Thinking of switching from E* to D*, a few questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BlackGT

Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Hi, First off let me appologize for my first post being a bunch of questions, but I've been to the site a few times and found it very helpful. Hopefully someone can help me figure out how to handle this situation.

I am wanting to switch from E* to D* and after researching it a bit I came accross some horror stories from people that cancel dish network. Let me say that I am still in the middle of my contract with Dish and fully accept my responsibility to pay the cancellation fee and return the receivers, etc. I actually liked dish, but 80% of my television watching is sports, and the refusal to get the Big Ten Network has caused me to look elsewhere. The fact that the other channels I watch (The Science Channel, The History Channel, and The Sci-Fi Channel) are soon coming to D* in HD only made the decision easier.

Basically I have a few questions for anyone that might know, from expierience or otherwise.

1. What is the deal with E* taking money out of people's bank accounts without being authorized to do so, are these claims founded in facts? I am completely willing to send my equipment in, but I have read about people getting charged for it and then having the money refunded later on. I don't want $500 taken out of my account; I don't have that kind of spare cash to throw around. I have also seen stories from people that didn't get the boxes right away and went past the date they had to return the stuff by and in turn got charged for it.

2. Does anyone know if the Terre Haute, IN. area locals will be coming to D* anytime soon? I like to watch the Bears on Sunday, and my signal from Terre Haute is pretty poor, so this is a fairly big issue for me.

3. What is the deal with "putting dish service on hold" or whatever its called? Is this worth it, or a way to swindle people out of more money? Also, does the time spent on hold count towards completion of the contract?

I hope I put this in the right forum, I figure that the people on the dish network forum probably still have the service and I'm more likely to find a former dish network subscriber that has been through some of this stuff over here.

Also, before anyone asks, I did call directv with some of these questions and couldn't get a straight answer. The conversation always got turned towards trying to get me to buy the service. I haven't called Dish Network yet because I'd like to be somewhat informed when I call in to cancel.

Once again, sorry for my first post being long and filled with questions. Any help/advice at all that I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, First off let me appologize for my first post being a bunch of questions, but I've been to the site a few times and found it very helpful. Hopefully someone can help me figure out how to handle this situation.

I am wanting to switch from E* to D* and after researching it a bit I came accross some horror stories from people that cancel dish network. Let me say that I am still in the middle of my contract with Dish and fully accept my responsibility to pay the cancellation fee and return the receivers, etc. I actually liked dish, but 80% of my television watching is sports, and the refusal to get the Big Ten Network has caused me to look elsewhere. The fact that the other channels I watch (The Science Channel, The History Channel, and The Sci-Fi Channel) are soon coming to D* in HD only made the decision easier.

Basically I have a few questions for anyone that might know, from expierience or otherwise.

1. What is the deal with E* taking money out of people's bank accounts without being authorized to do so, are these claims founded in facts? I am completely willing to send my equipment in, but I have read about people getting charged for it and then having the money refunded later on. I don't want $500 taken out of my account; I don't have that kind of spare cash to throw around. I have also seen stories from people that didn't get the boxes right away and went past the date they had to return the stuff by and in turn got charged for it.

2. Does anyone know if the Terre Haute, IN. area locals will be coming to D* anytime soon? I like to watch the Bears on Sunday, and my signal from Terre Haute is pretty poor, so this is a fairly big issue for me.

3. What is the deal with "putting dish service on hold" or whatever its called? Is this worth it, or a way to swindle people out of more money? Also, does the time spent on hold count towards completion of the contract?

I hope I put this in the right forum, I figure that the people on the dish network forum probably still have the service and I'm more likely to find a former dish network subscriber that has been through some of this stuff over here.

Also, before anyone asks, I did call directv with some of these questions and couldn't get a straight answer. The conversation always got turned towards trying to get me to buy the service. I haven't called Dish Network yet because I'd like to be somewhat informed when I call in to cancel.

Once again, sorry for my first post being long and filled with questions. Any help/advice at all that I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Answer to number one is even though that COULD happen i imagine the reason you read or hear about it from time to time is because it is extreme cases. Just make sure you send everything back in a timely manner and you should be good.

For number two, there is a thread floating around here somewhere that has listed what is planned with the new sat. and what is planned with the one launching at the end of the year, not sure where it is, sorry.

For number 3, I wouldnt do that unless you wanted to keep both services. It does not count towards time on your contract.

I would call Dish and explain what you are doing and why. Be kind and polite and you shouldnt have any problems from them at all.
Good luck!

Greg, while your intentions may be good, I would caution any member about giving out personal info on here. Just a heads up for a new member

Anyone reading this, the reason i posted it has been deleted. So pay it no mind. Thanks

Last edited:
Greg,

I commend you as a sports fan to subscribe to D*. They definitely have sports fans in mind when it comes to choices.

If you go with D* go with the deal for new customers. You get the Sunday Ticket and the premium package for $70 a month. You can also get a free DVR upgrade or Free HD Receiver upgrade. If you want the HR20 (HDDVR), then that will cost you $200 up front.

After 4 months when the Sunday Ticket is over, you can go to a cheaper package that does not include all the movie channels and keep your bill a little under $70 a month if you have two receivers.

Greg,

I commend you as a sports fan to subscribe to D*. They definitely have sports fans in mind when it comes to choices.

If you go with D* go with the deal for new customers. You get the Sunday Ticket and the premium package for $70 a month. You can also get a free DVR upgrade or Free HD Receiver upgrade. If you want the HR20 (HDDVR), then that will cost you $200 up front.

After 4 months when the Sunday Ticket is over, you can go to a cheaper package that does not include all the movie channels and keep your bill a little under $70 a month if you have two receivers.

Sorry if i was misleading, Greg was another poster. lol
But everything else you said was pretty much spot on. The only thing i would recommend is haggle about the HR-20. It can and is often had for free.

1. What is the deal with E* taking money out of people's bank accounts without being authorized to do so, are these claims founded in facts?
The first time I read this story, it was D* that was doing it. While it is a possibility on either service, you can usually protect yourself with some pretty simple steps.
2. Does anyone know if the Terre Haute, IN. area locals will be coming to D* anytime soon?
It does seem odd that they don't offer SD locals although DMA 151 is pretty low on the totem pole. You should investigate an OTA solution as "significantly viewed" of the two Indy stations seems to be a perennial political hot potato. As for the HD versions of TSC and History, they're already on E* and it is likely that they'll both grab Sci-Fi as soon as it is available.
This sounds like a remnant of a D* story also. Suspending accounts for the off-season is a popular D* subscriber trick. E* calls it "Dish Pause".

The secret to success with canceling either service is to make sure that you keep track of who you talk to (by employee number) and absolutely keep the tracking information for anything you ship back to them. They'll send you the necessary bo:mad:es) with prepaid shipping labels.

I know if you cancel D* service they give you 6 days ,then they charge your credit card that they have on file for all remaining balances and early termination fees. So E* isn't the only one to do this.

Thanks to everyone for all of the responses and helpful information. I should have been a little more specific about my first question.

What I really am curious about as far as getting money taken out of the account is if they would do it the day I cancel and then refund it later on, or if they wait the 30 days or whatever it is. Also, does the fact that I never signed up for auto-pay have any bearing on how this money thing shakes out?

Also, as far as the locals go, I could literally go out my front door and walk 10 minutes and be in another DMA. Is there any way to get those channels instead or am i simply SOL if the ones in my market dont come available with the launch of the new sats?

Joe, I love the idea, but does D* charge any kind of penalty for changing to a lower package?

Thanks again to everyone that has responded.

Thanks to everyone for all of the responses and helpful information. I should have been a little more specific about my first question.

What I really am curious about as far as getting money taken out of the account is if they would do it the day I cancel and then refund it later on, or if they wait the 30 days or whatever it is. Also, does the fact that I never signed up for auto-pay have any bearing on how this money thing shakes out?

Also, as far as the locals go, I could literally go out my front door and walk 10 minutes and be in another DMA. Is there any way to get those channels instead or am i simply SOL if the ones in my market dont come available with the launch of the new sats?

Joe, I love the idea, but does D* charge any kind of penalty for changing to a lower package?

Thanks again to everyone that has responded.

Generally speaking, no matter how close you are to the next DMA you cant get them.
And no they dont charge you a penalty to change to a lower package. Its all prorated. The only way you lose money on changing is if you get a sports package and cancel it, then you still are responsible for the whole amount or the half that you have paid for if its split in two.

. Also, does the fact that I never signed up for auto-pay have any bearing on how this money thing shakes out?
No. They charge the card you have on file when you signed up for service. Also they can charge the card you made your last payment with,if you made on with a card.

No. They charge the card you have on file when you signed up for service. Also they can charge the card you made your last payment with,if you made on with a card.
Yeah sorry i left that question off.
Remeber though, most of these cases where they do that are the extreme and thats why you hear of them. Probably circumstances that whoever was telling the story "forgot to mention" in most cases

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)