Thinking of switching to DirecTV - get 4K equipment with no 4K TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
I am thinking of switching from Uverse TV to DirecTV (is there an ETF if doing so?).

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I plan on getting one in the next few months. Should I go ahead and get 4k DTV hardware now?

I will be hooking up 3 HD TVs and will want DVR service. Can you all recommend equipment suggestions?

Thanks!

Installers are instructed not to install a 4k client unless you have a 4k tv due to some occasional hardware conflicts.

The current free equipment is the genie system which operates like a server-client system with 1 main DVR and clients or mini genies on the secondary TVs. They share 5 tuners and a terabyte hard drive

I would recommend waiting until the next generation of genie comes out within the next several months that will support a larger storage capacity and more simultaneous 4k streams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking of switching from Uverse TV to DirecTV (is there an ETF if doing so?).

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I plan on getting one in the next few months. Should I go ahead and get 4k DTV hardware now?

I will be hooking up 3 HD TVs and will want DVR service. Can you all recommend equipment suggestions?

Thanks!

The 4k C61k client is a disappointment. I would wait.

Reactions: edisonprime
I have had very few issues with my c61k. Most of my issues were actually fixed on the TV side after a firmware update

from the fcc docs, looks like the are doubling down on it

What do you mean exactly?

What is the c61k client?

So is there actual proof Direct is working on a receiver, or just rumors? What would the process be like if I went with Direct now and wanted to upgrade to the newest receiver once it is released?

thanks

What do you mean exactly?

What is the c61k client?

So is there actual proof Direct is working on a receiver, or just rumors? What would the process be like if I went with Direct now and wanted to upgrade to the newest receiver once it is released?

thanks

thread here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/hs17-100-for-those-wondering.366987/

the c61k is the 4k client
the only way yo get a 4k via hdmi
the rumored hs17 uses this same client (see the user manual near the end of the thread)

oh and if you got the current system, and wanted to upgrade before 2 years was up, well it would be on your dime, unless you had issues

The 4k C61k client is a disappointment. I would wait.

To be clear, my issues with the C61k are all about speed and responsiveness. If those don't matter to you, then you would probably be happy.

any client is going to have those issues. without an actual tuner its sending info to the server, and back.

Why is it that DirecTV says that there are 2 ways of getting 4k programming. One, being having that c61k client, and another way is having the proper package and just a DirecTV 4k ready tv? This is from their website... "You need a manufacturer-certified DIRECTV 4K Ready TV. If your 4K Ultra HD TV is not DIRECTV Ready, you’ll need to connect it to a 4K Genie Mini (Model C61K)".

Had a chat session on the website, and a service call has been scheduled for Monday. Not sure what they can do, but at least I'm closer to having this resolved. Thanks for the suggestions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)