ThisTV leaving Tulsa on March 9th

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Looks like ThisTv on KQCW 19.2 will go dark in Tulsa on the morning of March 9th. There is a scroll running occasionally from ThisTV thanking viewers and they've told people on facebook that Griffin Communications is not renewing the contract. I noticed it when I went through the Tivo guide for next week to see if there was anything I wanted to DVR and it said SIGN OFF starting March 9th in the guide.

David Griffin gives me another reason to dislike the Griffin family and continue avoiding Griffin Communications and Griffin Food products. They already dropped ThisTV in OKC when they bought KSBI and now have decided to do the same in Tulsa. One of the worst Oklahoma owned companies. :(

As usual, I can't get anything out of them. I don't think there is going to be any replacement programming. Knowing those idiots, they will just simulcast the 24/7 news loop from KOTV on KQCW too. It's sad they have some very nice engineers that have gone out of their way to help me on various problems over the years, but the management there is just pitiful.

My bigger fear is Griffin has made this move and plans on selling the spectrum and shutting down KQCW in the coming incentive auction and leave the CW programming in SD on the subchannel for KOTV.

Edit. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually shutdown KOTV and moved both stations to KQCW. KOTV is going to have move off of digital channel 45 anyway. KQCW is down on digital channel 20.

Looks like ThisTv on KQCW 19.2 will go dark in Tulsa on the morning of March 9th. There is a scroll running occasionally from ThisTV thanking viewers and they've told people on facebook that Griffin Communications is not renewing the contract. I noticed it when I went through the Tivo guide for next week to see if there was anything I wanted to DVR and it said SIGN OFF starting March 9th in the guide.

David Griffin gives me another reason to dislike the Griffin family and continue avoiding Griffin Communications and Griffin Food products. They already dropped ThisTV in OKC when they bought KSBI and now have decided to do the same in Tulsa. One of the worst Oklahoma owned companies. :(

As usual, I can't get anything out of them. I don't think there is going to be any replacement programming. Knowing those idiots, they will just simulcast the 24/7 news loop from KOTV on KQCW too. It's sad they have some very nice engineers that have gone out of their way to help me on various problems over the years, but the management there is just pitiful.

My bigger fear is Griffin has made this move and plans on selling the spectrum and shutting down KQCW in the coming incentive auction and leave the CW programming in SD on the subchannel for KOTV.

Edit. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually shutdown KOTV and moved both stations to KQCW. KOTV is going to have move off of digital channel 45 anyway. KQCW is down on digital channel 20.

Why would they move to KQCW? Anyway I will miss ThisTV in Tulsa. As a cord-cutter I welcome good streaming content. This..no pun...was a good source. Nothing OTA is as good. I don't believe there is any way for aficionados to find another source for this...channel. I am really disappointed. I will adapt but where are the good old days when one could rely on most institutions to be reliable fixtures in our lives? Mr. Griffin is off my Christmas card list period.
So long to one of my favorite all time ota tv stations you will be remembered. Still--- I will never pay for cable again.

Why would they move to KQCW? Anyway I will miss ThisTV in Tulsa. As a cord-cutter I welcome good streaming content. This..no pun...was a good source. Nothing OTA is as good. I don't believe there is any way for aficionados to find another source for this...channel. I am really disappointed. I will adapt but where are the good old days when one could rely on most institutions to be reliable fixtures in our lives? Mr. Griffin is off my Christmas card list period.
So long to one of my favorite all time ota tv stations you will be remembered. Still--- I will never pay for cable again.
Because of the upcoming repack and FCC incentive auction of the OTA spectrum. KOTV will need to move off channel 45 and the suggested opening bid for KOTV to just shutdown and give up its spectrum is $175 million. Griffin could shut down KOTV take the money and put both CW and CBS programming on KQCW. I'm probably wrong and KOTV will just relocate to the lower UHF frequencies or to VHF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I found this, maybe that can better explain your situation in Tulsa OSU.

https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/incentive-auctions/primer-broadcasters

Now back to your post on the KOTV/KQCW situation. It sets up a pretty bad picture and its a perfect scenario with this auction mess. Since KQCW is a subchannel of KOTV yeah you could very well be right about a worst case with KQCW and or KOTV. Been nice if Griffin would put This on KOTV but we know now that aint happening. I cant figure out why griffin would sell or shutdown the major affiliate station (KOTV) and put all the programming on the CW one (KQCW) when the KQCW is a sub of KOTV already. You would think they'd try to keep the CBS affiliate. Sounds like Griffin is moving backwards. This auction will have alot of people irate and worried because we all have really have no idea what we could lose off our antennas. I would hate to see some of my stations move from uhf to vhf since alot of mine are uhf. I hope everything works out for you with Griffin and KOTV/KQCW.

I found this, maybe that can better explain your situation in Tulsa OSU.

https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/incentive-auctions/primer-broadcasters

Now back to your post on the KOTV/KQCW situation. It sets up a pretty bad picture and its a perfect scenario with this auction mess. Since KQCW is a subchannel of KOTV yeah you could very well be right about a worst case with KQCW and or KOTV. Been nice if Griffin would put This on KOTV but we know now that aint happening. I cant figure out why griffin would sell or shutdown the major affiliate station (KOTV) and put all the programming on the CW one (KQCW) when the KQCW is a sub of KOTV already. You would think they'd try to keep the CBS affiliate. Sounds like Griffin is moving backwards. This auction will have alot of people irate and worried because we all have really have no idea what we could lose off our antennas. I would hate to see some of my stations move from uhf to vhf since alot of mine are uhf. I hope everything works out for you with Griffin and KOTV/KQCW.

CW has it's own channel KQCW 19.1 HD (real channel UHF 20) it is also a subchannel on sister network KOTV 6.2 (real channel UHF 45) for viewers/cable systems along the Kansas border that cant reliably receive KQCW because its transmission tower is further south in the DMA than most of the other Tulsa station towers.

If they were going to shut one down and share both networks on a single channel, then KOTV is the one to sell as it has more value and they are going to have some future costs in having to move KOTV off channel 45

Attachments

• Reverse Auction Opening Prices 101615 Attachment.pdf
    260.4 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: localclassictvfan
CW has it's own channel KQCW 19.1 HD (real channel UHF 20) it is also a subchannel on sister network KOTV 6.2 (real channel UHF 45) for viewers/cable systems along the Kansas border that cant reliably receive KQCW because its transmission tower is further south in the DMA than most of the other Tulsa station towers.

If they were going to shut one down and share both networks on a single channel, then KOTV is the one to sell as it has more value and they are going to have some future costs in having to move KOTV off channel 45
I see your point in all this thanks. Now I know what to expect here in Lafayette Now.

And then CBS would be hard to get in the northern counties. No wonder local TV in Tulsa is f***ed up compared to OKC.

BTW, didn't KQCW once have a CP to move to KOTV's tower?

Not that hard to get with a decent antenna, unless you're in the extreme north or south. Uless you're trying to get ION from their Okmulgee tower or KRSU from Claremore. Like OKC they claim more area than they can actually cover. Ask those in Western Oklahoma how easy it is to get OKC. I think KOCO has been unreceivable for a year because of something at one of the translators.

It would make more sense to sell KQCW as that tower is further south out near Haskell whereas KOTV is in the main tower farm with the other major locals out along the turnpike northeast of Coweta.

I was just going by monetary value that KOTV has more value and some upcoming costs that are going to be incurred. I personally would hope that none of this occurs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: localclassictvfan
bummer

Its very possible now that Tribune owns 1/2 of it (not Weigel) the contract may be different than what Weigel was offering affiliates and they decided not to continue the asgreement

Speaking of the auction, I read there is a lawsuit going on halting it for the time being. Therefore maybe saving a worst case scenario with KOTV/KQWC. However OSU makes a good point with This being dropped next week and with the this auction eventually taking place, and possibly Griffin Selling KOTV. Griffin can make him some good cash selling the more valuable station (KOTV-CBS). It sets up a pretty interesting picture of what we can all expect from most markets. Then in my area you have the Nexstar/MG overlap which could end up in a similar situation.

Then in my area you have the Nexstar/MG overlap which could end up in a similar situation.
no it wont. As part of the Nexstar/MG buyout Nexstar has to divulge one station to someone else. (which we've already discussed numerous times)

OSU's example....the owner already owns both stations so they can do what they want.

no it wont. As part of the Nexstar/MG buyout Nexstar has to divulge one station to someone else. (which we've already discussed numerous times)

OSU's example....the owner already owns both stations so they can do what they want.
True, should have caught on to it earlier that it wasn't the same thing. I know it's not in the market I live in I wanna see what transpires with Mr. Griffin and the future with KOTV/KQWC.

What do you want to hear? ThisTV was dropped and hasn't been replaced with anything
I made the comment because ThisTV was replaced by American Sports Network in my Market, DMA whatever, I already knew you didn't have a This Replacement when it was dropped, you posted that already. I'm just saying that losing ThisTV period and losing ThisTV to a rerun sports network is probably about the same. You ever waited for a station to launch a subnetwork then findout its the one you least expected to see. Don't get me wrong but ThisTV was coming around with some better movies and tv series in the last year. Maybe we'll get it back again in Lafayette and Tulsa...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCKS-LD Added This TV back on 11,Jewelry TV on 12 Vibrant TV on 12 to replace the Works.
Also KNPG-LD NBC coming to St. Joesph,MO.
Being the DUMMY THAT I AM LOL (UMM SIGH), I'll answer your question.....YOU HAVE THISTV ON WDAF ALREADY......this conversation is about OSU1991 losing THISTV earlier in the year on the CW affiliate and the owner not replacing it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts