This satellite worth it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That might not be so easy to repair properly. The threaded rod welded to the LNB feed arms ends looks like aluminum and the nuts were uncoated or zinc plated steel. (that's probably why they broke cause they were rusted solid to due dissimilar metal corrosion). Is it possible to weld steel to aluminum? If not then he'll have to get more aluminum threaded rod (maybe expensive or very hard to obtain ).
My recommendation would be to use stainless steel hardware to prevent further corrosion. He might get away with using what's left of the threaded rod without welding more to it but moving the nuts farther up might screw up his F/D setting.

You can't weld aluminum to steel. However, new aluminum threaded rods can be attached to the old arm using a TIG welder. TIG was designed for welding aluminum. I've fixed boats with 16 gauge aluminum hulls that had holes knocked in them running into a pier or rocks. I loaned a friend my Ranger aluminum hull boat to take to Canada and gave him explicit instructions that the ratchet could not be riding against the boat while driving down the road or it would wear a hole through the metal.

He never paid attention and when he brought the boat back, he had some jack leg try to fix it and it had a pin hole that he didn't get welded. I had to grind it all down and fix it right myself. I was hot under the collar. I loaned him the boat and let him use my cabin at Gin Lake in Canada for a week free of charge, and he screwed up my boat. It was a mess when it came back. I never let him use either again. :)

Those would probably prevent you from tightening the feed legs down far enough against the ribs and throw the focal distance off. Would almost have to replace the whole threaded rod. No easy solution to this problem unless now threaded rods were reattached to the leg.
Well it looked like in the pictures there was a lot of threaded rod left on the support arms. Might have to cut a little more off for length but I think there would be still room for a "jam nut" too.

Common folks, what are you talking about?! Where do you see aluminum here? Feedarms and threaded rods are made from usual galvanized metal. It is just look like white on the place it broke. Rods can also be INOX, but bolts, for sure are made of steel, as they are rusted. IMG_20171112_062616 (Large).jpg
Those are so unimportant details we are speaking right now. Main thing in all this is actually the mirror, the rest is just supplementary hardware.

Common folks, what are you talking about?! Where do you see aluminum here? Feedarms and threaded rods are made from usual galvanized metal. It is just look like white on the place it broke. Rods can also be INOX, but bolts, for sure are made of steel, as they are rusted. View attachment 129595
Those are so unimportant details we are speaking right now. Main thing in all this is actually the mirror, the rest is just supplementary hardware.
It's an aluminum dish and those are obviously,to my eye,aluminum struts.If the outfit that made the dish had gone to the expense of using stainless for the dish,they wouldn't have cheaped out and used steel hardware.

The nuts are definitely steel, but the rods look like aluminum to me. Like Wvman said, someone who can tig weld can fix that.

If they are galvanized and someone welds it for you, do it outside or in a very well ventilated area, the fumes created from a galvanized coating burning while welding are toxic. Looks like aluminum to me though.

I think TS can shed some light on the issue of materials used. I am pretty sure that feedarms and welded threaded rods should be from same material. If feedarms are from aluminum than rods are also, or they both galvanized.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts