Security system HDD problem

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have a 4 camera with DVR system. (Monoprice cheap) It has a 1TB WD DVR drive in it. It has performed great for over a year. But now when the hard drive is full, it won't erase and record over properly. Instead of 1 hour video files it's making 1 minute length video files which is useless. I have to format the drive and then it records properly until it's full again. Any thoughts? HDD or DVR?

Mine doesn't offer an option like that. I can set the file quality and length in 15min increments to an hour. And I can turn "Overwrite" on and off, but cannot affect how much HDD is used. But after reviewing a lot of things I discovered that I had one channel set to record in a different format than the others. This may have been my issue. I will know in a couple of weeks or so when the HDD is full again. Thanks for your response :)

That was it. Having the one channel set to record in a different format confused the OS of the DVR when it came to over writing the full HDD. All is good again :)

Rehashing an old problem. The security system recording problem did not go away/ get fixed :( But it takes a week to figure that out every time. I finally bought a new WD Purple HDD and put that in the unit and no difference. I started shopping for a replacement Security DVR and wasn't finding a lot of choice, and nothing inexpensive. So I started shopping new systems. But as a last resort I called Monoprice tech support. I know it was out of warranty but figured they put their name on it maybe they would be proud enough to talk about problems after warranty. Well I was pleasantly surprised. Not only do they have an English speaking tech support, they actually have people who care. Wow!! Being out of warranty was a non-issue. He attacked the problem with all his resources. I spent almost an hour working with him and checking things out. He thought of something I hadn't tried yet, but a week later still the same problem. But two thumbs up for Monoprice tech support. Hard to find that in a Chinese imported world. I decided to take out my new HDD and put it in the new system I bought. I put the old drive back in. It records a week anyway. And while I was swapping drives I noticed a hot spot on the circuit board inside. Sure enough there was a broken solder joint. Bad spot to try and repair though. So I improvised and made the circuit whole again. In a week I'll know ;)

Eight days later and the problem seems to be resolved. :) I found the stats for the HDD and found it wasn't actually getting full at all. It will hold 4 weeks of recordings before recording over old recordings at this resolution. The fault would interrupt the recording process after one week no matter the size of the HDD. I will keep an eye on this and see if it actually can properly manage the drive over the next couple of months. If so, I will call it fixed :)

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts