This is.....weird

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
As odd as it might sound for some reason PBS world comes in far better on my voom box under OTA than on my cable! There's far more pixelization and it doesn't appear on any other channel...tried rebootign the box several times but with the same results.

OTA version should be 100% pure and direct to you and the one via your cable company is 2nd generation at least and likely compressed. Direct reception should always be better. IMHO.

My OTA PBS channel is my "HD benchmark" - no other HD channel on the sat beats it, some are roughly equivalent. And this is with my local PBS channel b'casting HD plus 3 additional SD subs (two of which look horrible). I hope they continue to allocate the BW to the HD channel. Based on this experience I am inclined to say OTA HD is superior to what the sat provides, but others have had a lot of problems with theirs, depending on how much the station is trying to cram into their allocated space. I don't have any cable HD experience...

Here in greater Hartford, WEDH-DT (PBS) digital channel 42 isn't on the air yet. Comcast of New Britain and Hartford have a cable-only feed of CPTV (Connecticut Public Television). It's strange because only about 90% of the screen is filled during the day (more than a traditional pillarbox but not quite the whole widescreen). I also receive PBS-HD on the channel once they've signed off for the night. (I'm using a QAM tuner on my Sanyo 26" LCD HDTV.) Even stranger is the fact that CPTV has the digital on for their Norwich and Bridgeport stations but not their "parent" (WEDN-DT 45 and WEDY-DT 52, respectively).

KML0224 said:
Here in greater Hartford, WEDH-DT (PBS) digital channel 42 isn't on the air yet. Comcast of New Britain and Hartford have a cable-only feed of CPTV (Connecticut Public Television). It's strange because only about 90% of the screen is filled during the day (more than a traditional pillarbox but not quite the whole widescreen). I also receive PBS-HD on the channel once they've signed off for the night. (I'm using a QAM tuner on my Sanyo 26" LCD HDTV.) Even stranger is the fact that CPTV has the digital on for their Norwich and Bridgeport stations but not their "parent" (WEDN-DT 45 and WEDY-DT 52, respectively).

Actually, the latest I heard is that WEDH-DT will be on channel 45 and the Norwich station will use channel 9, that is if the dispute with WABC-DT, also channel 45, ever gets resolved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts