Those annoying Vista security popups.

Start->Settings->Control Panel
Switch to classic view. User Accounts.
Turn User Account Control on or off.

Will get a security alert about this every time you boot. But the popups will be gone.

This might not fix the e-mail problem. Have never seen that.

Diogen.
That fixes most of the anoyances. First thing I did after installing Vista. Otherwise it is unuseable IMO.

Last edited:
lakebum431- Smith is usually pretty well informed on this stuff. I took his post to mean that my questions stumped him and he was off to do a internet search. He never came back so I suspect he got lost as I did trying to find the solution before posting here. Of all the links, I read none made the answer very easy on the network access. Buried in one of the links was the suggestion to add "Guest" to one of the places deep in the menus. Vista sure doesn't make it very easy.

I did discover that the Registry hack suggested in one of the links was not necessary to achieve the result.

To those who bemoan Vista, I agree. Nothing wrong with XP, in my opinion as I feel most of what Vista is all about is bloat. However, if you find you need to run an application that requires a larger computer power then I feel Vista is a better choice. Actually the experts, those who designed my application said it was the better choice. You see, I run Vegas editing on a number of XP computers just fine for standard def video editing. But when I began to work in Mpeg4 high definition and Blu Ray authoring projects, the system just would not move along. I needed a 64 bit OS and minimum of quad core and 8Gb of ram. That combination of power suggested Vista 64bit. It works fine except for the annoyances mention in this thread. With my wife's new computer, all that was available is Vista and better laptops now come standard 64bit version of Vista and 4 Gb of ram. Otherwise I would have opted for XP if it was available. But given the choice and not needing to do High Def video editing, I would be happy to remain XP with 2Gb of ram in my computers forever.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the actual usefulness of UAC. Perhaps it could be implemented better, but I appreciate the occasional warning that something is about to launch itself into administrative privileges, especially if it is something I actually don't want to happen. At least a couple of times for me anyway the answer to "are you sure" has been NO. If you turn off UAC you don't get that opportunity.

I agree, not too long ago I was un RARing a "song" with a very long name (long enough that winRAR displayed ... before the extension. This was the 6th of 9 that I was doing at the time so I was kinda in autopilot. Un RARed it, opened the folder, saw a Media Player Icon, double clicked it to make sure it played, and got a UAC popup. Turns out it was an .exe but the file name was long enough to push that fact off the screen. Granted, I should have been being more careful, but UAC for all it's hassles save me that once. no one can be 100% vigilant at all times, and UAC is just one more check mark for me. Now, I will be honest that before SP1 and while installing an initial system (10+ drivers, and 20 - 30 programs), or while trying to troubleshoot something, it's a royal pain in the ass. I usually disable it for those periods of time, but now that everything is up and running, I only get a UAC about once a week, if that often.

I am not troubled by the UAC. Yes, when setting up a new computer and installing it pops up a lot, but once you have your computer installed I rarely see it. What annoys men is all the third party updaters that pop up (apple, adobe, etc) that want to check for updates and trigger UAC. I like the UAC for those that are not computer savy (like parents) who will call if they get it and I can approve it. Much less of a time hassle for me then having to undo a bad whatever they did and hosed their machines.

I am not troubled by the UAC. Yes, when setting up a new computer and installing it pops up a lot, but once you have your computer installed I rarely see it. What annoys men is all the third party updaters that pop up (apple, adobe, etc) that want to check for updates and trigger UAC. I like the UAC for those that are not computer savy (like parents) who will call if they get it and I can approve it. Much less of a time hassle for me then having to undo a bad whatever they did and hosed their machines.

I uninstall all those auto-updaters to keep the memory and process list as clean as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts