This is bad! Superbowl and no signal (weather related): Help!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjbap

Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Greater Philly
Hi All!

I'm from greater Philly and we got hit with 18 inches of snow yesterday. My HD dish is out, but of course DirecTV can't get out here till Tuesday.

Anything I can do? I was on my roof, and the dish does not have accumulated snow. The LNBs are also covered with a white cap, and I don't think snow is polluting those either. This really, really blows, with the game coming up and all. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PJB

Hi All!

I'm from greater Philly and we got hit with 18 inches of snow yesterday. My HD dish is out, but of course DirecTV can't get out here till Tuesday.

Anything I can do? I was on my roof, and the dish does not have accumulated snow. The LNBs are also covered with a white cap, and I don't think snow is polluting those either. This really, really blows, with the game coming up and all. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PJB
Rabbit ears ?
OTA antenna, probably too late for the latter though.

If the dish is snow covered, have you already tried to clear it off by yourself?

PJ,
What kind of signal strength do you have currently on your sats for your locals as well as the others.
If you have HD locals they should be on either 99s or 103s , you shoudl have a few that are in the 90's for the Spotbeam ones, many of the others transponders will be low or 0

OK, I just hooked up Rabbit ears to my antenna input on my HD TV. I'm only getting Channel 6 (Crystal clear). What others should I try?

I'll try the 99's or 103's as well.

Thank you Jimbo for the such a simple, easy solution. Can't believe I didn't think of it!

Took the ole rabbit ears Radio Shack antenna from our kitchen TV which isn't hooked up to Satellite, and connected it to the HDTV. Changed the appropriate input on the TV, then did a channel scan for signal. Voila! I have CBS in High Definition.

Funny, I do have a Standard Def dish on my roof with signal working on a downstairs plasma TV. But to watch the Superbowl in Standard Def?!! No way!! (I have gotten spoiled).

Thanks for the responses. I wish DirectTV tech support could be as useful...

The other weather related problem source is trees that have bent in frot of the dish due to snow weight. Next...check any exterior fittings...one at a time .....for water. There should be no burned wire evidence. Sometimes water freezes and thaws inside the fitting....then you get a thing like a spark plug arc that burns away the center wire.

And there was an issue with Slimeline LNBs not cutting it in the cold....nothing you can do about that one but try tapping the case and see what you get. Might fix it. Finally try a reset.

Joe

Last edited:
Thank you Jimbo for the such a simple, easy solution. Can't believe I didn't think of it!

Took the ole rabbit ears Radio Shack antenna from our kitchen TV which isn't hooked up to Satellite, and connected it to the HDTV. Changed the appropriate input on the TV, then did a channel scan for signal. Voila! I have CBS in High Definition.

Funny, I do have a Standard Def dish on my roof with signal working on a downstairs plasma TV. But to watch the Superbowl in Standard Def?!! No way!! (I have gotten spoiled).

Thanks for the responses. I wish DirectTV tech support could be as useful...

Glad to see your gonna be able to watch the game after all. :up

Thats what were here for, ideas when D* don't have the answers !

And there was an issue with Slimeline LNBs not cutting it in the cold....nothing you can do about that one but try tapping the case and see what you get. Might fix it. Finally try a reset.

Joe

yah i dealt with the same problems on my service calls.. however, most of them were SWM cold LNBs and not SL3s...

I have seen this far to often...

if you had heavy snow that is packed with ice or water.. it does pull down the cables if the snow comes up that far to where the connectors meet in either a multi switch or a ground block. i have seen my share of fittings pulled out of the multi switch or ground block. i went to a call that had 0 signal..
went out side and found all 4 cables were yanked out. i first thought it was the customer did it, but when i tried to re fit them a fitting, the snow was pulling on the cables at a tremdous of weight... i have fittings that did this and i can take a pic. the screw cap has snapped off where the compression shaft has broke.

its possible.. but are you getting programming at all or just locals? if 0 signal, its a possible bc of all that snow and weight.

The other weather related problem source is trees that have bent in front of the dish due to snow weight. Next...check any exterior fittings...one at a time .....for water. There should be no burned wire evidence. Sometimes water freezes and thaws inside the fitting....then you get a thing like a spark plug arc that burns away the center wire.

Joe

Just fixing a typo...so many buttons!

pjbap

Since you live in an area with seemingly good OTA reception, you may want to consider a permanent OTA antenna of some sort as a back-up.

I have a small outside UHF/VHF combo antenna on a pole and get ABC, NBC, and FOX. Can't get CBS yet, trying a higher pole and different antenna is next on my list. I live in the sticks and am very lucky to get what I get.

My OTA antenna is hooked to my main 50" Plasma. Anytime the weather gets real bad, or the FOX 26 HD feed to DirecTV starts messing up, I just change the input on the TV with my remote and I'm in business. :D

Just my 2 cents

You want to bring in CBS & make all your OTA locals solid purchase a pre-amp for the antenna; you'll need power for the amp but $ for $ nothing boosts an OTA like a pre-amp. I don't have a turning antenna mast but my arch is easily above 100 miles & I'm using an antenna that is in my attic.

You want to bring in CBS & make all your OTA locals solid purchase a pre-amp for the antenna; you'll need power for the amp but $ for $ nothing boosts an OTA like a pre-amp. I don't have a turning antenna mast but my arch is easily above 100 miles & I'm using an antenna that is in my attic.

+1, a pre-amp makes a HUGE difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.