Thinking of switching

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
After 12 years with Dish Network, I am seriously considering Directv. The Reason is Directv finally has my locals. Also, My telephone company offers a $5 dollars a month discount with Directv.

Currently, I have a VIP722 DVR. My program pkg. is America's Top 250, DVR Service, HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) AND HBO. Total price is $93.19 a month.

I also get Starz for free but that is a 12 month promotion.

My back TV using the second output from the 722 so it is SD.

What package do I need with Directv? I want a separate HD Receiver for my bedroom. I realize there is a charge for this.

Also, what Receiver should I be pushing for with Directv? I definitely want a DVR for my front TV.

Should I do this now or is there a "promotion" coming soon?

What will be any negatives going from Dish to Directv?

What are the positives?

Thanks

I would get a HR34 from DirecTv and a H25. You can get it for $99 as a new customer. The HR34 has 5 tuners and a 1TB HDD. The package that is similar to AT250 is Choice Ultimate. Also, if you are a AAA member or know someone who is (you can use their group number, just pretend you are one) you can get an extra $10 per month off for 20 months. You will need to call this number 1-800-370-3578. Go to their website and check out their latest offer.

I agree with bobvick.

Go with HR34 and H25s for additional tvs with whole home DVR. I have this setup and it's great. The H25s are really fast too.

yeah I agree. Get the HR34. It will cost you $99 up front (the HR24 is free) but 5 tuners on the HR34 versus 2 on the HR24 is well worth it

Also note the HR34 does not have an OTA tuner. You can add a AM21 for $50 but unlike the 722 it does not add any extra tuners (like the 722 does)

yeah I agree. Get the HR34. It will cost you $99 up front (the HR24 is free) but 5 tuners on the HR34 versus 2 on the HR24 is well worth it

Also note the HR34 does not have an OTA tuner. You can add a AM21 for $50 but unlike the 722 it does not add any extra tuners (like the 722 does)

How can I convince Directv Rep to only bring a HR 34 and a HR 24? Is there a HR 25? Difference or what should I push for? I will pay the $99 dollars for the HR 34 which I should get with the right pkg but I do not wasnt old technology on my "other" HD Receiver.

A OTA tuner is no longer a issue. I will keep my Antenna hooked up to both TV'S for possible backup.

I want to make sure I get all the possible discounts available from Directv. I also want there most current Receivers for my setup.

There is no HR25. There are two ways to guaranty certain equipment. If you want the HR34, you have to request the HMC, or home media center. If you want an HR24, which is the best dvr aside the HR34, you have to get it from a vendor. Directv doesn't guaranty any particular model except the HR34.

How can I convince Directv Rep to only bring a HR 34 and a HR 24? Is there a HR 25? Difference or what should I push for? I will pay the $99 dollars for the HR 34 which I should get with the right pkg but I do not wasnt old technology on my "other" HD Receiver.

A OTA tuner is no longer a issue. I will keep my Antenna hooked up to both TV'S for possible backup.

I want to make sure I get all the possible discounts available from Directv. I also want there most current Receivers for my setup.

To guarantee an HR-34, you request an HMC (Home Media Center HD DVR). You will likely pay $99 up front, and you'll be guaranteed that device.

As for the HD DVR, you can get one from DirecTV, but there is no guarantee it'll be the HR24 (although it's highly likely you'll get that). The other option is to order it from a retailer, like SolidSignal.com

Check your PMs!

Was reading this because I was a Dish customer and closed my account when we moved to a rental while our house is being built. I'm planning on going to DirecTV once we move into the new house and really like the HR34.

One thing I noticed in this thread is that smackman1 had a HR24 listed in his last post. Why are you looking at that instead of just getting the H25 for your second TV like bobvick suggested? With the HR34 you can watch the things you record on the H25, right guys and gals?

Iceberg, so if you added an AM21 can you record from it? I had an OTA antenna when I was with Dish and it was nice to be able to record from it. Granted with the HR34 and 5 tuners I doubt I would need it. My plan is to put it in the attic but if I can't record from it I could always run it right to the TV just as a backup or if all 5 tuners were recording something (which I have a hard time seeing it happen).

Was reading this because I was a Dish customer and closed my account when we moved to a rental while our house is being built. I'm planning on going to DirecTV once we move into the new house and really like the HR34.

One thing I noticed in this thread is that smackman1 had a HR24 listed in his last post. Why are you looking at that instead of just getting the H25 for your second TV like bobvick suggested? With the HR34 you can watch the things you record on the H25, right guys and gals?

Iceberg, so if you added an AM21 can you record from it? I had an OTA antenna when I was with Dish and it was nice to be able to record from it. Granted with the HR34 and 5 tuners I doubt I would need it. My plan is to put it in the attic but if I can't record from it I could always run it right to the TV just as a backup or if all 5 tuners were recording something (which I have a hard time seeing it happen).

That is correct, with whole house DVR you can watch recording shows and schedule recorded shows from anywhere in the house. You cannot, however, pause/rewind live TV (unless you are connected via RVU). There is a work around for this, and that is recording the show you're watching, opening up your recordings and playing it. This will then allow you pause and rewind what you're watching in real time.

correct. The H25 can view programs from the HR34

yes you can record off of it. I am a "mover" so the AM21 worked great for recording the locals. But a couple drawbacks with the AM21
-you do not add any tuners to record by adding this (unlike Dish). If you have a HR24 (or any other DVR) you only have 2 tuners to record from total. The HMC would still be at 5
-it can't scan. It goes off a database by zip/DMA. You can enter 2 zip codes if you're near a border of another DMA. But as example right now in Minneapolis we are missing the following full power stations in the AM21 (I'm not including the 18 low powered religious ones)
-MeTV (3rd subchannel)
-Country Network (3rd subchannel on CW affiliate)
it varies by market

Now that I found a better "move" location that gives me my locals + the neighboring as sig viewed (and other than a Independent station) all in HD the AM21 wasnt needed anymore

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)