Three HD Setup - How many DVRs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kagato

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I've finished my "Man-Cave" and have added a third TV to my setup. All TVs are HD. Currently have Dish network and a 722. 4 Coax runs from the outside. My spouse and I have very different viewing habits so we often using all three tuners. (2 Sat + 1 OTA). Because of the limitations of the 722 the 2nd TV only gets SD via COAX. I'm looking to switch to DirecTV for the MRV options.

My question is this, What setup would you recommend:

1) 1 HD DVR + 2 HD Receivers. (Optional Add OTA module)

Pros: Cheapest Entry point. Able to record 2 + 1.
Cons: Limited number of streams at once.

2) 2 HD DVRs + 1 HD Receiver

Pros: Able to record 4 streams. May not need OTA module.
Cons: HD DVRs can't change each others programs

3) 2 HD DVRs + 2 HD Receivers

Pros: Ability to have 2 of the TVs "seamlessly" adjust schedule.
Cons: Most Expensive. Highest probability of installer push-back. The DVR TV would not be able to schedule the other DVR.

Am I missing anything on the pros and cons?

Current Install Details:

Currently I only use 1 coax run to the Dish, but I actually have 4 cable runs from being an early adopter of Dish Network HD. The 4 ables run past the Man Cave TV area and then up to the main room TV. There is a run of coax going from the Main Room TV area to the bedroom. Each location also has wired Gigabit Ethernet.

Currently I have a two dishes. One pointed at 61 (not used anymore) and one fairly current Multi-LNB dish (used). Both are attached to the side facia of the roof line and not the roof itself. Bonus question, will the installer hassle me about location? I know they love to put holes in the roof.

On option 1. You can only record two shows per DVR. Even with the OTA module you will still only have two recordings at the same time.

Option 2 would be a good option. You record what ever you want on your dvr, and she can record what ever she wants on her dvr. And with mrv all your recordings can be shared on all hd receivers in the house.

You may have your "man cave" but, she has the rest of the house.:)

If you need the option to record three programs like you can with your existing setup, you need two DVRs.

Remember also that any one HD DVR can only serve up two TVs worth of recorded programming at any time.

The dish must go where it can see the satellites. If you want a problematic location but don't technically need it, it will likely be on your dime.

note: No, they won't take down your existing dishes without "encouragement".

I was hoping they might re-use the masts from the E* dishes. Path of least resistance. Sounds like Option 2 is the way to go. Thanks everyone!

I was hoping they might re-use the masts from the E* dishes. Path of least resistance. Sounds like Option 2 is the way to go. Thanks everyone!

If the Dish mast is 2" and if it can "see" the Directv satellites there is no reason they can't use it.

I'd go with option 2 as well. There may be an upgrade in the future that allows scheduling between DVRs.
If OTA is needed, then get one AM21 for one of the DVRs.

I was hoping they might re-use the masts from the E* dishes.
DIRECTV needs a 2" mast and two "monopole" stabilizers for their HD dishes.

DISH uses 1-5/8" masts (as did DIRECTV until the behemoth dishes). DISH seems to have gone to using struts on their larger dishes as well.

DIRECTV needs a 2" mast and two "monopole" stabilizers for their HD dishes.

DISH uses 1-5/8" masts (as did DIRECTV until the behemoth dishes). DISH seems to have gone to using struts on their larger dishes as well.

I wish you would stop with the hyperbole, but I doubt you ever will. The AT9 and AU9 are not behemoths. Saying they are is stupid.
Kagato, I think some of the Dish setups used a 2" mast, but not many.

There may be an upgrade in the future that allows scheduling between DVRs.

Are you referring to the fact that, when scheduling from a DVR, programs can only be scheduled on that DVR? There are several ways around that such as scheduling from a non-DVR tuner (H24), the web or from a smartphone.

I have a similar config to what the OP is suggesting (actually, I have option 3, but also have 4 TVs) with MRV and can watch anything from any TV in the house (as well as a couple PC's). The "list" shows which DVR has the program recorded. I'm guessing a software upgrade to allow scheduling one DVR from another is probably not too far away.

I have 2 HD TVs and I have an HR24 DVR on each of them. We DVR a lot of stuff. I planned out how to switch from Dish to DirecTV by using a spreadsheet to schedule things on the DVRs such that we have the ability to watch live TV on either one at any time. I had one conflict when all tuners were occupied and we wanted to watch the local news at 10pm. So I switch that TV to OTA antenna, watch the news, and no issue. I have OTA direct to the TVs and if I want to record local programming, well my locals are on DirecTV. It simply becomes part of the DVR scheduling. My son also uses DirecTV2PC in his room to watch DVR'ed programming from whichever of the DVRs he has recorded a program on.

We're very happy with MRV and understand its limitations (can only stream ONE program from a DVR over network). I would LOVE to see a master scheduling capability. The abilty to sit at one DVR, schedule all DVRs (decide which DVR records a particular program), and resolve conflicts all in one place would be awesome. For us it's about the only piece missing.

For the OP I'd agree with option 2. In fact I might take it one step farther and get 3 DVRs, but that might just be my bias because of how heavily we record.

I wish you would stop with the hyperbole, but I doubt you ever will. The AT9 and AU9 are not behemoths. Saying they are is stupid.
Saying it is recognition that the Slimline dish is the largest standard dish required for high power DTH satellite reception in the lower 48. It is the biggest of the big.

Larger dishes are required only where medium-power (FSS) satellites are in play. DISH's FSS dish is 14 square inches smaller than the Slimline and their standard dish is about 15.5% (92 square inches) smaller.

Code:
Model                W x H     Area    Mast
DIRECTV Intl(FSS) 36.0 x 24.0  679    1.750
Slimline          32.5 x 22.5  592    2.000
DISH 1000+ (FSS)  30.9 x 23.8  578    1.625
DISH 1000.4       28.3 x 22.5  500    1.625
DISH 1000.2       25.9 x 20.7  421    1.625
  • all dimensions in inches (or square inches)
  • area based on regular ellipse area (Pi*major axis*minor axis)
  • International mast size from DIRECTV approved materials list May 2010
  • DISH 1000.4 uses DISH + mast

Saying it is recognition that the Slimline dish is the largest standard dish required for high power DTH satellite reception in the lower 48. It is the biggest of the big.

Larger dishes are required only where medium-power (FSS) satellites are in play. DISH's FSS dish is 14 square inches smaller than the Slimline and their standard dish is about 15.5% (92 square inches) smaller.

Code:
Model                W x H     Area    Mast
DIRECTV Intl(FSS) 36.0 x 24.0  679    1.750
Slimline          32.5 x 22.5  592    2.000
DISH 1000+ (FSS)  30.9 x 23.8  578    1.625
DISH 1000.4       28.3 x 22.5  500    1.625
DISH 1000.2       25.9 x 20.7  421    1.625
  • all dimensions in inches (or square inches)
  • area based on regular ellipse area (Pi*major axis*minor axis)
  • International mast size from DIRECTV approved materials list May 2010
  • DISH 1000.4 uses DISH + mast

Regardless of how it compares in size to any other dbs type dish, IT IS NOT A BEHEMOTH! Yeesh you are thick!

Regardless of how it compares in size to any other dbs type dish, IT IS NOT A BEHEMOTH!

I agree. Plus like we say in the FTA world....bigger is better :)
and with Dish switching to the D1000.4 for both arcs you're looking pretty much at the same size dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)