This is getting frustrating! G10 quality LOW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ACD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Quality on G10 is so low I can barely get a channel where I always had a decent one. I tried adding a DSS LNB to the dish with the 4x1 diseq switch, the dish would not stop at G10, it would pan back and forth. I put the switch after the motor and the dish stopped at G10, I was able to scan more TP's so I know the DSS was picking up the signal. I put everything back the way I had it before and still no signal. Best I get is 17%. Is it atmosphere today? I cant get a decent off air Digital signal either where I seldom ever have an issue.

dss lnbf will not work

you will need a linear KU band lnbf and at least a 75cm dish to receive decent signal on G-10R. Dss lnbf is only for circular signals from Dss satellites which are still KU (the upper most portion) You need a linear lnbf to receive Horizontal and Vertical signals. This is most likely why you are having so much trouble. I live in Charleston, WV and G-10R is not overly strong with a 1.2 meter dish and .4 KU lnbf. Hope that helps a little. :)

Similar problem

I've been having a similar problem with G10R. I can get the TP at 11800MHz to lock no problem. I can get a strong signal on G10R for many of the transponders. But I could barely get TP 11720 MHz to lock unless I was pointed slightly west of the satellite. Then I posted a question about this satellite in another thread. In one of my follow ups I proposed that I was experiencing interference from EchoStar 9 as it seemed that when I was west of the satellite's center I had better luck getting a lock. One of the answers that came back was yes, I could be experiencing problems on the TP at 11719 MHz. This is slightly off from what was published at Lyngsat. I adjusted my frequency down 1MHz for that TP and I got a lock right away. On some of the other TP I adjusted my frequency up or down off the Lyngsat published frequencies and got faster locks than ever before. All Saturday I could get a lock real easy on this satellite; until late evening.

All day Sunday I could get the channels on 11,800MHz but nothing else solid. Partial locks on 11720 MHz or 11719 MHz although the 11719 MHz seemed better. Signal strength for me was a 65 out of a possible 80 on 11719 MHz on Saturday. Using 11719 MHz I got a quality past mid scale. Using 11720 Saturday got me a 62 strength reading but no lock except for a momentary blip. But Sunday the signal reading was all over the place with most of the transponders. (No, there was no wind and my dish is sound. No, the sky was clear and this is not rain fade.) The only TP I could get to lock was 11800 MHz.

I hope this helps. I will tell you that I am a newbie to the digital FTA but have been playing with big dishes for many years. Maybe my experiences can help but I will not say I'm anywhere near being an expert on the FTA MPEG side.

I have an 80cm dish with a .6KU LNB. I was getting G10 fairly well, but yesterday it was almost non existant, and about 10PM, I checked again and the channels were back :wtf: What really puzzeled me was why the dish wouldnt stop at the correct position when I added the Diseqc switch and the DSS LNB. It panned back and forth. I moved the switch to after the motor and it then locked ona nd I was able to scann some more TP's so I know the DSS LNB picked up some TP's. I took the switch out thinking it was the cause, but I still was not able to get anything. I may have found a feedhorn and LNB for the BUD I got, hopefully I can mount it and it works otherwise I might have to either get a bigger KU dish or a different LNB. I should be getting a good signal since I have a clear LOS, but I dont, except on one TP on G10, all the TP's on any sat I get is less than 30%, the one on G10 is up around 90% and that is the one that FOX and UPN are on.

Finally! Thank you Thank you. I wasnt certain about it, but I am now. Isnt there a new one out that does both linear and circular?

Any idea what is causing the panning of the dish when the switch is installed?

OK, I remember reading that one, thats what made me think about it here. I did asearch but havent found one for sale. Any recommendations and whats the average price? I havent decided what to do with the BUD yet since I dont want to spend money on a feedhorn and find out it doesnt fit. I hate having $400 worth of equipment sitting around taking up space, so I think I will get this first and go from there.

LNB at issue?

EDIT/Update in RED
<Insert Equipment listing per request>
Dish 10' = 10FT Winegard Mesh
Actuator = Von Weise (24")
C/Ku analog receiver (master) = Echostar SRD 6000
C LNB = 40 degree (I will be replacing this)
Ku LNB = 0.6 dB
FTA MPEG = Samsung DSR 2700

Okay, I see the small dish LNB at the link provided. I have a few like these that were donated (read: rescued from the land fill) after someone upgraded DirecTV or Dish and left the old one by the curb.

With my C/Ku and Dish Network systems I've experienced solar outages, rain fade, high winds (picture loss from dish blowing around), TI, and even equipment failure and can troubleshoot most problems fairly decently. No manuals for my systems, learned their functions by trial and error. Dish alignment from quick description from vendor at a ham fest and can align a big dish in about 15 minutes. Have been using Lyngsat as the programming reference guide for many years and SATCODX before that. But the MPEG failures I keep seeing don't make any sense; I can't nail it down. I thought I did when I adjusted the TP frequency and got an instant lock only to find I lost the signal the next day. But I see others having this same problem. Am I making a common mistake? Is my older LNB biting me?

I have a big dish (10' Winegard) that requires the LNB mount to the feed horn assembly. Will an inline amp work or do I get something better than my 0.6dB Ku LNB? I'm figuring a ten foot dish and a 0.6 dB LNB should lock without complaining but I see I'm wrong.

I have a ham fest coming up in three weeks or so. This place usually has Primestar dishes for pennies. Are they worth setting up as a dedicate system dish for a couple of the birds (ie G10R)?

An in-line amp is like a water pump. It helps get the signal to the receiver on a long run BUT if there is little to pump it will not help.

jollyrgr said:
EDIT/Update in RED
<Insert Equipment listing per request>
Dish 10' = 10FT Winegard Mesh
Actuator = Von Weise (24")
C/Ku analog receiver (master) = Echostar SRD 6000
C LNB = 40 degree (I will be replacing this)
Ku LNB = 0.6 dB
FTA MPEG = Samsung DSR 2700

Okay, I see the small dish LNB at the link provided. I have a few like these that were donated (read: rescued from the land fill) after someone upgraded DirecTV or Dish and left the old one by the curb.

With my C/Ku and Dish Network systems I've experienced solar outages, rain fade, high winds (picture loss from dish blowing around), TI, and even equipment failure and can troubleshoot most problems fairly decently. No manuals for my systems, learned their functions by trial and error. Dish alignment from quick description from vendor at a ham fest and can align a big dish in about 15 minutes. Have been using Lyngsat as the programming reference guide for many years and SATCODX before that. But the MPEG failures I keep seeing don't make any sense; I can't nail it down. I thought I did when I adjusted the TP frequency and got an instant lock only to find I lost the signal the next day. But I see others having this same problem. Am I making a common mistake? Is my older LNB biting me?

I have a big dish (10' Winegard) that requires the LNB mount to the feed horn assembly. Will an inline amp work or do I get something better than my 0.6dB Ku LNB? I'm figuring a ten foot dish and a 0.6 dB LNB should lock without complaining but I see I'm wrong.

I have a ham fest coming up in three weeks or so. This place usually has Primestar dishes for pennies. Are they worth setting up as a dedicate system dish for a couple of the birds (ie G10R)?

This place usually has Primestar dishes for pennies. Are they worth setting up as a dedicate system dish for a couple of the birds (ie G10R)?

Yes, I have 7 of them. AMC 9, G11, IA 6, G3, AMC 1 & G10. Other dish splits between IA 8 and AMC 3. Planning an 8th this fall for AMC 3 24/7.

I got my Invacom QPH-031 LNBF yesterday. I was surprised what a difference it made on the Tube transponder on G10R. My Twinhan card lately has been getting quality 10-14% (below 15% it is unwatchable) with my .6 LNB. With the new LNBF quality jumped to 20-23% without any adjustment of the dish/lnb, I hope to get even more later.
Now I can finally watch the Tube again!

I just located one for $82 shipped, hopefully I will have it in a few days. :D

Prices keep going up :(. I bought my first Primestar dish for $25 in 2000. That's including the shipping price which went up after it was shipped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)