Dish Aiming Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
With my FTA system that is on order, I am receiving a satellite finder meter kit. It has a compass and satellite meter. I have never used a compass or meter to aim the dishes I have set up, and was just wondering, do these little devices really work as good as they appear? It seems it will make it much more accurate. Before, I had my wife or daughter inside with an FRS radio announcing what the sat strength was as I sloooowly moved the dish :) ANy tips or hints? THANKS!

My opinion:

The cheap little 8 to 10 dollar meters don't do anything for me. They aren't very practical on anything close to a DBS satellite. The weaker signal is always overpowered by the stronger one. I prefer my receiver and a small TV outside by the antenna.

A compass? A++++
I like my lensatic compass. (Has a small magnifying glass for more accuracy.)

Edit: Changed lenticular to lensatic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts! I don't think normally I would buy one. But, this kit came free, so what the heck. I will try it out. The compass might be nice, as then I know the general area to point it and won't waste my time hunting. But, I have set up several dss dishes over the years with the tv method. I have gotten it down pretty good. I just need to not overtighten things, as it always seems that I have a strong signal, and when I start to tighten things, then it drops a little.

compass is A+ in my book

the cheapo meters...screw it...I lug my 19" TV out and my Pansat 1500 when I aim my Dish farm. Since the dishes arew either on my deck or on the roof (10 feet up) its easier that way.

My antenna building is my shed/workshop located about 60' from my house. I mount everything there as it is in the clear, and then I don't heve holes in my roof of the house :) That shed looks like the small town cable companies receiving station :)

I have to agree with Iceberg and 123tim on this. I've never had any luck with an in-line meter. Compass is a great tool. If possible, a tv using the receivers meter is the best option. I also use a Magnetic Protractor.

Al

I've got to say these guys Iceberg and Pete give excellent advice to anyone trying to find their first Sat, I too am new to FTA and can also say from my trials even using a PH spectrum Analyzer(that is worth more then my house)the best method is to take the receive and tv out to the dish and get the best quality you can, I used a 5inch walmart tv that has audio/video jack on back.

Dave

iafirebuff said:
My wife and daughter know exactley what to do. And my daughter (8 years old) LOVES to talk on the FRS radios :)
I'd be interested in hearing how this works out :) Keep us posted.

I have to apologize for my second post saying not to move the antenna too fast. Somehow I overlooked you saying "I had my wife or daughter inside with an FRS radio announcing what the sat strength was as I sloooowly moved the dish "

Good luck!

I did an install once where I didnt have power to do the TV idea (power was a good 50 feet away and there was snow on the ground)

So I had one FRS radio and the guy in the house was reading off the quality on the receiver :)

Before I had FRS radios, I used a cordless phone. I just waited until the dial tone went away and I went out with the cordless. Then my wife would be inside on the phone reading the meter readings to me. I LOVE the FRS radios! Works good when I am working on stuff in tight places and can use that to find out what it going on, instead of having to go up and down ladders, etc.

I carry them ALL!

Proffesional Satellite ID meter

Satellite meter (digital with lights and tone)

Small TV and receiver

FRS radios

Two cans and a long piece of string!

You just never know........

Other Side

Im totally new to all of this but I have to admit that I used an inline signal meter to find my satellites and it worked wonderfully.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts