Thinking of switching to DirectTV from Dish

jbirdbuc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Hello,

Been a Dish subscriber for almost 5 years now and have been pleased. Several issues lately have made me want to make the switch to direct tv. Can anyone state the pros and cons of using DirectTV? I currently have 180 package with dish and a 510 dvr with second receiver. What would be the best/comparable programming packages with directtv. I will post this in the directtv forum as well. Thanks to all.

Thinking about this too. Don't wanna pay extra $$ for HD-LITE VOOM I ain't gonna watch. On the other hand, will have to pay $$ for D* HD-LITE. Oh, well.

I subbed to Dish from late '99 until last month. I am very happy with the switch from 721s to Tivos. You'll be happy to go from one tuner to two.

If you can get the Tivo from Robert at Value Electronics, do it. The Tivo is being phased out so you need to act soon. A package similar to 180 on D* does not include movie channels. Look at Total Choice Plus, then add some movie channels on your own.

You really want to avoid the R15 for now as it seems to be rather slow. The Tivo starts off slow for about the first week. If you leave the phone line plugged in, your software will be upgraded to V 6.2 and the system flies.

I just made the switch a month ago and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

www.valueelectronics.com

Make sure you mention to them you saw it here on SatelliteGuys.US for the best deal!

Remember the new Directv HD PVR will NOT have a 30 second skip feature. Dish still has it. Also Directv is a 2 year commitment for all their equipment with rebates.

Last edited:
*seconds the 2 year commitment thought* Contracts are lame and stupid, especially when you opt to buy equipment (and I'm 80% sure that DirecTV still makes you commit even IF you own the equipment..

Grass is greener on the other side. LOL. :)

bestboff said:
Remember the new Directv HD PVR will NOT have a 30 second skip feature. Dish still has it.

For me, that would be reason alone to stay with Dish. I got spoiled delaying NFL games and playing "speed catch-up" with the skip button. Seven times to get through most commercial blocks.

Also, if you wish for on screen caller ID, Direct TV HD DVR does not support it. But, I think they are coming out with a model that will support it.

jbirdbuc said:
Hello,

Been a Dish subscriber for almost 5 years now and have been pleased. Several issues lately have made me want to make the switch to direct tv. Can anyone state the pros and cons of using DirectTV? I currently have 180 package with dish and a 510 dvr with second receiver. What would be the best/comparable programming packages with directtv. I will post this in the directtv forum as well. Thanks to all.
Directv Total Choice Plus with the Starz package would be very close to DISH 180 with Starz but cheaper. The R15 DVR works much better than most DISH DVRs. Yes it is lacking the 30 second skip which we hope will be included in a future upgrade. Right now you pay $99 for the 2 tuner DVR and get a $100 rebate so with the free basic receivers and free after rebate DVR youir system is free. Directv requires a 2 yr. contract but the current contract statres if you return the equipment to Directv their is no penalty. If you aren't going to subscribe why have equipment?:)

boba said:
Directv Total Choice Plus with the Starz package would be very close to DISH 180 with Starz but cheaper. The R15 DVR works much better than most DISH DVRs. Yes it is lacking the 30 second skip which we hope will be included in a future upgrade. Right now you pay $99 for the 2 tuner DVR and get a $100 rebate so with the free basic receivers and free after rebate DVR youir system is free. Directv requires a 2 yr. contract but the current contract statres if you return the equipment to Directv their is no penalty. If you aren't going to subscribe why have equipment?:)

How do you figure TC+ w/Starz at $57.99 until 3/1 then goes to $60.99 if you sign up before 3/1 or goes to $61.99 if you sign up after 3/1(whew that is confusing) compared to AT180 that includes the Encores, TMC and TMC Extra instead of Starz, and some of the sports channels that in TC + require a subscription to the $12 (or $11 if its your 2nd premium) to get, all for $54.99 w/locals with out adding an additional premium package. $54.99 seams to be cheaper then $60.99 or $61.99 to me.

Chris Freeland said:
How do you figure TC+ w/Starz at $57.99 until 3/1 then goes to $60.99 if you sign up before 3/1 or goes to $61.99 if you sign up after 3/1(whew that is confusing) compared to AT180 that includes the Encores, TMC and TMC Extra instead of Starz, and some of the sports channels that in TC + require a subscription to the $12 (or $11 if its your 2nd premium) to get, all for $54.99 w/locals with out adding an additional premium package. $54.99 seams to be cheaper then $60.99 or $61.99 to me.
Chris I said the 180 with Starz to make the comparison as close as possible Directv sells the Encore channels with their Starz package so TC+ with Starz and AT180 with Starz is a closer comparison and puts Directv cheaper.:)

How can you tivo users stand that OBSCENELY slow guide? My girl's got one still under contract and I want to throw it through the wall! Plus the IR remotes with D need to be pointed directly at the box to work, unlike E's IR remotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)