This BUD is for me? Very tough extraction!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, found me a BUD. Looks complete. Mesh and part of the dish frame is made from aluminum. Did not see any major damage, just some dings in the mesh. Provided the feed horn cover is 18 inches long it looks to be a 10 footer.

bud.jpg

Anybody have any ideas on what brand it might be?

The extraction looks to be a challenge as it is up about 25 feet with very little room. About the only thing I see working is scaffolding to make a temporary platform to disassemble it from piece by piece.

Not sure it is worth the effort but I will price some scaffolding rental later today and go from there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, DC

---cut---
Not sure it is worth the effort but I will price some scaffolding rental later today and go from there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, DC

Looks like the scaffolding rental would cost about $100. Trying to decide if it is worth $100 and a heck of a lot of work.

Question on the way it is put together, on another thread I found on Paraclipse dishes I found mention of lots of clips being used to hold the mesh. This dish does have the clips but I could not tell from the ground looking with a cheap binocular if the clips have to be removed to remove sections of the dish. What I'm thinking is simply remove each section of the dish with the mesh intact.

Would this be doable?

Thanks, DC

two ideas / no guarantees

two ideas / no guarantees:

- take some pictures with a higher resolution camera.
I did for a dish I wanted, and was able to see a lot more in the pictures, analyzing them after the fact.
Plus, post 'em here, and no telling what the collected minds of SatGuys will see. :rolleyes:

- see what it'd cost to rent a bucket truck or one of those electric scaffolding lifts.
It might be such that you could use it to get you up in the air to work on the dish...
.... and then also to ferry it down to the ground without major disasembly.!.
Well, it's an idea. I don't have all the answers; you'd need to play it by ear.
But even if that cost $250, and cut your time to half a day, it might pay for itself.

another thing to consider, is 1st call some of you're local c-band dealers in you're area an ask them how much that they will charge just to drop the dish down on the ground, for you. with most guys that do that work it may only take them about a hour to have that dish discontected an on the ground, with a gin-pole.

but most of all if you are not that comfortable with hight, that it is at, walk away from it, because people that are nervous or not that shure may fall or slip alot easer than some one that is not. an you can get hurt real bad from a fall. I can say this because in 1993 had a shingle peel out on me an slid down the roof, grabed the gutter an fell 16-feet an broke 2-vertbrays, seperated 3-ribs from the sternem, an was down for almost a year, most depressing time of my life, with lot an lots of paine. so best thing is always think saftey for you an you're helpers.
Good Luck

Hi Anole, 1Captain and the group. Thanks for the replies.

I think I will run by the site this morning and take some more pictures of it. It is quite close and I stopped by yesterday and took another look. Sure looks like the sections are bolted together and could be removed with the mesh intact. Just not sure about the hub and how the sections are attached there.

The site is very tight, about the only access is from directly under it with scaffolding or from the street with a crane. It looks to be a bit too far for a rentable lift as it is about 30 feet high and about 40 feet from the street.

There are two phone or cable lines directly under the dish and I do not believe there is enough room to drop the dish intact. The scaffolding would have to be installed around the cables. The dish has to come down in sections.

Captain, thanks for the words of caution. Slipping on that broken shingle sure must have been scary and very painful. Most of the houses in this area have very low slope but not this one. I took one look at the roof and instantly knew there was no way to access the dish from the roof.

I'm quite comfortable with scaffolding and have used it in the past. I think the dish can be removed safely using the scaffolding but it is going to take a lot of work.

Let me post the new pictures later today and we can kick it around a bit more before I commit to taking it down this weekend.

BTW - it is mounted on a SCH 40 3 1/2 pipe and the top section is 20 feet or so. I would love to try and grab the pipe too but it also looks to be a challenge to take down. I researched the pipe yesterday and came up with 9.11 LB per foot so if this is correct I'm looking at about 190 LB. Let me post the picture and see if anyone has some ideas on the pipe.

Thanks, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts