. In the PDF in mentions that you just dial the number and then hit # to simulate the send button. That is the catch. It would only work if you can set the Voom STB to do this. If so then, in theory this should work. Just picture the phone in the background is the STB. :confused:

Attachments

• cellsocket.bmp
    486.4 KB · Views: 168

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)