Three Mets skip team's visit to military hospital

Like I said, not all things are as black and white as they seem.....

...and sometimes you can actually go out of your way to visit a hospital for injured soldiers even if you have to rearrange your schedule a little. Everyone else did.

That's assuming they did not blow off the visit to spite Mets management, which would be MUCH worse.

Sandra

...and sometimes you can actually go out of your way to visit a hospital for injured soldiers even if you have to rearrange your schedule a little. Everyone else did.

That's assuming they did not blow off the visit to spite Mets management, which would be MUCH worse.

Sandra

Maybe they did...and maybe they did. But again, let' not assume all things are cut and dry.

Either way they were wrong to blow off injured soldiers.

Sandra

My initial reaction was one very similar to my colleague, friend, and fellow editor, Frank Gray. After the initial reaction passed, my thoughts on the matter started down a different path. I couldn't help but think how relevant there absence was in reality.

Personally, if I was on the team you wouldn't have had to ask me twice to go. That's the point. It was a personal decision. When a team makes an event optional, why do some feel it necessary to judge players that decide not to go?

How do we know what they already had planned? Let's not pretend that we understand what it is like to participate in the 162 game grind that is the MLB season. My guess is the grind is the main reason for the visit being optional in the first place.

I am the first to admit that Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo are not my favorite players. Their answers to why they did not attend didn't exactly help their cause. However, I am not surprised nor do I feel it is relevant to the team's performance.

I particularly have an issue with the venom spat towards Carlos Beltran. This is just another example of people wanting to find someone to blame for all that ails the Mets. Due to his frequent injuries and quiet demeanor, Beltran finds himself with a huge target on his back when things go wrong for the Amazin's.

The man had a meeting with his charity foundation about building a school in Puerto Rico. How diabolical of him. For all of you conspiracy theorists, stop right there. This is not the type of meeting that gets scheduled over night.

I don't recall anyone writing an article about the time Beltran visited a veteran's hospital in New York (with owner Fred Wilpon nonetheless).

The truth of the matter is, when things are going wrong we look to point fingers. We tend to want to be able to find things to blame our woes on. No matter how relevant they really are.

I leave you with one question.

Would the reaction be the same if the Mets had a seven game lead in their division?

Mets Gazette: It's Scapegoat Time

And I found someone who agrees with me!!

That's why, on Tuesday, the New York Mets scheduled a team visit to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Are baseball players truly worthy of the adulation they receive? Not usually. But to the injured troops stationed at Walter Reed -- men and women who sacrificed so much for their country and now find themselves facing uncertain futures -- a visit from a major leaguer is a big deal.

Hence, the entire Mets roster made the trip -- David Wright and Jose Reyes, R.A. Dickey and Ike Davis, Angel Pagan and ... well, almost the entire roster. For reasons that range from insulting (Beltran said he had a meeting involving a high school he's building) to pathetic (Castillo said he gets squeamish) to pitiful(Perez said it's nobody's business), the three marquee Mets skipped out, infuriating teammates and calling into question their morality. " I have not spoken to anybody that didn't go, but I do have feelings about it," Dickey said afterward. "[Meeting the soldiers is] a big deal, and I take it very personally."

Mets Oliver Perez, Carlos Beltran skipped trip to Army hospital - Jeff Pearlman - SI.com

BTW - There is a difference between an 'optional event' and a team event that is not mandatory... :up

The Red Sox visited Walter Reed in 2008 (as part of their World Series winning White House visit). To a man, they said it was one of the most poignant things they ever experienced.

There was one player that didn't feel the need to visit these heroes............Manny Ramirez. That was one of the final straws leading to his Boston departure.

Last edited:
My initial reaction was disgust. But as I read through this thread and thought about it, I realized that it isn't quite that simple.

Maybe it's the cult of celebrity in this country and I shouldn't be surprised, but why are these athletes being held to an higher standard than the rest of society on this one? Can I get a show of hands from everyone that has gone to one of the many VA hospitals and thanked our troops in person? I'd guess that the percentage of sat guys members who have done so as opposed to the percentage of Mets that attended this optional event is probably far far less. I'm not saying that to judge, just to illustrate a point (I haven't attempted to thank our vets myself).

Athletes and celebrities are just people, just because they're famous or they make a ton of money for what they do doesn't mean they won't have faults like anyone else. They get paid to play baseball. The event wasn't mandatory (and I know plenty of normal people that avoid optional work functions because they're unhappy with their companies). Other than these guys being high profile, how is this fundamentally any different? Sure, maybe we'd like to see them give more of themselves because of their status as athletes, but what right do we have to treat them different and expect more? Sure their salaries are ridiculous, but that speaks to the need to re-examine our values as a society (why do we pay athletes and artists so much when teachers get paid crap?).

As a society, I think we're too obsessed with these individuals and need to worry more about our own actions. Putting these people on pedestals and expecting them to be good role models is not always going to work. They're just people doing their jobs. To expect them to be more than that is foolish (unless we make certain additional behaviors part of their job description). Otherwise, what happened here will happen again (as it does in real life with everyday people), some will choose to volunteer their time and others will not. Singling these guys out just perpetuates the fundamental problem, and that is that society puts them on some sort of a pedestal when they shouldn't be.

On the plus side, this thread has me thinking that I should make it a point to do some sort of volunteer work at the local VA hospital, or at least see if there's some way I can properly honor and thank injured vets for their sacrifice.

My initial reaction was disgust. But as I read through this thread and thought about it, I realized that it isn't quite that simple.

Maybe it's the cult of celebrity in this country and I shouldn't be surprised, but why are these athletes being held to an higher standard than the rest of society on this one? Can I get a show of hands from everyone that has gone to one of the many VA hospitals and thanked our troops in person? I'd guess that the percentage of sat guys members who have done so as opposed to the percentage of Mets that attended this optional event is probably far far less. I'm not saying that to judge, just to illustrate a point (I haven't attempted to thank our vets myself).

Athletes and celebrities are just people, just because they're famous or they make a ton of money for what they do doesn't mean they won't have faults like anyone else. They get paid to play baseball. The event wasn't mandatory (and I know plenty of normal people that avoid optional work functions because they're unhappy with their companies). Other than these guys being high profile, how is this fundamentally any different? Sure, maybe we'd like to see them give more of themselves because of their status as athletes, but what right do we have to treat them different and expect more? Sure their salaries are ridiculous, but that speaks to the need to re-examine our values as a society (why do we pay athletes and artists so much when teachers get paid crap?).

As a society, I think we're too obsessed with these individuals and need to worry more about our own actions. Putting these people on pedestals and expecting them to be good role models is not always going to work. They're just people doing their jobs. To expect them to be more than that is foolish (unless we make certain additional behaviors part of their job description). Otherwise, what happened here will happen again (as it does in real life with everyday people), some will choose to volunteer their time and others will not. Singling these guys out just perpetuates the fundamental problem, and that is that society puts them on some sort of a pedestal when they shouldn't be.

On the plus side, this thread has me thinking that I should make it a point to do some sort of volunteer work at the local VA hospital, or at least see if there's some way I can properly honor and thank injured vets for their sacrifice.

EXCELLENT post! And should be the post to end this thread!

And maybe their issues with METS management is so bad they used this time to spurn the team....who knows. Two of those guys aren't even US citizens and are in the US on work visas....Carlos Beltran, who is Puerto Rican....had his excuse.
Which makes him a US Citizen, as all Puerto Rican's are US Citizens under the Jones Act in 1917

Which makes him a US Citizen, as all Puerto Rican's are US Citizens under the Jones Act in 1917

AND I will ask you.....when have you had the priviledge to build a school? Not an easy thing to get out of...especially when it comes out of your pocket.

But I guess the fact that he made an earlier visit with the METS owner, Fred Wilpon, to a veterans clinic in NYC, was conveniently forgotten(#24).:rolleyes:

There is 3 of them, he said 2 of the three.

Luis Castillo- San Pedro de Macoris, San Pedro de Macoris Dominican Republic (Work Visa)

Oliver Perez-Culiacan, Sinaloa Mexico
(Work Visa)

AND I will ask you.....when have you had the priviledge to build a school? Not an easy thing to get out of...especially when it comes out of your pocket.

But I guess the fact that he made an earlier visit with the METS owner, Fred Wilpon, to a veterans clinic in NYC, was conveniently forgotten(#24).:rolleyes:
Why ask me? I haven't commented on this except to clarify that Puerto Rican's are US Citizens. I made no mention as to whether Beltran should or should not have gone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)