Thoughts on using a signal combiner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
What is everyones thoughts on using a combiner to combine my OTA antenna and a satellite signal? I have never used one and have just ran dedicated lines. Are they too good to be true? Do you give up any signal quality? Comments good or bad are appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Diplexers work GREAT with analog cable or off air signals and satellite, I use them ALL the time!

no issues here. Used them to diplex a antenna and a FTA signal to my bedroom FTA box. Can't have 2 lines so it works fine

Thanks for the info! I think I will use that to combine my OTA antenna and FTA dish - and use the line I already have buried to carry those into the house. That way it saves me from burying the cables and risk hitting one of the many that is already buried!

I just added a pair onto my order from Sadoun. They are going to get tired of me adding things to my order :) They are only $7 for a set of 2! (they have them as cheap as $5!). Radio Shack in town wants $20 for ONE!

I try to stay away form Radio Shack. The last time I went there, I needed 4 f connectors. I like the ones with the silicon and O ring. They are like 5 bucks for 2 at rat shack. Anyway, I drive into town, they have 1 and a half packages - 3 connectors! I usually order online, but needed these. I found Sadoun has them for the best price - $14 for 100!!! So I figure every time I order something from them I will through those on and saves on shipping :)

I try and stay away from Rat Shack too. They're a block from me and I'm an ex-employee :)

-They never have what I need
-Prices are outrageous (sadly I know what the markup is on alot of the parts)
-The people there think they know what they are doing but are clueless. I went in one day to get a couple hi frequency splitters (needed to split the LNB to go to an anlog & digital receiver) and the guy was arguing with me that "you cannot split a satellite signal". I kept telling him "yes you can. I'm not working with Dish or Direct. I'm working with an old C-Band setup". Guy stops in his tracks and says "what's that?" After explaining to him its a big dish he says "why would you want that crap?"
I laughed, told him to ring me up, and left.

And the next employee who asks me about switching my cell phone to Cingular, I'm going to shove that phone up his you know what. Apparently the words "I AM IN A CONTRACT" doesn't register to them

Every time I end up in Radio Shack I get asked questions by customers who see me eyeing the splitter/video connector area. It's funny, because half the time the RS employee has no idea how to answer their questions and tells me I should work there.

Umm, no thanks :)

Their markups ARE ridiculous, but if you look around the store, you can often find yellow-tag clearance items for a reasonable price. That's usually why I'm in there...

Last edited:
I guess I am old fashion. I think that as an employee, you should know what you sell. The times that I do go to RS, I have looked at their online catalog, have the cat # with me and know exactley what I want. I understand they make a lot of money selling cell phones and sat systems, but I think they should know about their other products too. I have 2 RS's in our area, and at one of them, the manager there has asked me about working there. I might actually consider that RS as somewhat decent, as the manager their actually knows a lot more than most. But I have been there before, and he has looked at me and said :you would know better about that than me" :) KInda flattering :) The other thing I don't like about them is that around here, whatever I seem to buy has been returned and looks in used condition. BUt back to the topic. The signal combiner is gonna be a lifesaver for me, as I have several cables buried in my yard, and I have only one area next to the house on that side that is not cement (patio and such, so all the cables are buried in a small area. I hate the thought of burying another one as I am bound to hit a cable sooner or later!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)