Thinking of switching

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fat Sajak

Original poster
May 6, 2008
Apoligize if this has been covered before, I did a quick search and could find anything. I am thinking of switching and was looking at the Direct site. If I get the Whole Home DVR and 4 HD boxes(5 TVs total in my house). Will I be able to watch seperate "live" programs on each TV? From searching it looks like the DVR is the only thing that is shared(2 can use at the same time). Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Appreciate the help.

Will I be able to watch seperate "live" programs on each TV?
yes. DIrectv usually gives you H25's which are HD receivers that can act independently by themselves for live tv. So for 1 Home Media Center (HR34) and 4 H25's you would have 9 tuners total

sounds right
each unit has its own tuner so can watch anything live

they cannot pause/reqind this live content, only dvrs can do this

if you have other locations that need this, then get more dvrs

Also just to add since your getting 4 H25's the HR 34's only allow 3 remote rooms streaming at the same time.

In other words all 5 rooms can't watch a dvr recording at the same time, Only 3 of the H25 and the HR34 can. The other H25 room with have to wait untill one of the other REMOTE rooms (H25's) is watching live tv, or is not in use.
May not be a problem with you, just keep that in mind.

With 5 rooms you can all still record at the same time, Just remember the HR 34 will not be able to watch Live tv if all 4 of your remote rooms are recording as well as your HR34. Again most likly rare!
But your 4 H25 will never have interuption watching live tv.

To solve these problems when I upgraded my SD receiver to an HD one, (Before the install) I went with another HD DVR on top of my HR34. I don't share the Hr23 with any rooms, (you can if you want) But I can still watch anything I want off the HR 34.

If you do get another HD DVR , you can't tell the HR24( or any DVR) to record to the Hr34, and vise versa!

Do not get talked into the HR 24 for your Whole home DVR!
You will not be happy using this in a 5 room system!

The HR 24 will only stream to 1 remote room at a time and only 1 room can record at a time without interrupting live tv on the HR24 .
Spend the Extra $99 on the HR34. Money well spent!

Last edited:
One more thing to add , that I thought was cool,
You can watch the same recording at the same time in up to 4 rooms (3 remote rooms).

But you each can watch different parts at the same time. Not Mirrored! Its cool!.

Appreciate the info everyone. Just waiting to see what happens between Dish/AMC. Losing AMC would be a deal breaker for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)