Switching over to dish

John2021

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Los angeles
i made the call today to rid myself from DTV.. dish offered me a hopper 1 wich i am cool with since i can buy a hopper 3. the rep told me that i could call in and swap out the hopper 1 for my owned hopper 3 when i get it. has anyone done this while in a promo. as i don't want to be stuck with a dvr that can't handle the workload of a housefull of 7 people:coco.
thoughts and inputs on this. i am hoping it will be easy peasy:).

last i knew dish also let people have owned hardware on there account also.
also will the hopper 3 switch to streaming like the genie does in bad weather so you can keep watching your show

If they install the Hopper 2000 (H1) for you, the dish they install (specifically the lnb and any hubs/nodes/switches) will not be compatible with the Hopper 3 - totally different method of stacking channels.

If I were you I would call back and insist on a Hopper 3 ($100 markup for a leased unit) or postpone installation until you have the bought H3 in hand. Otherwise you are in for a messy business and Dish will probably charge you $95 to come out and fix it.

If they install the Hopper 2000 (H1) for you, the dish they install (specifically the lnb and any hubs/nodes/switches) will not be compatible with the Hopper 3 - totally different method of stacking channels.

If I were you I would call back and insist on a Hopper 3 ($100 markup for a leased unit) or postpone installation until you have the bought H3 in hand. Otherwise you are in for a messy business and Dish will probably charge you $95 to come out and fix it.
Totally incorrect
They will install the hybrid LNB which is compatible with all Hoppers

so when i do decide to go ahead with the install. couldn't i have them throw the H3 in with the mix then just call in and have them remove the H1 and mail it back to them:what2. i know they used to allow two hoppers on one acct a while back but one had to be an owned hopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
In order to have two Hopper3 receivers you would need to change out the hybrid LNB’s and add a DPH42 switch. Instead of one cable you would need a cable for each satellite connected from the Dish to the switch (2 cables for eastern arc and 3 cables for western arc). So the installation would be completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order to have two Hopper3 receivers you would need to change out the hybrid LNB’s and add a DPH42 switch. Instead of one cable you would need a cable for each satellite connected from the Dish to the switch (2 cables for eastern arc and 3 cables for western arc). So the installation would be completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why does the LNBs need to be changed?

Why does the LNBs need to be changed?
Because the 42 Switch converts DPP technology to Hybrid and requires 1 cable per Satellite from the LNB to the Switch. Since Hybrid LNB's only have 2 outputs, the second only being used in specific installations, that would deem the Western Arc incapable. Not to mention the conflict between LNB and Switch

i made the call today to rid myself from DTV.. dish offered me a hopper 1 wich i am cool with since i can buy a hopper 3. the rep told me that i could call in and swap out the hopper 1 for my owned hopper 3 when i get it. has anyone done this while in a promo. as i don't want to be stuck with a dvr that can't handle the workload of a housefull of 7 people:coco.

also will the hopper 3 switch to streaming like the genie does in bad weather so you can keep watching your show
No, you cannot just switch to streaming to finish watching a live broadcast. You CAN find your show on On-Demand, but typically only after it airs, in some cases or at the end of season in others.

Back in 2016 dish had the same 3yr price lock promotion I setup for my mom..Back them I had to use the receiver they issued for the promo..I was allowed to add a second owned receiver but had to keep the dish owned one active

Back in 2016 dish had the same 3yr price lock promotion I setup for my mom..Back them I had to use the receiver they issued for the promo..I was allowed to add a second owned receiver but had to keep the dish owned one active
i forgot about that i am glad you brought that up!!! i will have to call in and ask. doing as much research as i can

There's no way. Dish is at End of Life for the Hopper 1. It's been for Pay as You Go and bad credit accounts but the word came out this week that any repair work orders on Hoppe 1 accounts need to be changed to a Hopper w/Sling (Hopper 2)
i have no clue what hopper i would be getting but the convo of joey 2's was mentioned. the rep was like take it so i get the price lock and i don't go on an activation acct

well since no one can give me a strait answer on weather i need one leased box. i won't even look at dish no more

well since no one can give me a strait answer on weather i need one leased box. i won't even look at dish no more
Holy crap, first you never said you weren't going on an activation account, whatever that means, and you also never asked if you had to have 1 or any leased boxes.

Reactions: TheKrell
Holy crap, first you never said you weren't going on an activation account, whatever that means, and you also never asked if you had to have 1 or any le

Holy crap, first you never said you weren't going on an activation account, whatever that means, and you also never asked if you had to have 1 or any leased boxes.

no i would be on a post paid acct like a regular customer. there idea of an activation acct is a prepaid acct.. tvland1 was the one that brought the leased boxes up and they did require that years ago to get the promo's i forgot about that. everytime i try to get answers from em it's a different song and dance. and they wanna run my credit every freaking time. i just said f em

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
no i would be on a post paid acct like a regular customer. there idea of an activation acct is a prepaid acct.. tvland1 was the one that brought the leased boxes up and they did require that years ago to get the promo's i forgot about that. everytime i try to get answers from em it's a different song and dance. and they wanna run my credit every freaking time. i just said f em
Most of the time, your posts make no sense.

All you have to do is go to their Site and sign up, yes the boxes are leased, but even if you owned one you would still have the monthly charge.

When you signed up for DirecTV, they required your SS# also, they did when I was a subscriber and that was about 12 years ago.

If you just want it easy and not provide your personal info, there are other services but this is not the area for it, head to the Cord Cutter Forum if you have any questions.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
First of all, they’re not doing a hard credit check that shows up on your credit report. They’re looking at your history of bill payment. And how strapped you might be. Truth is the credit checks never seem to make much sense because I go to $1 million home where people apparently didn’t have good enough credit to get a Hopper 3 and then I go to a roached out trailer where they’re getting a Hopper 3

But if you are on a contract, then you are not getting a Hopper 1.

First of all, they’re not doing a hard credit check that shows up on your credit report. They’re looking at your history of bill payment. And how strapped you might be. Truth is the credit checks never seem to make much sense because I go to $1 million home where people apparently didn’t have good enough credit to get a Hopper 3 and then I go to a roached out trailer where they’re getting a Hopper 3

But if you are on a contract, then you are not getting a Hopper 1.
i did ask for the hopper 3 and i got it for a 100.00 dollar upgrade fee. the last rep told me the other reps must have been thinking with there purse...