This Pie Chart explains it all. HD-DVD in trouble.

I have no interest in either camp, so I think I can say this objectively.... :cool:

If you go to the link within the article and look at all 5 pie charts, you will see that the share that is EXCLUSIVELY Blu-Ray is decreasing for the last couple of years. The share that is exclusively HD-DVD stayed about the same. The share that covers BOTH formats grew for the last couple of years.

Add the tidbit in the 5-chart article that most foreign studios are going with HD-DVD, and it looks like there's still life in the old girl. I would say both formats will be around -- Blu-Ray predominantly in U.S. for mainstream Hollywood titles and HD-DVD for foreign and Indy studios (perhaps because it is cheaper?).

I think I want a player (or players) to view BOTH formats. I am leaning toward the LG BH100 dual format player -- or maybe I will wait until the next generation players. I don't own any HD player right now.

Does anybody have anything good to say about the BH100?? Or are we about to see a dual format HD player that is a lot better? :confused:

Does anybody have anything good to say about the BH100?? Or are we about to see a dual format HD player that is a lot better? :confused:

Well, besides seeing it go close to a thousand bucks on eBay, it doesn't fully support HD DVD'sHDi features, nor Blu-rays. Oct. 1 BD 1.1 features.

I'd wait for the Samsung BD-UP5000 due out this fall, promising to support both. Hopefully it will be priced much less.

I lean toward the Sharp coming out in 4th Quarter. Just waiting for more specs, and info on any competing BD player. No longer interested in a dual format player. I might pay an extra $200 for one, and it would have to support both formats fully, but that ain't gonna happen.

Why do people care? If you would've just waited 6 months, you couldve bought both players for the price you paid for one. If you would wait another year, I'm sure the debate will be pointless.

Honestly, HD on a dvd is a lot less impressive than HD Broadcast football, etc. DVDs are already 16:9 (or close depending on the film) and the difference while not negligible is not nearly as noticeable as HD OTA stuff.

Why do people care? If you would've just waited 6 months, you couldve bought both players for the price you paid for one. If you would wait another year, I'm sure the debate will be pointless.

Honestly, HD on a dvd is a lot less impressive than HD Broadcast football, etc. DVDs are already 16:9 (or close depending on the film) and the difference while not negligible is not nearly as noticeable as HD OTA stuff.

Something must be wrong with your setup or your eyes

The pie chart is just another way of showing what has already been said in the past... More studios exclusively support BD than HD-DVD. More studio support and more player manufactuer support has always been BD big selling point. Lower price has always been HD-DVD's selling point. The only problem is that the BD players are moving down in price (slowly), squeezing out the big advantage of HD-DVD.

The only problem is that the BD players are moving down in price (slowly), squeezing out the big advantage of HD-DVD.

And does anyone honestly believe we would see a $499 BD player from Sony less than 8 months after introducing their $1000 1st gen player if Toshiba wasn't there pushing their $299 HD DVD player?

While most folks are moaning about this "format war" holding back adoption of high def disc media, I think it's the competition from HD DVD that's helping it go mainstream much more quickly by pushing down prices on players and pushing the studios to release more high def content.

I don't look forward to the day when Blu-ray is the only game in town. :(

I agree with you absolutely. But I won't send Toshiba a Thank You check. ;)

And does anyone honestly believe we would see a $499 BD player from Sony less than 8 months after introducing their $1000 1st gen player if Toshiba wasn't there pushing their $299 HD DVD player?

I agree completely. BD camp knows it too. I bet there is some real hate eminating from the BD camp towards Toshiba. I bought an HD-DVD player when it first came out and have not regretted the decision at all. Now BD prices are coming down, and I think I will splurge on a new PS3 next week at $499 with 5 free movies to take advantage of the price pressure Toshiba (and Microsoft and Nintendo) has put on Sony.

I have saluted Toshiba for making a great player, having a nice format and pushing the prices down. However, now they are getting rediculous as they are dangerously close to price fixing. Setting the price of their player so far below componet cost and selling at a loss for so long smacks of trying to control the maket.

And yet they are starting to lose big. Yet, I also agree that without Toshiba and the excellent HD-DVD titles that first came out we would not of had the progress in improvement for BD movies that we have had nor the move to lower cost players as fast as we have. But now it is time for Toshiba to do what Sony did during the VHS-BETA wars. Admit that you lost, pack up your product and come on over to the winning side. Seven months in a row of BD matching HD-DVD in stand alone sales (remember Toshiba had almost a 70,000 head start when the PS3 launched and now they are only ahead about 45,000 (source WSJ).

Add to that the increasing BD discs sales over HD-DVD sales even though in the last month HD-DVD new releases outnumber BD new release almost 3 to 1 and the result is visable. HD-DVD is not going to win this one -- the only question here is (the same as it was for Sony during the VHS=BETA wars) is when will Toshiba admit the loss and give up?

...now they are getting rediculous as they are dangerously close to price fixing. Setting the price of their player so far below componet cost and selling at a loss for so long smacks of trying to control the maket.

I thought that was what Sony was doing with the PS3.

Changing your MSRP is not price fixing though... making the stores sell at certain prices is.

If Sony called Circuit City and Target and said "hey, don't sell our stuff at $499", that would be price fixing.

"Setting the price of their player so far below componet cost and selling at a loss for so long smacks of trying to control the maket." - that is the definition of the Video Game business, and to a degree the home HD Disc business as well.

Either way, in the end it is about software, whether you're playing it with a remote or a controller, people need to buy it for a format to be successful.

Either way, in the end it is about software, whether you're playing it with a remote or a controller, people need to buy it for a format to be successful.

This is exactly what I have been saying all along. The most discs sales wins and right not that is BD holding steady and inching further ahead. If sales get to 80/20 then HD-DVD is done. 70/30 might give some hope but to move to 80/20 then the picture will become all too clear.

This is exactly what I have been saying all along. The most discs sales wins and right not that is BD holding steady and inching further ahead. If sales get to 80/20 then HD-DVD is done. 70/30 might give some hope but to move to 80/20 then the picture will become all too clear.
Clearly I will die in a fire on the way home for saying this but I more or less agree. I keep hoping that the cheap players will be the begining of a surge of momentum for HDDVD and keep it well above the water, but it just isn't happening so far, at least relatively speaking to BD sales.

compare this figures to SD DVD sales and then we are talking.

Basically BD/SD DVD and HD/SD DVD and then compare both ratios

Total HD disc sells are 1%. That means SD DVD is 99%. BD has 60% of the 1% and HDDVD has 40% of the 1%. The format war between BD/HDDVD is pretty much meaningless at this point and will not mean anything until there are more HDTVs in households. Presently they are both in trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts