Dish Aiming Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
With my FTA system that is on order, I am receiving a satellite finder meter kit. It has a compass and satellite meter. I have never used a compass or meter to aim the dishes I have set up, and was just wondering, do these little devices really work as good as they appear? It seems it will make it much more accurate. Before, I had my wife or daughter inside with an FRS radio announcing what the sat strength was as I sloooowly moved the dish :) ANy tips or hints? THANKS!

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
My opinion:

The cheap little 8 to 10 dollar meters don't do anything for me. They aren't very practical on anything close to a DBS satellite. The weaker signal is always overpowered by the stronger one. I prefer my receiver and a small TV outside by the antenna.

A compass? A++++
I like my lensatic compass. (Has a small magnifying glass for more accuracy.)

Edit: Changed lenticular to lensatic.

Last edited:

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Also, don't move your antenna too fast. Allow the receiver time to process the signal.

iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Thanks for the thoughts! I don't think normally I would buy one. But, this kit came free, so what the heck. I will try it out. The compass might be nice, as then I know the general area to point it and won't waste my time hunting. But, I have set up several dss dishes over the years with the tv method. I have gotten it down pretty good. I just need to not overtighten things, as it always seems that I have a strong signal, and when I start to tighten things, then it drops a little.

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
compass is A+ in my book

the cheapo meters...screw it...I lug my 19" TV out and my Pansat 1500 when I aim my Dish farm. Since the dishes arew either on my deck or on the roof (10 feet up) its easier that way.

iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
My antenna building is my shed/workshop located about 60' from my house. I mount everything there as it is in the clear, and then I don't heve holes in my roof of the house :) That shed looks like the small town cable companies receiving station :)

voomvoom

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
Lizella, Georgia Republic
I have to agree with Iceberg and 123tim on this. I've never had any luck with an in-line meter. Compass is a great tool. If possible, a tv using the receivers meter is the best option. I also use a Magnetic Protractor.

Al

Eastcoast

Eastcoast

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2006
Newfoundland,Canada
I've got to say these guys Iceberg and Pete give excellent advice to anyone trying to find their first Sat, I too am new to FTA and can also say from my trials even using a PH spectrum Analyzer(that is worth more then my house)the best method is to take the receive and tv out to the dish and get the best quality you can, I used a 5inch walmart tv that has audio/video jack on back.

Dave

iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
My wife and daughter know exactley what to do. And my daughter (8 years old) LOVES to talk on the FRS radios :)

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
iafirebuff said:
My wife and daughter know exactley what to do. And my daughter (8 years old) LOVES to talk on the FRS radios :)
I'd be interested in hearing how this works out :) Keep us posted.

I have to apologize for my second post saying not to move the antenna too fast. Somehow I overlooked you saying "I had my wife or daughter inside with an FRS radio announcing what the sat strength was as I sloooowly moved the dish "

Good luck!

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I did an install once where I didnt have power to do the TV idea (power was a good 50 feet away and there was snow on the ground)

So I had one FRS radio and the guy in the house was reading off the quality on the receiver :)

iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Before I had FRS radios, I used a cordless phone. I just waited until the dial tone went away and I went out with the cordless. Then my wife would be inside on the phone reading the meter readings to me. I LOVE the FRS radios! Works good when I am working on stuff in tight places and can use that to find out what it going on, instead of having to go up and down ladders, etc.

PSB

PSB

On vacation
Nov 5, 2003
I carry them ALL!

Proffesional Satellite ID meter

Satellite meter (digital with lights and tone)

Small TV and receiver

FRS radios

Two cans and a long piece of string!

You just never know........

F

Freekmastr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 7, 2006
Other Side

Im totally new to all of this but I have to admit that I used an inline signal meter to find my satellites and it worked wonderfully.:D

iafirebuff

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I will give it a try to for giggles :) I probably will just go back to how I have always done it though :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.